FYI PCA RULES CLARIFIED

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 01:45 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Arrow FYI PCA RULES CLARIFIED

Further to a previous post regarding PCA clarification for keeping a 993 in D stock class I sent an email to Lance Weeks who is the guy to ask about these things at PCA. Here is my Q and A from his email:

QUESTION: 1. SUSPENSION: As far as I understand after the last amendment of the PCA rules the RS type of sway bars would be out of the question if I want to stay within D stock. My biggest problem is the clarification about the perches and springs.. Would monoballs be out of the question? Would any monoball type of change in any bushings would be illegal? Can I have a "helper" spring? Can the shocks be adjustable like Moton's of Ohlins?

ANSWER:I don't recall that RS sway bars are cockpit adjustable, that is the only rule that cockpit adjustable sway bars are not legal in stock Rule Stock 2F. Monoballs are fine Rule Stock 2G, Springs are free Stock 2E, adjustable shocks are fine Stock 2B.

QUESTION: 2. AERO PACKAGE. As far as I understand anything that was offered by the factory would be considered legal. In that frame a factory RSCS tail would be illegal? How about the front spliters? Would an RS wind and front splitters keep me in D stock?

ANSWER: The bumpers and spoilers are free. Spoiler being without a leading edge (wing). Like the 3.8 RSR tail.Rule Stock 6F.

Hope that helps. Good luck and have fun.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:32 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Porsche factory 3.8 RSR's did have an upper wing which were run in several configurations all of which are illegal for PCA stock classes because spoilers cannot present a wing with a "leading edge". So, some people run the 3.8 RSR spoiler but remove the blade and fashion a sloping spoiler wall onto it.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:19 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts
I think the 3.8 RS tail is legal if the car is running as "prepared" and therefore up a class (or 2), provided the wing is below the roofline. At the SP Club Race in 2002 there were both an E prepared, and an F prepared car that were running bi-plane like tails, but without the extensions to raise the wing.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:17 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I was told as well like JC said that if you take the top of the wing out and just leave the rest of the tail you remain in stock without going to "prepared". If you choose to run with the top wing then you will get bumped a clas...
The rules clarification confirm the above.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:41 AM
Chris Picklo
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have the answer for this same question about stock "F" class and the 3.2 carrera? Can you use a ducktail/carrera tail/turbo tail, since they are all factory spoilers? Can you use lighter aftermarket replicas? Thanks!

Chris
Old 01-12-2004, 09:08 AM
James Achard
Pro

Chris, You can run a duck or any Carrera tail that is fibreglass since it's a spoiler( Spoilers are free). I wish I had a picture handy since I think that would clarify the matter regarding a wing vs. a spoiler.

Cheers, James
Old 01-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks for the clarification, Danny. Your first question gave me a scare since I hadn't read the amendment re RS swaybars supposedly being illegal in D stock.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Chris Picklo
User

James,

I've heard of "size limits", wanted to make sure. I'm looking to shave off some weight.

Chris
Old 01-12-2004, 08:51 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

My car as composed in my avatar is not legal. If I take the black "wing" part off, I am legal for stock D. Here's a better picture

Hope this helps. I went through the same thing at CMP in November. THat wing makes a huge difference as I spun no less than six times that weekend.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:07 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Fellas;

Just to clarify for those not understanding the "leading edge" bit, the rule as stated above says that any factory tail is fine, but said tail cannot have any element that presents a leading edge to the airflow over the car.

Since these cars did not come with wing elements like the 3.8 RSR, this rule is written to remove the possibility of gaining the downforce advantage of the aerofoil wing principal: Accelerating wind flow under the element relative to over it, creating low pressure under the wing element -vs- higher pressure over it. Low relative pressure would be a more accurate term than downforce, but the result is the same - more rear grip!

If the wing element is removed, no leading edge, no aerofoil-induced downforce. No rules infraction!

Old 01-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Just to be a PITA, questioning the simplicity of the leading edge exclusion, aren't 968 stock wings legal? They have a leading edge...

Or am I wrong and these aren't legal? Just merely curious, as I plan to race a 944, not a 968.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:12 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh wow ...where did you guys find my old post?
John is absolutely right about the rear wing. That is the way I run at D as well. Without the top element.
The rule specifically say that ANY wing that was offered as tequipment is LEGAL for the model. In other words the factory AERO KIT I or II with the bi-plane wing IS legal at D. Unfortunately the RSCS wing in question was only offered in Europe as tequipment but the double whammy here is that if you declare your car under Euro Specs by the rules automatically you get bumped up one class... The RSCS is the only wing proven from the tequipment stuff that actually provides downforce and ofcourse it can be adjusted in various degrees.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:29 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jack;

This would of course be legal in stock class because it came on the car from the factory. I've never looked that closely at them, but I don't believe they are a true aerofoil element anyway. These sort of work like the Ducktail. They manage the vortex, clean it up a bit and move it back off the car farther without getting up in direct airflow to cause drag.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:47 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by RedlineMan
Jack;

This would of course be legal in stock class because it came on the car from the factory. I've never looked that closely at them, but I don't believe they are a true aerofoil element anyway. These sort of work like the Ducktail. They manage the vortex, clean it up a bit and move it back off the car farther without getting up in direct airflow to cause drag.
Sorry John, but I have been explained otherwise by the PCA sruts. In short if it was not on the car model in question or was not offered in the US as a tequipment option then it counts as "prepared" mod therefore up one class.
The 968 spoiler while on the US 968 it was not offered on the 944 therefore it will be a prepared mod. You can update or back date on a specific model ie an 83 944 could be updated to S2 specs and via versa but not change wings between models.
I asked believe it or not if I could mount a GT3 rear spoiler which now is an official imported US car and was told that it would be a prepared mod...

That is why the RSCS wing counts as prepared because it was not offered on the US model 993...
Old 01-13-2004, 03:22 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Danny,
Actually, the US model 1991 S2 coupe had that "968" bridge spoiler. So I think you could add it, if you were running an 83 944 as an S2 <--sounds expensive!

I wonder how the scruts will see my car when I run my first race. My car is an '88 944 turbo to which I added a bridge spoiler off a '91 S2. I think I should be able to use this spoiler due to the following.

1990 and 1991 944 turbo's had this same spoiler, but they were Europe and Canada only. But those cars have no signifcant performance advantage over the US turbos, so it shouldn't bump me up a class. Worst case, I'll be switching rear hatches on race weekends. Thankfully, only takes 20 minutes or so.

Quick Reply: FYI PCA RULES CLARIFIED