finally... a new trailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 08:07 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Post finally... a new trailer

Just picked up my new Featherlite 24' enclosed trailer with forward cabinets & hatches. My 993 is lost in there! Can't wait to load it up with my track gear. Any ideas on a tire rack? I need to carry 2 sets of spare wheels/tires. Looks like aft on each side may be best. ?

I see a diesel dualee in my future...

After shopping like crazy for a used trailer the prices were 8-11K. This new unit was 10,600. No tile or a/c crap but a nice basic unit with good workmanship. Used units are overpriced.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:16 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Bill,
Congrats on the new trailer.
I am sure you could have someone rig up a tire rack but for the time I would just lay the tires on the floor and put a tie down over them. That should keep them from going anywhere.

I have seen guys use some aluminum beams and e-track to make a tire rack also.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:09 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I used a different method:
Sheet of 1/8" aluminum, bent like a "G" side view (sheet metal shops with a large brake can do this): the top is about 4", then the height of the wheel and tire plus about 2-4", then the bottom is the width of the tire plus 1-2", then the front of the "G" bends up about 6" and over to the inside 1" and down about 3". The front of the "G" creates a beam with lots of strength. I then mounted these to the trailer uprights using riv-nuts (5/16"), two on each upright. Two of these units with ends welded on and a center divider on each will fill your wall on the door (street) side but still leave you space at the front to put a PitPal helmet carrier. I can't take pictures very easily right now, but hopefully this gets the idea across.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:13 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bill,

Can you help guide me a little bit with your experience? I am in the market for a trialer as well as was thinking of a 20 to 21 foot size.

Anyway, any guidance would be appreciated!
Old 11-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Kary,
I have looked at enclosed trailers and the Featherlight seem to be one of the best and lightest. With that comes a price. If you are going to tow with anything less than a 3/4 ton truck or SUV you want to take weight into serious consideration. Also look at the Trailex enclosed trailers, they are light (1200lbs) but pricey.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:31 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was plesantly surprised at how easily my Toyota Tacoma tows the Featherlite with the car loaded. No issues.

I was looking at 20-22' but you are limited with the placement of the car. Also I wanted cabinets forward to keep my gear stored. The Featherlite is worth the extra $.

The car doors do not clear the inside wheel wells. Getting in and out of the car could be tough for big people.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:06 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by bill walczak:
<strong>

The car doors do not clear the inside wheel wells. Getting in and out of the car could be tough for big people.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Get a winch and a sturdy tow hook for the front of your car and just pull it on.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:31 PM
Ken T
Advanced

I am in the process of making a bit of a different tire rack solution. I had seen these before used by some of the tire manufacturers at proving grounds. Basically a portabe rack on casters that holds 4 mounted wheels/tires. Mine is out of aluminum square tubing with the exception of the cross beams where the tires contact is round. The material for 2 units was just over 100 bucks. I am now just welding them together with teh help of a friend. (No tig welder here). This way they are secure and I can roll them out of the trailer when I need them. I will post pictures when I am done. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:44 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

The portable tire rack sounds like a winner. I have plenty of room behind the car to secure a rack on wheels.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:11 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree that sounds like a good idea. Here is one that is already made.
<a href="http://www.mile-x.com/portirrac.html" target="_blank">http://www.mile-x.com/portirrac.html</a>
Old 11-24-2002, 03:18 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
When you mount the winch, place it on one side or the other and use a ******-block to make the cable turn to pull the car. Keeps the winch out of the way and away from your cabinets in the front.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:21 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Actually, Featherlite makes a winch compartment. It is under the floor with a trap door to get access to it. I don't know if it can be retrofitted but I suspect it can. They also have to add a battery to power the winch if you didn't get one for interior lights.

Bill, if you're interested, give Karen a call. They retrofitted a few things for me after I got the trailer.

Karl
Old 11-25-2002, 01:35 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Karl, Mrs Featherlite is Sharon so drop the Karen You 996 Cup Car guys are supposed supposed to have razor sharp brain storage.

I had some thing added before delivery. Looks like the mods are easy. I can get in and out of the car so I will hold off on the winch. I will be limited to Bud Light until I get a winch.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:42 PM
Arthur
Pro

Bill,
I think I saw your car at CMP for the Club Race. Yellow with red doors? Did you not have a tire rack with wet Hoosiers? What are you going to do with the old trailer? I am interested to free it from your hands if you are.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:23 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, that was me. I have not had a wet track day since I bought those wet Hoosiers.

I have a PCAer in New York who has been waiting for me to buy something and he has commited for it.

Quick Reply: finally... a new trailer