Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire treatments Formula V or Track Claw?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 11:57 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Tire treatments Formula V or Track Claw?

I have a couple of sets of used Hoosiers with unknown # of heat cycles in them. Tread looks very good but sitting all winter (inside) may cause the tires to get hard as well as the natural aging process. I know club racers use Formula V but has anyone tried Track Claw?? Is one product better than the other?
Old 11-17-2002, 03:46 PM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried some "tire conditioner" on the year old V700's I have been using for the track. : o
I coated them real well, then went out to the local SCCA ax for a test. I promply found out if you need new tires buy them! My first lap was like driving on ice, although it did get better after the stuff wore off, not a whole lot!
Save your money!
Paul
Old 11-18-2002, 09:09 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll add to the buy new tires theory.

Just got back from a lapping day at Road Atlanta on Sunday. My tires worked like a champ last June, but with the cold temps and age, the car pushed all day. A sway bar adjustment helped, but it was still bad. I was about 4 seconds off my usual pace and it was scary as could be going around any corner.

Coming down to 10A, I hit the brakes as usual and the car didn't feel like it was slowing down. I looked in the mirror in time to see a cloud of smoke. When I got rolling again, I knew what the smoke was. My tires, as I flat spotted the bejezz out the right front.

Needless to say my day was over.

Jim

Fred Flintstone would have been proud to own these rock hard tires.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:30 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Eric,
Get rid of the two year old tires. Why waste a day at the track to figure out what you probably already know? Your car is a worth a lot more than a couple tires, isn't it? The kink isn't the place to lose I tire. All the various expenses of getting your car to the track are small compared to the price of the tires. Just wait until next year and start off fresh.

Here is a quote from Hoosier's website:

"2. Don't apply any chemical treatments to Hoosier tires. (It's not necessary and may actually damage the integrity of the tire by breaking down the rubber properties of the tire.) Tires must not be allowed to come in contact with oils, greases, solvents, or other petroleum products that cause rubber to soften or deteriorate."
Old 11-19-2002, 01:48 PM
951Racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used Formula V all year with a lot of success. On one set of used Hoosiers I put 8 additional DAYS or hard DE on them. You have to really coat the tires over a period of days. The best is if you apply 3 coats for 3 days in a row. It really softens the rubber!

The problem is that you have to get about 2 heat cycles into them before they get all the grip back. That means the first time on the track after the application is going to be a bit scary while you skate around.

I saved a ton of money this year and did not purchase a single set of tires for 25 DE days. I had 5 sets of used tires and still have 1 set left for next year. I push the car very hard and never had an "off" track experience this year!
Old 11-21-2002, 02:38 AM
belz
Instructor

Thumbs up

For those who care ...
Grassroots Motorsports (magazine)tested Formula V awhile back and concluded it made a positive difference ... can't remember the issue ... it might be on their website.

Quick Reply: Tire treatments Formula V or Track Claw?