Sponsored by:

951 Track Car set-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 08:39 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Question 951 Track Car set-up

I am beginning the process of setting up my 951 as a track car. Initially the car will be both Street and DE, eventually it will be track only. I want to work on the brakes, and suspension bits first. Can any of you that have experience with 951's give me a to do list of mods. For instance, what should I start with, Wheels and tires first or brakes? What parts do you recommend that give the best combination of bang for the buck and performance? Same with suspension, what parts should I attack first? Thanks in advance for the help. I will keep you all posted as I move along.
Thanks,
Old 07-24-2002, 02:28 AM
kellyk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of us have done this and know all the mistakes NOT to make. First, what if anything have you already done to the car? Is this your daily driver? What kind of budget do you have? How much track experiance do you have?

Also, start watching the 924, 944, 951 and 968 "Water Cooled" forum. Lots of great advice.

Look forward to your posts.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:08 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I would start with suspension, wheel, and tire upgrades. Also upgrade the A arms for safety, yours and everyone elses.

Do you plan on getting into club racing as well? If so just keep the class you want to be in and the mods you make in mind.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:23 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Kelly,
The car is currenly totally stock, daily driver. So my budget for mods is about 3K per year (knowing this will take some time to complete). I am currently running DE's, so gaining experience. It will be a while before I get to Club Racing, although that is the ultimate goal.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:24 PM
kellyk
Instructor

I will follow up this thread on the 924/944/968 forum. See you there.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:25 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rob, (Sorry my response is soooo loooongggg!)
This past year, I got invovled with DE's, and have done upgrades to my car to make it more track worthy. I share a similar dream with you, in that I want to either turn my car into a track-only car, or buy a second track only p-car. Also: while PCA club racing is currently not on my goals list, being a DE instructor is.

My main upgrade focus has been on safety first, and then durability. Currently, my '89 944S2 is setup to be able to run up through the top (RED) run groups without anymore modifications.

May I offer the following suggestions:

Phase ONE: stuff I've already done

1. Safety equipment: harness setup: I have a G-Force 6-point harness setup with a Stable-engeries harness bar mounted between the C-pillars. You can use such a harness setup with your stock seats, but obviously stock seats will offer less side-to-side restraint in the event of a spin or rollover. I also have a fire extinguisher & mount attached to the front of the passenger seat (Stable energies mount).

2. Brakes: Since my car is also a street/track car at this point, I choose to get an intermediate track pad and keep my stock rotors & calipers (Brembo calipers & vented disks, just like yours). I have KFP pads (Part #345-P42A). While they do not offer as much stopping power as the real track pads, they are perfect for a dual purpose street/track car, and do not need to be heated up as much to reach their effective braking power. (But they do squeek alot!) I also suggest getting the high-temp brake fluid, so there is less chance of the brake fluid boiling under heavy braking.

3. Durability: swap out your tranny oil with synthetic stuff, like swepco has. Again, it will help keep the differential cooler under track conditions. I also suggest using synthetic oil for the engine. A lower temp thermostat and fan switches will also help keep the engine cool.

4. Maintenance: keep on maintenance items. I've heard it suggested that timing belts should be replaced every other year on track cars, regardless of mileage! While you're at it, keeping tabs on stuff like seals/gaskets & the water pump is a good thing. I think that keeping up to date on your maintenance is the best way to drive faster! You cannot go fast in a race-prepped car that through neglect is sitting in the paddocks with a snapped timing belt and belt valves!

5. Other: I did put in an M030 rear sway bar (19mm vs. 16mm stock) so I can tame the dreaded understeer our cars exhibit.

Phase two
These are what I plan on doing next.

1. Tires: I'm planning on getting a second set of 16" wheels and getting R-compound tires for track use. It's my rookie DE 'season' this year, so I'm not sure if I'm ready for stickies for next year. (IMHO: while sticky tires will allow you to go faster in DE, you can improve your ability on street tires better!)

2. Suspension: I may get new suspension components this winter (shocks, torsion bars...etc), because I'm still using the original 12 year old shocks, and wish to tighten up the car a bit. If your suspension is old, you may want to upgrade a bit. Don't know if you had the adjustable Koni yellows that I have: if you don't, you may want to upgrade to them!

3. A-arms: getting the steel or beefed up a-arms is on my plate, and is a good idea for 944's that see track usage.

4. Seats: A set of racing seats would help keep me in place more!

Phase three
If you get into phase three, you'll probably be getting ready for club racing, and then the mods you do would be to meet PCA club racing requirements, which include:

1. Full roll-cage & window net
2. Full fire suppress system
3. Shut off switch
4. Misc. safety stuff.
5. Brake bias adjuster
6 .Manual boost controller
5. Race guages, including boost guage, oil pressure, exhaust temp guages, BIG Tachomoter...etc.

Notice that I didn't say anything about upgrading your engine. I suggest not to worry about the power until after phase three. The 220hp a 951 makes is plenty to be competitive in PCA F-stock racing. And if it were up to me, I'd rather spend money on over-maintaining the car than trying to modify it for more power.

Well, sorry for going on and on. I hope this helps. And keep posting here on your track adventures!
-Zoltan.

PS: My next DE is at Watkins Glen on August 16-18. Can't wait!
Old 07-25-2002, 12:07 AM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Z-Man, between you and Kelly, I have received a lot of great info. It sounds like we are on a similar roadmap. I will keep you updated.
MANY THANKS!!
Old 07-26-2002, 10:33 PM
944T Racer
1st Gear

I just completed my 944T for club racing. First don't wait until the last minute. Start about a year before you plan to club race.

I am in the stock "F" class and have the requirements necessary on my car. Roll cage, seat support, 5 point harness, fire ex., battery kill switch, transceiver, steel lugs, suit, boots, gloves, helmet, etc. It adds up quick if you do it all at once like I did. Get on the PCA web site and look under club racing and you will see all the requirements.

Other items I have are racing seats, track rims and tires.

The seats make a big difference. But I would recommend the rims and tires first. I used to run DE on high perf. street tires. Then I bought a set of track tires. A huge difference. I have been using a set of Hoosiers and I have been very pleased. However, some say the life of them are not the greatest. But they stick to the track real nice.

Go to DE events and ask around. Most are very friendly and love to talk shop.

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:48 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

944T Racer, thanks for the feedback. That sounds about right!!

B.regards,

Quick Reply: 951 Track Car set-up