Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOA's are a such a scam!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We put up with an HOA as well. When I had my SC with sport muffler, I always felt a bit conspicuous. It was fun though, starting it up at 0530 to head out to Summit Point. I believe my neighbors master bedroom was about 20 feet from my garage. If i saw the window open, I made sure to rev it up a bit to "warm her up" . It was suprising how many people in the neighborhood noticed when I sold the 911. I got a lot of "aren't you the one with the loud Porch?" comments. He he
Old 02-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

If you cant beat them, join them. It is rather a pain but it is better to have a say in what goes on than not. My racecar and trailer dont live here but they are often in my driveway for a few days before and after events. No one, however, says anything to the president of the board
Old 02-02-2007, 10:58 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in Anthem, Az and we have dubious disctintion of the largest HOA in the country.

So... what I do it really simple. My father lives about 4 miles away as the crow files (11 miles driving) in New River. He has 5 acres of open desert and not an HOA anywhere close.

So I store my race car there along with 3 parts cars, trailer and all kind of stuff. It it basicly my shop. Sadly since we have only a two car garage and very sloping driveway my 944 Turbo S street car also resides there. That little problem is being solved by moving to larger 3 car garage house in Anthem. Even so what I do this. The night before a race I got to my parents place and pick up the car and trailer. I then drag it home and leave it on the street over night (technically we can't even park cars on street for any reason, we got a HOA nastygram when may parents we visting for 3 hrs in the middle of the day and parked on street.. ) Anyway I digress. So I park the truck & trailer on the street the night before the event. I load up all th gear I keep at my house and then leave at about 6 am day of the event. So my car/trailer/truck are never parked at my house for very long so no neighbors complain. In fact we are allowed in the HOA rules short term parking for RV's and such for loading/unloading. This means I am in fact ok.

Ross.
My advice if you are worried about noise is to put a stock muffler back on. In 944 spec trim the supertrap does not seem to gain any hp and stock muffler is relativly quiet even with out a Cat Conv.
Park the race car in garage so that the powes that be don't see it and crazy paint/stickers. If you need to store the trailer one option is putting the trailer in the garage too. If need be maybe figure a way to park on the race car ON the trailer while in the garage. I have thought about stuff like this since one day my deam shop (parents place) will go away so I will need to come up with some way of keeping my gear without pissing off the HOA. The 3 car garage house is start. 4 car garage would have been better, but we simply could not afford the houses that went along with them. We could move out of anthem, but my wife loves it there and as all you married guys know keeping the wife happy is an important way to keep racing.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:35 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the advice and options for keeping the car and not pissing off the neighbors. I think I'm just bitching for the sake of it really, lol. My current arrangements have no HOA and has plenty of land to be a loud as i want. I store the truck, trailer, my subaru, and the race car here, and they all fit, with no problems.

But then again, I do live with my parents and the garage is a little tight to say the least. But the price is right and I saved enough to afford a race car and try to accomplish a dream of mine (wheel to wheel racing).

I think I'll buy a few of those Disks and mount them on the car before i park it within the confines of the HOA.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:41 AM
esscape26
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs down

Down with HOAs.

Pre-racing, I had the HOA parking sticker on my Porsche and still would get that annoying note to move my car every few months, while the bland cars next to me got nothing. (Rule was to move every 48 hours or something).

Real governments love HOAs because they take on responsibilities for them, but if you run afoul, no due process. They can take your home for silly fines.

If you signed the rules, you've apparently signed on for a life of tyranny; usually HOAs run by non-resident owners--or volunteers who use "I'm not paid" as an excuse to be incompetent. Personally, I'd rather have neighbors with junked Porsches in their yards or purple doors.

(PS, why does grass-cutting cost more closer-in suburbs than out in the country when it's cut by the EXACT same company?....)
Old 02-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's an HOA? high occupancy area? hell of america? they sound pretty ****ty. Is it some kind of uber **** suburb?
Old 02-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
what's an HOA? high occupancy area? hell of america? they sound pretty ****ty. Is it some kind of uber **** suburb?
Yes, all of the above!
Old 02-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ thats crazy...in toronto, the only place i can park on the street is in a suburb/side road. I can't imagine getting ticketed for leaving my car on the side of the road..the traffic warden better be ready to lose an arm if he tries.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ross,

I've beaten this by keep the car "street legal". Which translates to every two years I strap the stock exhaust and cat on the car and dutifully have the Commonwealth of Virginia strap the car to the dyno for emissions purposes. Put a stock seat and belts in every year and borrow a set of rains (that have tread) instead of hoosiers and get it inspected. As soon as you get home with your new stickers and plates, swap exhausts and then you're good to go. If they neighbors complain, dutifilly point to your fresh new plates, inspection sticker, and apologize if the car is "a little loud" but that the state as certified that it's legal....
Old 02-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It sits on the street in front of the house in full regalia (numbers, sponsors, etc.) - my kid gets huge street cred too as my house is directly across from the bus stop ;-)

Quick Reply: HOA's are a such a scam!