Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another trailer question: surge vs electric brakes (RDE)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 08:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts
Hi, Randy,

Awww, man, all I want to do is keep the miles off of my 993!

Seriously, thanks for the info. Again, I'm learning so much from Rennlist. I never thought towing was so complicated.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:59 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Mark,
You will have to learn about weight distribution and tongue weight also.

I have experienced sway at 70+mph and it is no fun. It would have been hard to explain to the insurance company how I managed to total two cars at once...
I backed my car on the trailer from that point on. IMO weight distribution is more important than being a bit over the tongue weight.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:15 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts
Hey, Greg,

Yeah, I can imagine not having enough weight on the tongue can create some nasty vehicle oscillations. It's a scenario I've thought of and it scares the crap out of me. My understanding is that placement of the the car on the trailer is critical, especially with an aluminum one.

I have air springs/bags to augment the coil springs, so a bit more weight on the back won't cause too much sagging.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:16 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Randy:
<strong>Something else to consider. Under the circumstance where you will ever be trailering over any passes or taking a route where you will be travelling down any long grades, surge brakes are definitely a bad idea, and inertia type electric brake controllers have a definite shortcoming.
These are my experiences anyhow.....</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">You should try the Jordan. I use it and it suffers none of the issues you describe. While more work to install, it is set and forget. My tows usually include the Grapevine on I-5, as tough a tow as almast anything you can find. I have never had to adjust it, and manual application is easy and smooth. It is analog, but has a digital readout of CURRENT being sent to the brakes (most digitals have some output number but it is not the braking current and does not represent the braking power being applied, only a 1-10 scale or equiv).

Quick Reply: Another trailer question: surge vs electric brakes (RDE)