Sponsored by:

somewhat OT: in-car video systems

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 01:29 PM
NickA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question somewhat OT: in-car video systems

Apologies for the slightly off-topic post, but I'm getting down to the wire with respect to purchasing an in-car video system for the race car. Many friends have the RaceCam + Sony GVD800 video walkman setup, which I had been considering. However, the all-in cost seems to be well in excess of $2k, and the camera unit is dedicated to use in the car. Plus, I've heard that some people have had problems with the Sony unit breaking etc.

So, on the recommendation of a filmmaker friend, I've been researching the various high-end consumer / nearly-professional digital all-in-one camcorders...there are a lot of nice ones out there (e.g., Sony TRV-900), but the prices still seem high. Given that I'd rather spend my racing money on gas, tires and brake pads, I'm now looking at the Sony DCR-PC110 miniDV camcorder. With a street price somewhere around $1300-1400, it seems to present an attractive compromise. Does anyone have any specific experience with this camcorder in in-car use? How about similar camcorders (particularly digital)? Any advice, recommendations or warnings would be greatly appreciated; thanks!

- Nick
ncamos@bellatlantic.net
Old 04-25-2002, 02:18 PM
James Achard
Pro

Nick, I have the Sony TRV-30 an I am pretty happy with it. I got it for about 1300 plus I got a wide angle lense for 100.00. It works great in the car and I can use it anywhere. It also captures pretty good still images as well. I have a beefy laptop which I download the movies to, edit them and then save them back to tape. I find this very handy and it saves on tapes etc. Good luck!!

Cheers, James
Old 04-25-2002, 04:41 PM
Tim
Racer

Nick I use the Sony DCR-TRV11 mini-dv, its pretty small and light.

Im still learning the how to use it and the best settings for it, but I like it.

Remember to get a wide angle lens for whatever camcorder you get, otherwise the field of view is to narrow. Without the wide angle lens youll just see the window pillars and the pavement.

With the wide angle you get a better sense of the dynamics of driving on the track

check out some videos I put on a friend on mines website

<a href="http://www.rudtnersracing.com/videos.htm" target="_blank">www.rudtnersracing.com/videos.htm</a>

Tim
Old 04-25-2002, 05:00 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use a JVC GR-DVM50 mini-DV camera I got for about $500 used. Works pretty well and is extremely compact. I made a custom camera-mount that sits next to my rearview mirror (hangs from sun-visor bolts). That way, I don't get too much of the roof and dash in my videos.

Here's some sample videos I made from recent track excursions:

<a href="http://www.virgeweb.com/danno/020308-SOW-Keith2.avi" target="_blank">http://www.virgeweb.com/danno/020308-SOW-Keith2.avi</a>

<a href="http://www.virgeweb.com/danno/Porsche951vsAudiS4.avi" target="_blank">http://www.virgeweb.com/danno/Porsche951vsAudiS4.avi</a>

<a href="http://www.virgeweb.com/danno/Porsche951vs928s4.avi" target="_blank">http://www.virgeweb.com/danno/Porsche951vs928s4.avi</a>

<a href="http://www.virgeweb.com/danno/Divx412bundle.exe" target="_blank">http://www.virgeweb.com/danno/Divx412bundle.exe</a> (DivX CODEC if you don't already have installed).

One thing I'd like to find is a lap-time calculator where I can just punch in my time-codes off the camera and it gives me the laptimes...
Old 04-26-2002, 07:43 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nick,

I have used the Sony DCR PC100 for years both in my 935 and on my Lola CanAm. It has worked great. I think I will be upgrading to the new Sony DCR IP7 - even much smaller. Supposed to be the latest and greatest and smallet in the market. Even included Bluetooth wireless technology and connection to the internet (not that it is really needed).

My PC100 gives crystal clear video. I also have a small hi res color bullet camera - waterproof and I plug it in to an older Video cam in the racecar for recording. The PC100 did not have analog input so it could not accept video in. The new IP7 does have that. The IP7 is about $1400.

BTW - I digitize the video and press CDs from the incar endurance races with it...

Hope that helps.

The small camera I purchased from polarisusa.com.
It was only $200 and 400+ lines of resolution. Just get a powered audio mic setup for another $40 and plug it into any recorder...

Norm
Old 04-26-2002, 01:15 PM
UrbanSasquatch
Advanced

Hi Nick,

I just ordered the high-res Race Cam from Stable Energies ($1400, including mono sound and S-video output), and intend to use the new Sony GV-D1000 (the brand new, MiniDV format version of the 8mm GV-D200 that's usually listed with the Race Cam, about $1099 at 42nd Street photo at 36 and 5th Ave). I like the idea that the camera is permanently installed in the car, so I can set it up ONCE and not have to fiddle with the right combinations of framing and zoom. Also, I have heard mixed reports that even an image-stabilized camera is inadequate to deal with the vibration experienced in the car. Another plus is that there's a reduced missile hazard in the event of an accident. The Race Cam includes a padded box which can be mounted behind one of the seats, and a wired remote that mounts on the dash to trigger recording.

I was considering either the 3CCD Sony or a Canon GL-1, which are both broadcast-quality camcorders, but all in these are about the same price as the Race Cam + Sony Video Walkman ($2400) and are pretty bulky.

John Colasante has had great success using a "lipstick" camera mounted in various spots on his Carrera, hooked to a small camcorder. You might email him or post something over on Pelican.

All the best.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:05 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nick,

I did run the Stable Energies racecam in my old Spice GTP racecar. The engine was a 3.5 liter DFR Cosworth Formula 1 V8 engine that revved to 14,000 rpms so the vibration caused by the engine was extreme.
Racecam had never had one in a car that pulled 5.5 g's with that kind of vibration. The screws holding the case together vibrated out. Once they resolved that problem, everything worked great.

My Sony DCR PC100 I have run both in a Porsche 935 and my Lola Can Am which is 800+ HP open cockpit and 1800 lbs... The camera was mounted on the left mirror. So it was exposed to 206 MPH wind at Daytona. It worked perfectly. The picture was completely stable. Better than any of my other camer systems.

All the methods I have run worked well.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Norm
Old 04-26-2002, 07:47 PM
NickA
Advanced

Thumbs up

First off, thanks for all of the helpful advice. I knew that I would get some great responses here.

After carefully re-considering the RaceCam system and its many advantages (and the comments of those above), I decided to pass. My rationale is that I can always "upgrade" to the RaceCam system if I the all-in-one solution proves unsatisfactory. So, I decided to try out one of the Sony MiniDV camcorders (the new Sony MICROMV format seemed to be "too compact" for this intended use). Since I don't really know what I would do with added Bluetooth technology, I decided to go for the Sony DCR-PC110 (last year's non-BT model), as opposed to the current PC120BT model. I found it online for just under $1,250. I also ordered the wide angle lens (thanks James, Tim, Danno et al.) from Sony (as well as a spare battery, travel charger and iLink receiver for the TV). All-in cost just under $1,500(excluding I-O Port roll bar mount, to be ordered). Should be here mid next week.

Hopefully this set up will work, and I'll be able to capture (and post?) some good in-car footage. Well, OK, so the driving won't be that great...at least the view of the people lapping me will be high quality.

Thanks again to all.

- Nick
ncamos@bellatlantic.net

P.S. Norm -- I'm dying to hear more about your hardware and what it is capable of...5.5gs! Holy s__t! Do tell!

Quick Reply: somewhat OT: in-car video systems