Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 spring rates for coil over setup..

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 10:18 AM
phils87951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 951 spring rates for coil over setup..

Hi listers
Im in the process of setting up my car for the season, this winter I installed a set of rear coil overs,( tortion bars removed) the spring rates i have on the car now are 250 front, 450 rear. The handling is neutral from turn in to apex but im having problems putting the power down comming out of corners, and it seems to bottom out should i hit a bump under full acceleration comming out of a corner effectively throwing the car up in the air or so it feels from the left seat.
It has been corner balanced and the results were less than 1% diff in any direction and it weighed in at 3000# with full fuel.
The alignment is basicaly -2 deg camber all around with 0 toe. Urethane bushings all around.

My question is should i increase the front, or reduce the rear spring rate, what are some of the spring combinations being used on track cars with out tortion bars?
I do street the car on ocasion but this car is definetly heading for track only satus.

TIA for the feedback. Its much apreciated.
Philippe
Old 04-22-2002, 11:01 AM
chump
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philippe,

sounds like you are way undersprung in the front... Generally, these cars like a higher spring rat ein front than the rear, For example, my setup is 450 lb springs up front and 350 lb springs in back with the stock torsion bars. That yields an effective rate in the front of about 423 lbs and in the rear effective rate of 343lbs.

Most hot track setups are biased this way. In my car, this yields a fairly neutral setup biased a little towards understeer.

Also, what tires are you using?

[quote]Originally posted by phils87951:
<strong>Hi listers
Im in the process of setting up my car for the season, this winter I installed a set of rear coil overs,( tortion bars removed) the spring rates i have on the car now are 250 front, 450 rear. The handling is neutral from turn in to apex but im having problems putting the power down comming out of corners, and it seems to bottom out should i hit a bump under full acceleration comming out of a corner effectively throwing the car up in the air or so it feels from the left seat.
It has been corner balanced and the results were less than 1% diff in any direction and it weighed in at 3000# with full fuel.
The alignment is basicaly -2 deg camber all around with 0 toe. Urethane bushings all around.

My question is should i increase the front, or reduce the rear spring rate, what are some of the spring combinations being used on track cars with out tortion bars?
I do street the car on ocasion but this car is definetly heading for track only satus.

TIA for the feedback. Its much apreciated.
Philippe</strong><hr></blockquote>

Quick Reply: 951 spring rates for coil over setup..