Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poll: Best driver in Porsche History

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 01:11 AM
Bob C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<<How about the Porsche racing stars of the future.... David Donohue? Mike Fitzgerald? Randy Pobst?>>

Pobst is very fast. In the lead AJR car last year, he was the only GT driver who could consistently cause fits among the Barbour team. This year, in the 2nd AJR car, he seemed a tick off the pace of Maassen and Luhr.

Fitzgerald is a guy who always seems to be there at the end. He doesn't have the blinding pace of the AJR drivers, but he seems to be very consistent. That makes him a force to be reckoned with during the longer endurance events.

Donohue? I saw him at Rennsport Reunion and I know he was a guest driver in the Cup race at Indy, but I don't supect that he'll be a "Porsche regular". ???

Maassen and Luhr seem to be Porsche's "chosen ones" right now. Also, Christian Menzel showed excellent speed toward the end of ALMS season and was the highest qualifying Porsche at Petit Le Mans.

Murry keeps getting screwed. Last year, he was hobbled with Pirelli tires while driving for Skea. He still managed a 2nd at Sebring and a 2nd at Le Mans. This year he signed with the Kelly Moss team to run a GT3 RS. I was certain that they'd be the dark horse during the ALMS season (the role AJR played last year). Unfortunately, the team folded its ALMS effort after Sebring. Murry finished the ALMS season with a ride in the 2nd PTG M3 GTR. It's too bad, because I'm convinced that he was the best of all the Porsche drivers. It's worth noting that he and Johnny Mowlem were the last to pilot a 993 RSR to a significant victory, besting the GT3 R of Dirk Mueller and Cort Wagner at Laguna Seca in 1999.

Old 12-31-2001, 10:00 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Vic Elford.

How many of these drivers can hop out of a rally prepped 911S and hop into a 906 and run Le Mans competitively? Elford might not have been all-time winningest but he's a flexible driver.

Honorable Mention: Allan McNish.

McNish tried his hardest to keep the GT1s competitive, Porsche probably would've pulled out of racing a lot earlier if it wasn't for him.

later,

amir
Old 12-31-2001, 10:33 PM
Super Space Monkey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I think the drivers who did the most for Porsche are the previously mentioned Jacky Ickxs and Derek Bell, but should also include Pedro Rodriguez and Joe Siffert those guys were incredible in the 917 and I would rate them equally. Note that Joe Siffert was originally going to be Porsche's Can-Am driver but was killed.

Oddly enough a Porsche driver who turned out to be one of, if not the best racer ever was a man who never actually had much success for Porsche (Ayrton Senna 956 for Joest).

As for a driver for the future well Jacques Villeneuve has just annouced his goal to win Le Mans after he quits F1. It is also rumored this could happen in the next year or two depending on how BAR does this year, and what rides may be available next. Timing may (or should I say hopefully!) coincide with Porsche's return to big time racing!!!

Also with CART just about to go belly up (which may also open the door for better sports car racing in the US) may we see the names Paul Tracy (would crash everything), Bryan Herta (would be a great enduro driver), Dario Franchitti (a little tempremental) other? on the Porsche hero list? Hum interesting who else do you think?
Old 01-03-2002, 08:57 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second Derek Bell.

Quick Reply: Poll: Best driver in Porsche History