Sponsored by:

962, information please

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 03:03 PM
COUNTACH
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 962, information please

Hello, I am new to this forum. Doing some research on the 962 racer. I would like to learn all about these awesome cars. Anyone know where to get the details ? Thanks
Old 12-18-2002, 02:05 PM
late apex
Instructor

<a href="http://www.962.com" target="_blank">www.962.com</a>
Old 12-19-2002, 09:06 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by late apex:
<strong><a href="http://www.962.com" target="_blank">www.962.com</a></strong><hr></blockquote>
Wow! That's a great site. How could I have missed it for so long? I could drool all day over those cars.

But, being of only average means, there is no way I could ever afford to drive one, let alone actually own one. I remember the late Bob Akin saying on the Rennsport Reunion show that it costs about $10,000 PER HOUR to run one! That's after you paid the $300K for the car! Maybe when I win the lottery or something...

For now, I have been yearning after something a little more accessible. Check it out <a href="http://www.diasio.com/" target="_blank">here</a>
TT
Old 12-19-2002, 11:49 PM
COUNTACH
Cruisin'

$10,000 per hour!!!!! Damn, my Ferrari 512TR costs $1 per mile, anywhere between $35 to $200 per hour

I hope Bob was kidding cus $10k per hour is a lot of $. Maybe that includes the driver and crew ?
Old 12-20-2002, 12:36 AM
late apex
Instructor

have run in Bob Akin's group, I guess I still could, but the GTP cars ( such as the 962's)have taken a temporary hiatus from HSR.There were twenty at Road Atlanta in April and only three there in Sept (both HSR events )The accident was terrible of course and something to keep in mind on the track. This year there are new rules to be followed.
I feel
A good freshen for a 962 motor is over 60,000 cost.This shall occur at less than 20 hours. Tires,gears are expensive, everything is expensive. Shocks are very high. Then comes the truck to haul it, the place to store it, the crew to run and fix it, The travel expense to and from the track.Food too, and strippers.
It could easily cost 200,000 to run one for a season of vintage racing with 10 events and 2 hours run time per event (10,000 per hour ).
SOOOOO, the thing to do is just ask to drive one for a half hour next time at the vintage races, and you just pay for gas and damages...then walk away and never look back.
regards
Johan
Old 12-20-2002, 02:42 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"then walk away and never look back."

Yeah, rrrright....
Old 12-20-2002, 07:03 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For 2 years I ran a Spice GTP in HSR with a Cosworth Formula V8 (3.5 Litre DFR). It was the first Spice Cosworth GTP C1 in HSR. Right after I sold mine, Jim Mullins purchased his 2 Spice Cosworths followed by his Spice Chevy...

The car was incredible. However, that car too ended up at about $10K per hour. Engine rebuilds every 5 hours for the F1 engine.

That's why I ended up getting rid of it and went to a CanAm. Engine rebuilds once a season.

Norm
IMSA 935
Spice GTP C1 (Cosworth F1 3.5L DFR)
Lola CanAm - All Aluminum 415 cu
2001 996 TT
2002 Birel Motorsport SwedeTech 125 Shifter Kart
Daytona winning Aurora GTS
Ex - 930 Turbos, 944 Turbo, 944 S2
Old 12-20-2002, 10:12 AM
late apex
Instructor

Amen Norm !
I have a lola/chevy T333 that does the trick for me. That Spice of yours is a great car, and really hard to find.
The most economical car I have is a 2 liter Lola t596/8.
It actually goes home with more rubber than it came to the track with, and it is an embarrasment to much more powerful cars. That is sort of fun...
Do you still run the spice at all ?
What kind of Lola do you have ?
Johan
Old 12-20-2002, 11:05 AM
COUNTACH
Cruisin'

Talking

I've been thinking of buying a 962 cus the prices are so low now, less than a road F40. Cant beat that. I've been doing some research and you guys have been a great help, thanks $10k an hour is pretty huge $. I suppose i could have 2 engines. one 962 owner told me that all 962s now use 911 turbo blocks cus all the real 962 blocks have been destroyed. Could I have a cheap 911 turbo engine to run for practice then the nice expensive race engine for HSR events ?

CanAm cars are sweet also
Old 12-20-2002, 11:41 AM
late apex
Instructor

Countach,
You are close but it works more like this :
Run a modern twin turbo motor in the HSR events, and save the original 962 motor as a coffee table, so that in twenty years you can sell the 962 as one of the few "with" original motor.
Perhaps the best for you, and I do not mean to offend here, is to put together a "street" 962. It has been done with success in the past.
You would have a very hard time getting An HSR "super license" as required to compete in the GTP group, unless you had professional racing experience. Go to <a href="http://www.hsrrace.com" target="_blank">www.hsrrace.com</a> for details.
I am assuming here that you do not have a lot of road racing experience, and it is my humble opinion that a GTP car is not for the inexperienced.
If you want a thrill, start off with go carts. I know this sounds "smart ***" , but I am serious.
Starting with a shifter cart and going on to more powerful track cars is a great way to build good track knowledge. A good shifter cart can carry the same speed through the slower turns as a 962. Norm help me out here.....
regards,
Johan
Old 12-20-2002, 12:20 PM
COUNTACH
Cruisin'

Johan, thanks,no offense taken I instruct for the FCA in the Empire State region. Ive pretty much pushed my 512TR near its limits so I think i am ready for more speed. As far as racing experience, well i have tons of experience on lots of different tracks all over the US with clubs but little wheel to wheel flat out racing. I am finishing a 512TR race car that I do intend to race with EMRA or the SCCA so that should help me out with Pro racing experience. Hopefully that car will be done in january and it should be faster than a ferrari BBLM
Can 962s be made road legal in the US like they are in Germany ?
My goal is to race the 962 in HSR so i'll do what I have to do to get there. Thanks again
Old 12-20-2002, 12:22 PM
COUNTACH
Cruisin'

So i imagine if I build a hot 930 turbo engine with maybe 600hp instead of 750 or more hp I can drop the maintenance bills and still have fun. How much maintenance costs are involved in a hot 930 turbo engine ?
Old 12-20-2002, 01:24 PM
late apex
Instructor

WOW, 512tr racer. sounds good. Check out
<a href="http://www.racecarcollection.com" target="_blank">www.racecarcollection.com</a>
maybe a good spot for you to play ...
Less hp you save a lot, But I'm no expert on this subject, or any subject for that matter. Keep us up to date ..
Johan

Quick Reply: 962, information please