Sponsored by:

Every Racer's Greatest Fear!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 04:07 PM
RealRideRacing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Every Racer's Greatest Fear!

I experienced every racer's greatest fear this Saturday. On a test session at Buttonwillow Raceway in our ASC (American Stockcar Challenge Professional Road Racing Series) race car, a carbuerator float bowl adjustment bolt vibrated loose and sent fuel onto the headers. I smelled fuel and immediately saw black smoke coming our under the hood. Pulled over off the side of the track and shut it off... too late! Huge gouts of flame belched out of the cowl induction opening, then under the windshield.
I managed to stay very calm. Quickly released the camlock harnesses, then the window net. Tried climbing out the window (the car has no doors) only to discover that I forgot to pull the steering wheel pin! By then, the flames were inside the cockpit and I could feel them under my helmet (fortunately, I wear a neck collar). I couldn't feel for the pin so I had to look down... directly into the flames. Fortunately, I wear a full face helmet with visor, but even so, looking directly into a flame is pretty wild! Important note: Never inhale into a flame... the oxygen you inhale will draw the flames into your lungs and burn them. My crew chief had once warned me about this and somehow through this, I remembered. I pulled the pin, rolled out of the window and ran to the other side of the car to grab the fire bottle. Had the fire out before the corner marshall reached me. Most interesting part was that the patches on my driving suit were all scorched off!
The 2 things that worked against me were that we had accidently set off the fire system in the shop a few weeks earlier. Since we hadn't ordered the new bottle yet, we just ran a fire extinguisher. Had we had the fire system, I would have just been able to pull the fire system handle and the fire would have been extinguished before I got out of the car. Also, because it was a test weekend, they only had corner marshalls at 2 of the corners. The closest marshall was only about 2 turns away, but even so, it took him a few minutes to reach me.
So important things that I learned from this experience and hope to pass it along:
1) Don't skimp on the fire system
2) Practice emergency exits in your car with full driving gear on. You should be able to get out under 10 seconds
3) Practice the exit with eyes closed or tape over your visor
4) ALWAYS wear a full face helmet with visor. I will never wear anything else from now on
5) If you have facial hair, wear a balaclava or at least a helmet skirt or neck collar. If your hair extends past your helmet as mine does, tuck it under your collar.
6) Check all fuel related fittings before each weekend
7) Never inhale into a flame

Nothing new and revolutionary, especially for those who have gone through an SCCA or NASA racing school. But you'd be surprised how accurate and effective those procedures are.

Regards to the car, we dropped our guard for the weekend. Since it wasn't a race weekend, we simply let a few things slide. Plus, we had thrashed to get other mechanical issues resolved all week and skimped on the safety checks. The bolt vibrating loose was really a fluke... one in a thousand. But regardless, it was our oversight.
The car came back on the hook and my crew chief investigated the damage and compiled a list. We got straight to work cleaning the dry chemical (which is a pain to clean). By the way, clean that stuff immediately, it corrodes everything it touches! By morning, the guys had rewired the car and cleaned most of the mess. We also had to replace the distributor cap, plug wires, carb parts, brake lines and hydraulic clutch lines. I took the car out Sunday afternoon (1:45pm) and ran 3 sessions. Kudos to the guys for thrashing to get the car ready.

So on a final word, all those safety procedures are important! Don't skimp and practice your exits.

Regards,
David
REALRIDE.COM RACING
<a href="http://www.RealRide.com" target="_blank">www.RealRide.com</a>
Old 12-16-2002, 06:07 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
You are a lucky guy. Great reminder for all.

Since I drive a late model "stock" 993 I have thought the fire systems were overkill. Now with more track time on the car and fire systems being a small investment I have changed my mind.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:09 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

David,
Great info! Glad you are OK! I just posted this up to our region's website. Thanks for writing it.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:36 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts
Good job on the exit, the amazing rework to get the car running again (!) and taking responsibility for what went wrong! That's the first step to making sure it doesn't happen again!

Glad everything turned out well in a situation which could so easily have been a total car-B-que...
Old 12-17-2002, 09:22 AM
Stem
Instructor

I only do DEs, but I had the chance to get a driver's suit when I bought my harness bar. Both were used and the suit fit so I bought it. I wear it at every track event.

My very first day on the track with my new 02C2, I had an oil fire. I used my brand new fire extinguisher, which I figureed was just a waste of $$ and extra weight since I only do DEs, and put it out.

I am a convert!

The time to prepare for safety is BEFORE you need it!
Old 12-17-2002, 11:36 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you are ok Dave, I agree get the best safety equipment you can afford.

I blew an engine last year, dumping oil on the hot exhaust, causing a fire it is NOT a good feeling.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:37 PM
Laura
Pro

Hey David....a little too scary!
Glad to see you are OK. Those little things we tend to let slide usually do get us in the butt. Thank goodness your discipline about being "properly dressed for the occasion" paid off. (3 layer suit?)

You brought up an important point that we tend to forget. Have you recently practiced getting out of the car if something like this happens? Do you have the location of your fire system clearly marked? Is your net easily removed both from inside and outside of the car? With many drivers driving style (very close to steering wheel) can you get out without moving the seat? I think it's time to practice again, and make necessary changes. Thanks for waking us up!!

Happy Holidays to the REAL RIDE RACING crew!!

P.S. Now that my son is competing in the "Rudy car" I have recently gone through buying all new gear. Total outlay in $$ was not so bad. So he'll have to run a set of tires an extra weekend. His stocking stuffers include a nomex head sock and foot socks.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:39 PM
Laura
Pro

Old 12-21-2002, 12:16 AM
RealRideRacing
Advanced

Hi Laura,
Merry Christmas to you and Mark, the Hergesheimer Team and everybody at the Rennlist!

Well, I keep forgetting to take pictures until it's too late. But here are some pictures of the car after I started cleaning it up:
<a href="http://images.realride.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?direct=ASC_Buttonwillow_Test_12-2002" target="_blank">http://images.realride.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?direct=ASC_Buttonwillow_Test_12-2002</a>

Regards,
David
REALRIDE.COM RACING
<a href="http://www.RealRide.com" target="_blank">http://www.RealRide.com</a>

Quick Reply: Every Racer's Greatest Fear!