Sponsored by:

Instructing in convertibles

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 11:47 AM
gregm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Instructing in convertibles

What is the concensus from instuctors out there as far as riding in Boxters and Cab's?
Old 12-15-2002, 02:47 PM
kary993
Drifting

I am not exactly sure what you are looking for here but this is my opinion. I would not get in a cab or any type without 5 (or 6) points in both seats, a decent rollbar, and arm restraints. This is the minimum requirements for San Diego Region for a big track event.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:55 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I have instructed in Boxsters with the roll bar extension, stock belts, and the top up. None of the Boxsters had 5 or 6 point belts. These cars have multiple air bags and have proven to be quite crash worthy. The overwhelming majority of soft tops at our events are Boxsters.

I am trusting that the top-up, is the somewhat poor substitute for the arm restraints. I have no idea how much of the top would be scraped or torn off by sliding on the roof. The over riding nature of the PSM even when switched off is helpful as well.

Our local regions do not allow convertibles with the the top down without arm restraints. Arm restraints, while protecting your arms from flailing, provide you no protection from intrustion by unwanted objects like tires from a tire wall. Many of our tracks do not allow Boxsters without roll bar extensions.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:07 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

There really isn't a consensus among instructors on this. In the instructor groups that I have experience with, there are people who will get into an open car without batting an eye, some who will do it but aren't totally comfortable, and some who absolutely won't get in one.

This has been a topic of conversation in PCA instructor circles since Boxsters started showing up at the track (they're required to run top-up, which alleviates the arm-restraint issue somewhat). While there are quite a few instructors who won't instruct in one (and I respect that decision) there always seem to be enough willing instructors for the number of Boxster owners who register.

I have instructed in Boxsters quite a few times and will probably continue, though I am not totally comfortable with it. In fact a good friend and very experienced instructor/racer has tried to talk me out of it. When I am in the car I am aware that I am depending on the roll bar and not a roof for safety, and I think I am apt to rein a student in a little more tightly that in some other cars.

Matt

Quick Reply: Instructing in convertibles