Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   NASA Texas GTS (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/323310-nasa-texas-gts.html)

Waco Kid 01-10-2007 03:09 PM

NASA Texas GTS

Does anyone have experience racing in GTS (German Touring Series)?

I spoke with some of the people @ NASA and the rules seem similar to PCA, plus they have a 13 rule.

Thanks,
Brad

Jim Child 01-10-2007 03:28 PM

I race both PCA and NASA GTS (Ohio/Indiana Region). What do you want to know? I like NASA GTS because it gives me the opportunity to run more races at the tracks that are close to me. Plus you get to run for a National Championship. I also like the fairness and simplicity of the GTS rules. Its all about power to weight, and the front runners are checked regularly on a dyno. This makes it extremely difficult to cheat, and the result is some excellent close racing.

Waco Kid 01-10-2007 04:17 PM

How clean is the racing and what is the field size for GTS?
I run and F stock car (86' 911). I know the field size might be different in Texas but would like to at least get an overall feel for the series. I enjoy close racing but am not interested in "tradin' paint".

George A 01-10-2007 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Waco Kid
How clean is the racing and what is the field size for GTS?
I run and F stock car (86' 911). I know the field size might be different in Texas but would like to at least get an overall feel for the series. I enjoy close racing but am not interested in "tradin' paint".

The field sizes are pretty small here in Texas from what I've seen. I'm not sure they even had any entries in their MSR races. I know several of the guys that race in a combined group of smorgasbord cars from F355 challange to Mustangs to Hondas. I plan on trying to make a couple of the races this year if my schedule permits. No trading paint, all are good guys. Very similar if not cleaner than the local PCA races.

G.

Jim Child 01-10-2007 05:19 PM

At NASA Nationals there were 46 GTS cars. Of those 13 were GTS-2 which is probably where you'll be classed if you drive a PCA F car. At an Ohio/Indiana region race at Mid Ohio in August there were a total of 31 GTS cars, and of those 8 were GTS-2 cars. GTS is definitely growing, so I would expect these numbers to be up in 2007.

In my experience the racing is very clean. There is a 13/13 rule and several 13's were handed out at Nationals. Personally I think the 13/13 rule as implemented by NASA GTS makes a whole lot more sense than PCA. Solo incidents will not draw a 13 they way they will in PCA. Neither will incidental minor contact. It is possible to have a "racing incident" where neither driver is found at fault, unlike PCA which feels it has to hand out at least one 13 for every incident. That said "tradin' paint" is definitely NOT encouraged, and if someone makes a boneheaded move and damages your car they will be penalized. Decisions on penalties are made by an incident review board composed of fellow GTS drivers, which is also an improvement over the PCA system IMO.

Waco Kid 01-10-2007 07:45 PM

Thanks for the input. I think I'll give it a try. It would give me more opportunities to race without alot of travel.
One of the NASA officials lives in Waco and is going to take a look at my car to see if it will pass tech -I have a rollbar instead of a full cage-.

Hey George, NASA has a race @ Eagle's Canyon Apr 28/29. Have you been by there lately?

mikew968 01-10-2007 09:09 PM

Go ahead and read the rules but a roll bar will not pass in nasa...period. You have to have a cage and a head containment seat or a side net (by July) Also the drivers side must have 2 door bars not just one for cars with a nasa log after 1/1/07. So read the rules for all the details. All that said I agree with all that Jim has said and enjoy the additional racing oppurtunities.

Mike

Greg Smith 01-10-2007 09:17 PM

I know a few of the local BMWCCA guys will be racing Nasa this year.

Veloce Raptor 01-10-2007 11:14 PM

I think a lot more than a few will, Greg.

Glen 01-10-2007 11:25 PM

I hope to have a Kool announcement for us all on this in a few days.
Will post details asap.
GodSpeed,

Veloce Raptor 01-10-2007 11:26 PM

I hope it involves a certain P. Long or equivalent coming back to MSR !!!! :D

George A 01-10-2007 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Waco Kid
Hey George, NASA has a race @ Eagle's Canyon Apr 28/29. Have you been by there lately?

Yes!!!! I drove it in my truck a few weeks back. Actually, that is one of the races that's a must for me. I hope I can get ready in time. BTW, read the rules as Mike states, you need a full cage with extra bars. It goes beyond the PCA rules.

I hope Glen annouces I'm one of his drivers in one of his cupcars this year. :)
I can always hope. He did say Kool.

G.

Toby Pennycuff 01-11-2007 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by George A
I hope Glen annouces I'm one of his drivers in one of his cupcars this year. :)
I can always hope. He did say Kool.

G.

George,

You oughtta see it. The new 997 Cup is GORGEOUS! See you out at MSR soon.

Toby

jakermc 01-11-2007 09:18 AM

I'll be running in the GTS3 class this year. The fields are still pretty small as this is a relatively new series for them but there were a few cars running last year at the MSR event and I know of a couple of guys who will be out there again this year.

The GTS groups will share the track with a few other catch all classes that are too small to fill the track so there should be someone to race with regardless of your own class and lap times.

Waco Kid 01-11-2007 12:48 PM

I printed the rules last night. Hey honey, remember that full roll cage you always wanted with the door bars..............
This leads to my next question: Are you guys having cages fabricated or buying a bolt-in cage, like a Safety Devices cage?