Sponsored by:

Fuel Cell versus Stock Tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 04:27 PM
Ken T
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fuel Cell versus Stock Tank

How many of you racers out there still use the stock tank. I see that many race series allow use of the stock tank so it seems to be fine. Is it worth the upgrade to a fuel cell? If you run a stock tank, any mods (ala foam). Any complications with that? Finally, anyone run a dry break for enduros with a stock tank? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:41 PM
fusionsport
Instructor

I highly recommend the use of a fuel cell. Some series allow the stock tank since it is plastic and set far far back in the chassis, and those series are usually a nearly stock series. Personally I dont like the idea of fire, so would recommend a cell.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:59 PM
Mark G
Advanced

My first year mods to a vintage/SCCA 911 race car included a fuel cell, foamed and baffled. The cell is now 7(?) years old and I've noted a couple blue specs in my fuel filter in the last year. I believe Fuelsafe recommends keeping the foam covered with fuel to stop degradation. Some SCCA tech inspectors have told me I needed to replace the foam @ 5 yrs. Fuelsafe says 10 yrs. It's not cheap to be safe, but it's maybe a little foolish/backwards to spend all you're race budget on gofasts. I like having a fuel cell, but these are just my opinions. I've never had to test any of my safety gear, but I'm still glad I have it. I think many guys in 944s don't have cells because the tank is so central.

Quick Reply: Fuel Cell versus Stock Tank