Sponsored by:

I drove an F1 simulator car today at CES 2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:07 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I drove an F1 simulator car today at CES 2007

What a blast. I have no idea how accurate the simulator is to the real thing (I don't play video games, so I don't know how much that affected my experience), but it was pretty fun. Very controllable until you start getting up to towards what I perceived to be the "limit," at which point the car felt incredibly twitchy and almost "too" responsive to any input. I found it to be an interesting challenge.

The two most difficult aspects of the simulator car was that (1) it was difficult to judge speed and braking; and (2) it was difficult to get up to speed without spinning or going really slowly.

I kept blowing through the chicane at the end of the straight. towards the end, I started braking probably a little too early and a little too much, but it let me keep the car on the track and accelerate through the apex and exit of the turns.

Also, whenever I did spin, it was hard to get going again without spinning the car a second time. The simulator car really had a ton of HP that made the front end really light under low speed acceleration.

In any event, I beat the guy I raced but I still drove like a ghettoracer . . . !
Old 01-09-2007, 07:21 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
What a blast. I have no idea how accurate the simulator is to the real thing (I don't play video games, so I don't know how much that affected my experience), but it was pretty fun. Very controllable until you start getting up to towards what I perceived to be the "limit," at which point the car felt incredibly twitchy and almost "too" responsive to any input. I found it to be an interesting challenge.

The two most difficult aspects of the simulator car was that (1) it was difficult to judge speed and braking; and (2) it was difficult to get up to speed without spinning or going really slowly.

I kept blowing through the chicane at the end of the straight. towards the end, I started braking probably a little too early and a little too much, but it let me keep the car on the track and accelerate through the apex and exit of the turns.

Also, whenever I did spin, it was hard to get going again without spinning the car a second time. The simulator car really had a ton of HP that made the front end really light under low speed acceleration.

In any event, I beat the guy I raced but I still drove like a ghettoracer . . . !
That sounds cool, where would one find such a simulator?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

You mean you don't have one yet?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Was the guy you raced named Frank, perhaps?

Also, any hot pit biscuits??
Old 01-09-2007, 07:28 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Also, any hot pit biscuits??
You gotta be kidding me! It is tough not to grab subconsciously sometimes. oops, did i actually do that?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

TTIWWOP
Old 01-09-2007, 07:56 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
You mean you don't have one yet?
I am thinking about doing a group buy after the trailex deal is sealed!
Old 01-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

okay, but I want delivery right to my door
Old 01-09-2007, 08:11 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
okay, but I want delivery right to my door
Old 01-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll bet simulators have come a long way. I drove one at Comdex back in the mid 90's, presented by DEC. (Anyone remember DEC?) You wore a helmet with two small screens to give you a 3D image of the track. I was doing great until I got to the swimming pool and I went to drive over the curbing and I got stuck. THE PROGRAMMERS WOULDN"T LET YOU CUT THE CURBS! Arrgh!

I didn't see any famous drovers and didn't get my picture taken with any of them. I did get my picture taken with some UNLV cheerleaders, but it didn't make me a better cheerleader.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:39 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

OK, so I didn't get any pictures of the grid girls, or the girls at the girls gone wild display, but here is a picture I found of the simulator.

and no, that is not me driving with the horrible hand positioning
Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn It,
No girls gone wild photos so you can sit in a f1 simulator , where are your priorities man..
Old 01-10-2007, 08:15 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had an oppotunity to visit the Ferrari factory in Marenello a couple of years ago and they had a couple of simulators there that allowed you to choose which F1 track you wanted to run.
It was a balst but I never did get the hang of those paddle shifters and got smoked by some 12 YO Italian kid... (future F1 star...)
Old 01-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I drove an Formula 1 simulator multiple times on Costa Cruise Ship last summer.
This is a very reaslistic simulator, (costs about million bucks, yes, a $million). You won't find one at your local gaming center.
I have to say it was pretty amazing! If you're thinking of taking an European Cruise, I'd suggest booking yourself on Costa Concordia so you can have a blast.
BTW, also driving was Vitantonio Liuzzi (Red Bull is one of the sponsors of the simulator) and his comments were wery complimentory.
Attached Images   
Old 01-10-2007, 10:20 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Damn It,
No girls gone wild photos so you can sit in a f1 simulator , where are your priorities man..
I was too focused to think about cameras at that moment

Finn,

That looks awesome. The lack of feel of the car in the simulator I drove really was a shame. I can only imagine how it would feel to put it all together. Like yours, this one allowed you to choose the track.

Quick Reply: I drove an F1 simulator car today at CES 2007