Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEST INSTRUCTING PEARLS?? THROW ME A BONE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "driving the student's car" theme has been beaten to death over many threads, but when I HAVE TO drive a green students car for those 2 laps because they have never seen/been on the track, I use that opportunity to drive AT THE PACE that I want them to start at. It gives them quick familiarity with the track, and also a pattern of what I want. Seems to work pretty much all of the time.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:26 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
The "driving the student's car" theme has been beaten to death over many threads, but when I HAVE TO drive a green students car for those 2 laps because they have never seen/been on the track, I use that opportunity to drive AT THE PACE that I want them to start at. It gives them quick familiarity with the track, and also a pattern of what I want. Seems to work pretty much all of the time.
+1
Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Not hard to do ether. Instructor 2.0 tenths = 0.0 Green 9.5 tenths.

I have turned down some nice cars too.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:04 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best advice when one has to drive a students car !!!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:36 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Awwww shucks , just call yourself a Professional and don't use telemetry .
The student will never know
Old 03-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

All good advice I will be using this year as a new instructor myself. I think we should also not forget encouragement and to have fun. My worst experience was my first time on a track. My instructor at the time was a hot head who thought screaming a point across made it more clear. It's those types of experiences that drive students away from the sport. JMO..
Old 03-13-2009, 05:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Absolutly...I have seen in my short instructing time too may instructors taking a student out in the 1st laps either in the students car or the instructors car and doing hot laps right at the start. There is no way a student can learn the track or know the pace they need to be at.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:01 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

The times I have done this, didnt really help much. (Not to say that its not a good idea, as it does makes sense) I think there is just so much of driving that has to be done by the driver to stick. I think the lead follow is good, but if you dont have radios and the following car's driver doesnt understand hand signals, its kind of a mess too. ( Especially when there is more than one car, and the guy behind starts doing the wrong thing, fades back and everyone behind him learns from the lowest commone denominator).

I had a lot of good luck just having folks drive the car, brake straight and turn in on my point. Hand signals like both hands pushing for brakes, a point for the release of brakes and the turn in.

Maybe a good way would be a hybrid. Let the student out first to discover the track with the instructor's help. THEN, drive the car at that same speed or at a better pace, now he has his first experience to reflect on, a correct way, and can use this to feel more comfortable doing what the instructor is guiding him to do.

Obviously communication is key. yelling , screaming, doesnt work and probably is dangerous and not a lot of fun for anyone. I think KISS. Keeping it really simple. Focusing on just a few important things with easy to understand hand signals or verbage is best. This even works for the guys with more advanced skills. "Brake here, release, turn in , track out, accelerate", signals (verbal and hand signals) can do much of what is needed to get someone up to speed quickly and safely .
Old 03-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
..........Or any one you wouldn't want to have to pay to replace Driving students cars........sorry, thats just asking for disaster in my book. Even slow, something could go wrong, then what?
Then simply don't do it! If you are not comfortable driving another's car, don't.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:16 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Then simply don't do it! If you are not comfortable driving another's car, don't.
I don't, never have, no intentions to.........and I've turned down a CGT
And to be clear, its not about "comfort" per say, but having a rather high liability daily life, I simply choose not to muck it up even more with what seems to me to be a useless opportunity for risk.

We always say here that "seat time" is the best receipt for getting better on track, now its ok to jump in their car and drive it for them for a couple of laps? Is it that difficult to instruct a newbie around a new track that they couldn't learn more by a couple of self propelled pace laps under careful instruction?

No offense, this is just my opinion, I know we all have our own ways. This one just seems fruitless given the potential hazards.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile Talk to Viper Bob...

over at Vortex...he has instructed mucho!!!

Read the complete Speed Secrets series, about 8 books. Go to www.porscheownersclub.org There is a drivers manual on there.

The 2 things I remember:
1. The car goes where you bee looking,
2. Look past the end of your hood....
3. Don't do what he did...

2, 3, who is counting....

Quick Reply: BEST INSTRUCTING PEARLS?? THROW ME A BONE!