Sponsored by:

Enclosed trailer generator set up questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Enclosed trailer generator set up questions

Before I have to go seek out a camping/RV BBS, I thought I would ask the esteemed racers on Rennlist my generator questions.

I ended up having a 24 foot haulmark trailer build and plan on having power, both shore and generator (30amp package) My question is will a standard 2500W generator be enough to run my winch when loading the car? If I use a typical off the shelf generator, will I have to worry about running my laptop and getting clean power (would hate to blow it up). Is there anything special I would want to consider when shopping for a generator? Harbor Freight has some inexpensive models (under 400) that look like they would meet my needs but want to get the experts imput on what to watch out for.

I will not be living in the trailer and dont reall want to spend 700-900 on the nice honda generators, just want power for laptop,coffee maker, radio and 18V chargers (and when needed interior lights.).
With the generator, any need for a deep cycle battery?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Buy the Honda and don't look back
Old 11-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Eric - You've been busy!

Give a shout when you come up for air.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:28 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Honda EU2000i for me. As Geoffrey said, just buy it and forget about it. They rock.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:03 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree , with the Dr and Geoffrey, get the honda , anything else will leave you with earplugs and vibration , unless you really want to spend big bucks .. then get the onan !
Old 11-06-2006, 11:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Honda EU2000i for me. As Geoffrey said, just buy it and forget about it. They rock.
+1 on the EU2000i.
Your paddock neighbors will also appreciate if you purchase one.
You can also purchase 2 and run them in parallel (Honda sells the wiring harness to do this) and run an A/C; there is a set up like this at the local kart track.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:22 PM
RTP356
Instructor

I had one Honda EU2000 mounted on the tongue of my 20' trailer and used it to run the roof A/C as well as a small refrigerator, stereo and computer. Never a problem.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a Honda and we also sell Kipor. Get the version that provides clean sine-wave power. It'll be a lot better for your laptop and other electronics. The Kipor, made in China along with Honda Yamaha Kawasaki etc., cheaper and has been pretty reliable. Their clean power model uses a cyclo-invertor - generating DC power and using an invertor to convert the DC to AC. It also has a feature which automatically senses the power demands and varies the throttle (and fuel consumption) accordingly to generate more or less power as needed. Traditional (Cheap) generators run at a constant RPM to generate power at 60HZ. Power and fuel may be wasted.

Like I said I have an EU3000 Honda and we sell Kipor. Realistically you can't go wrong with any of them but if you want to save a few $$$ get the Kipor.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the replies! Ok, no cheap HF generator. Good info on the Kipor Chris.
So now that I am into the racing fund for 3 hoosiers (isnt everything gauged on a set of hoosiers??)

Will a 2000W generator run all the stuff mentioned in the above. I guess my real questions is will a winch under full load for a couple of mins run off a 2000W generator? How about a 1000W? The winch will run off the battery which will be hooked up to the generator via a charging cable
The specs on the winch are

12 volts, 1.8 HP, 37.5 amp draw

I would assume that the coffee maker,computer ect will be fine with a 1000W unit
Old 11-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
Thanks for the replies! Ok, no cheap HF generator. Good info on the Kipor Chris.
So now that I am into the racing fund for 3 hoosiers (isnt everything gauged on a set of hoosiers??)

Will a 2000W generator run all the stuff mentioned in the above. I guess my real questions is will a winch under full load for a couple of mins run off a 2000W generator? How about a 1000W? The winch will run off the battery which will be hooked up to the generator via a charging cable
The specs on the winch are

12 volts, 1.8 HP, 37.5 amp draw

I would assume that the coffee maker,computer ect will be fine with a 1000W unit
Computer is ok. Coffee maker depends on the draw from the heating element. Might be close on a 1000w. Does the generator have DC output or a battery charger integrated in it? Otherwise how do you get an AC unit to charge a DC battery?

Power required to run a device is different than the power required to start a device. I had a Kipor 2000w this summer and I could not get the thing to start a portable air compressor (5 gal.?). Kept tripping the circuit. They have a 3000w and a new 6000w coming.

Figure out what you'll be running. I have a chart at work which illustrates peak power demands for various things.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric: I'm about to add a generator to run AC and heat for my 24' trailer. I plan on getting the Honda EU3000 as it was what the trailer folk said would be best for the AC and lighting.

The generator is not going to run the winch alone. The Honda EU3000 (3000 W) is rated at 25 amps peak power. (Amps = Watts/Volts) Get the battery to run the winch.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:53 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom W
Eric: I'm about to add a generator to run AC and heat for my 24' trailer. I plan on getting the Honda EU3000 as it was what the trailer folk said would be best for the AC and lighting.

The generator is not going to run the winch alone. The Honda EU3000 (3000 W) is rated at 25 amps peak power. (Amps = Watts/Volts) Get the battery to run the winch.
TomW,

The generator 25 amps is at 125 volts making it a 3125 watt generator ,
the winch pulls possible 20 -30 amps max at 12v making it a 360 watt item .

the winch will pull from the battery , the generator should be charging the battery , it has the capacitiy to do so. unless your are talking 25amps @12v.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:28 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any pics on a winch install ? i want to add one but am unsure as to the mounting to the floor. ATC 24 foot trailer
Old 11-07-2006, 09:42 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

As a contractor who uses alot of generators I'm going to have to agree on the Honda's. They're quiet and very dependable. Yes, they cost more initailly but in the long run they're the best.

I've been thinking of adding one to my 24' Millenium also and my question is do people run them with the generator door closed and the "screen" on the door open or do you have to open the door completely?
Also, those with an A/C what size is your A/C And generator?
Thanks.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by smlporsche
As a contractor who uses alot of generators I'm going to have to agree on the Honda's. They're quiet and very dependable. Yes, they cost more initailly but in the long run they're the best.

I've been thinking of adding one to my 24' Millenium also and my question is do people run them with the generator door closed and the "screen" on the door open or do you have to open the door completely?
Also, those with an A/C what size is your A/C And generator?
Thanks.
Liquid cooled - door closed (as long as there is a ventilation screen) ok
Air Cooled - door open, generator pulled out on sliders

Quick Reply: Enclosed trailer generator set up questions