Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With how amazing the tips are today, the tips can shift faster then people can with a clutch. Enjoy your day!!!!! Your going to get the bug!
Old 11-09-2006, 03:05 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rdstemler
My dad is in your area and has used a Tip on his TT for years. I heard that he finally is not the fast guy after years of being so. He just turned 83. No joke.

I thought the Tip was a compromise as I thought it was missing a gear on a C2. That probably isn't as much a factor on a TT.
Will your dad be at the Nov19th Sebring PDE?
Old 11-09-2006, 03:10 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by mitch236
mdrums: I don't think any instructor will be concerned with LFB (if that's what you meant). It is common in tips to drive that way.

See you all at Sebring!!
Yes left foot brake....I have read about it and when I use to have 2 legs I used this technique in my wifes Corvette with an auto. Being a drummer the cordination was no problem. I have since read more about this with track cars and auto tranny's and instructors that teach this. Well since I no longer have a left leg for LFB I wonder how I'll do. I will soon find out! I am really more concerned with learning the proper line around the track, braking technique and mastering the feel of the car. I want to start out smooth and slower and work my way up to speed.
Can't wait!
Old 11-09-2006, 08:55 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't happen to know Rick Allen?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:18 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Rick plays the drums from the company I work for...DW (Drum Workshop). Rick is one of our top endorsee's. I got to meet and speak with Rick right after I got out of the hospital in April 2003 and I still was in a wheelchair because I did not have my prosthetic leg yet. I was at an outside concert in Tampa seeing Def Leppard and 3 doors down. I really wanted to meet Rick and speak with him so I passed my DW business card back stage to him and he came down to meet me. Rick was awesome and inspiring to speak with. His girlfrind kept hugging me and telling me and my wife everything will be alright! Anyway, hopefuly one day and can really spend sometime picking his brain on his drumming and set up. What Rick does with his kit and his playing with only one arm is truely awesome. You would never know Rick plays the drums a little differntly than a 4 limb person if you did not know he lost his arm...he's that good!
Old 11-10-2006, 05:15 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

How about gearing?
If you have five or six gears aren't you more likely to be able to match the speed to the power band better than with four available gears?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:58 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Yep,
One less gear is the major reason you lose a little bit of time.
Re the blown engine: It most likely wasn't from a missed shift or over-rev on a downs hift, as the tip doesn't make that mistake. On some tracks, you can spend alot of time near the redline, so I suspect that metal fatigue and parts failure was the more likely cause. AS
Old 11-11-2006, 02:13 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

So the tiptronic does not let you downshift manually if that shift would result in overrevving? Not a true manual then...saves you from yourself
Old 11-11-2006, 08:21 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a true "bacon-saver"!

Quick Reply: Tracking with a Tiptronic