Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealing with egos - advice for a "girl" driver??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

I second the "fill their side-view mirrors" advice. Seems to be most effective in trying to pass those reluctant to let anything get around them that doesn't have as much hp under the loud pedal too.

Unfortunately, you gotta watch the goofs. They'll eventually watch the mirrors TOO much and do something potentially unexpected.

Fastest run group seems to loose all the ego and just drive (except of course for a little well-chosen friendly competition among friends)

I really gotta stop filling side-view mirrors on the expressway. Habits die hard...
Old 11-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dup. post
Old 11-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I am printing this post out, and putting it in the safe. When my daughter (now 4 1/2 monhs old) turns 5, and if she has the interest, I am going to put her in a kart. And I am gonna read this post every time she competes. And when she is 9, if she is still racing, I am gonna let her read it, because I doubt the world will be much different then!
I don't have a daughter, but I thought it was quite inspiring as well. Works for me regardless of gender. Well done dad. Both dads that is.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

dup. post
Old 11-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see that you run your car with a front protector(at the risk of using the word bra in this thread), get another one for DE, have it embroided with MOVE OVER in reverse, in orange or lime green; I agree, fill that side mirror.

I personally think women at and on the track are great and I would have no problem getting passed by one. I just met two very nice and very competent women drivers at Hallett a couple of weeks ago and they could flat haul A$$ around the track. Unfortunately, IIRC, Karen who was in an RS America, one of her rear axles broke sending her into the tire barrier. She was fine, the car suffered some body damage just at the bumpers and side skirts but all the oil lines and other critical parts were untouched so everyone thought the engine was ok.

Bring your car to Hallett in May of 07 for Mayfest, love to see you there and it's a great track!

Forgive my PAINT attempt at letters on my car but you get the idea!!!

Last edited by Ski; 11-02-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I would give you a pass just to see that license plate again....
Old 11-02-2006, 10:18 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I was going to suggest the 'passed by a girl' bumper sticker but I see you have alread thought of that.
Noting you are Hill Country's registrar, maybe you should jiust hold the offender's applications a wee bit longer?
Stupid drivers are everywhere, even on the track.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I would give you a pass just to see that license plate again....
Hey, no sexist stuff here. Haven't you learned anything from my posts?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:20 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I think I'm in the Fill-Their-Mirrors camp... and have the same problem not doing it on the highway! It's hard to be held in lower esteem than a woman (my wife) driving a 924NA at DE... thankfully it's a fully-built racecar and looks it!

That said, I've always wanted a bumper sticker (for my tow minivan as much as anything) that says "What are you compensating for?" After all, racing (and DE) is definitely one of those "two-ball" sports... (psychologically speaking, of course!)
Old 11-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski
I see that you run your car with a front protector(at the risk of using the word bra in this thread), get another one for DE, have it embroided with MOVE OVER in reverse, in orange or lime green;
If you REALLY wanna have some fun, have it embroidered with "POLICE" in large white backwards letters...heh...
Old 11-02-2006, 11:13 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

If you REALLY wanna have some fun, have it embroidered with "POLICE" in large white backwards letters...heh...
I bet "RARTSIGER" would be more effective at a DE

I bet if you put that on your bra the waters would part like the red sea and you would be cooled by all of the waiving arms . . . .
Old 11-02-2006, 11:18 AM
}{arlequin
Pro

yous are makin' is sooo complex... how'bout just an "HOV" sign w/ an arrow pointing either left or right.... simple "hello" just might be annoying enough too
Old 11-02-2006, 11:18 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Adrienne- are you *sure* you're close enough to get the point bys? I've had students complain about not getting point bys when they were nowhere near close enough. Just a thought.

p.s. my wife says she's never heard people comment about getting passed by a girl (and she's done a LOT of passing!), so maybe it IS a texas thing.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I bet "RARTSIGER" would be more effective at a DE

Love it.

As registrar, why not include a note in his acceptance that there have been complaints in the past about his not letting faster drivers by, and the organizers will be watching...
Old 11-02-2006, 11:39 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am printing this post out, and putting it in the safe. When my daughter (now 4 1/2 monhs old) turns 5, and if she has the interest, I am going to put her in a kart. And I am gonna read this post every time she competes. And when she is 9, if she is still racing, I am gonna let her read it, because I doubt the world will be much different then!
My daughter is 6 months old and I still have 4.5 years to convince my wife that karting is an essential skill children should learn to be safe drivers.

Quick Reply: Dealing with egos - advice for a "girl" driver??