Timeline from Green to Black....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 01:43 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for not reacting defensively;

As an instructor, that shows me something.

Lots of thoughts;

- Someone mentioned humility. Humility is the antidote to an improper focus on advancement. Make sure you have more of the former than the latter. Gary is right-on, and Stang did you a big favor relating his little fall into blindness, if you're paying attention.

- The last thing the group trackchair needs is someone constantly bucking to get bumped up the ladder. That may quite probably see your applications mysteriously dissappearing if you persist.

- You may indeed be stifled in the lower group. However, don't fail to see the value in that. Keep your mouth shut, your mind clear, and tough it out. EVERY experience is a lesson learned. Anticipation of someone else's moves, interval management, communal awareness and respect, learning to subconsciously look through traffic while maintaining your OWN line and composure. All these things are exceedingly valuable lessons that you threaten to miss.

- Be careful, because Der Kommissar is watching.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:46 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
So assuming you go to 15 days per year, it would take between 5-8 years to get to Red.
Colin, good to hear from you!

My goal is to stop at black (that is a whole other discussion), so hopefully it will not take so long...

BTW, if we meet up in Lime Rock next year, besides the ride in your car you promised me, will you instruct me for a least one run and give me your honest opinion?

P.S. Your avatar always makes me smile, no matter how many times I have seen it....
Old 11-01-2006, 01:48 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boston,
since you're in new england i'm guessing you're gonna be doing a lot of laps at NHIS. it is a good place to learn. it's where i first started. if you think you want more trackdays other than pca, you can join and run de's and tt's w/ www.comscc.org they're a good, well organized club and the format is very similar to pca's.

as for your advancement/learning, i think you can start by reading every thread in this forum that's been started by TD

there's not much to add to what's been said, other than tracktime tracktime and more tracktime. the fact that you don't know (yet) which instructor to go with tells it all. when you drive enough times, you WILL know which instructor suits you. it may be b/c of a similar car. it may be b/c of most agressive style. or, it may be b/c he's got 100hp less than you and still lapping you. with a passenger

don't worry about being the fastest in your group right now. it doesn't mean all that much. yet.
people learn at different pace and the slow guy now may be faster than you by the time you both get to the next run group. if you're getting stuck behind cars, it's the perfect time to start working on timing your passing. look far enough ahead and you'll know you don't have to go wot on the straight b/c you'll catch him in a corner or some other 'no passing' zone. doesn't help you. instead, lift off the gas and see if you can time your pass same as your trackout point.

is your rpm at the trackout same every time? if not, consistency is a great quality which will help you in car setup later on. good luck. ...oh yeah.... pass the crackpipe.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD

My goal is to stop at black (that is a whole other discussion), so hopefully it will not take so long...

BTW, if we meet up in Lime Rock next year, besides the ride in your car you promised me, will you instruct me for a least one run and give me your honest opinion?

P.S. Your avatar always makes me smile, no matter how many times I have seen it....
Why wait until next year? CVR is at Limerock 10/10-10/11 and by the last list I saw has a lot of room in Green! Excellent instructors (as most are in all regions I have frequented)!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:18 PM
David K.
Pro

I’ll sign you off, where’s the sign-off book?

Oh right next to the Spin Book!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:23 PM
David K.
Pro

Originally Posted by 38D
Snip..
I would guess the normal range is something like the following:

Snip..
Black --> Red, 25-40 days
In one region it only takes 2 laps!...
Old 11-01-2006, 02:53 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Save this and read it again when you are solo or in black group.

Except when your wife is wondering what your doing on the internet.

I provided a very dry, objective response. I expected everyone else to provide words of wisdom which they did.

Larry, well put. Everyone wants to advance that stays with the program. Why? It acknowledges accomplishment and reinforces the ego. Nothing wrong with being motivated, but to dwell on the point of "don't rush to move up" and always look for additional instruction when your solo is paramount in developing further skills. Be safe, have fun, and don't hit sh*t.

BTW, getting a high horse power starter car is the toughest way to get better fast. Everyone will agree you are better off with a lower horse power car for learning on. Anyone can push the pedal down in a straight line. Deal with the corners, braking and car control before looking at a 400hp monster. Instructors draw straws on teaching a newbie in a high HP car. (just kidding)
Old 11-01-2006, 03:15 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Why wait until next year? CVR is at Limerock 10/10-10/11 and by the last list I saw has a lot of room in Green!
Thanks for the heads up, I will definetly try to be there.....
Old 11-01-2006, 03:25 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993

BTW, getting a high horse power starter car is the toughest way to get better fast. Everyone will agree you are better off with a lower horse power car for learning on. Anyone can push the pedal down in a straight line. Deal with the corners, braking and car control before looking at a 400hp monster.
That is why I purchased a Cayman S, and that is why the GT3 passed me on a straight on my first DE event
Old 11-01-2006, 03:28 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is why I purchased a Cayman S, and that is why the GT3 passed me on a straight on my first DE event
errr, ummm, a Cayman S is hardly a low hp car . . . At 295 HP, you have nearly double the HP I currently have in my track car. Honestly, though, getting a low hp car was one of the very best things I did for myself. As frustrating as it is, I do believe it is easier to learn what you must learn when you do not have the luxury of HP.

My prediction is that you will look back on this thread and giggle after you have done more than one DE.

What counts more than rapid advancement is whether you are learning solid skills and having a fun. Nothing else matters. Focus on learning and advancement will take care of itself.

P.S. How did you wad up the two skippy cars?

P.S.x2 Welcome to the addiction . . . Just try to keep your day job so that you are not forced into a life of petty crimes and walking the streets to support your "habit."

Last edited by TD in DC; 11-01-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

isn't a slow GT3 an oxymoron?
You didn't meet me last year in Green. In the local BMW club there were a flood of instructors joining my sessions: "I've got a GT3 to pass!" I was amused.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:37 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Instructors draw straws on teaching a newbie in a high HP car. (just kidding)
Well... around here it is more like

Cheif Instructor to instructors "Please step forward if want the 996TT with the 700 hp RUF kit and driven by this kid with zits and freckels?"

**The line of instructors takes a step back except for the one guy thinking about Colin's Avatar!**

Intestingly enough I did have student with 996 TT with some sort fo tech art suspension & ruf power deal driven by a guy who look about 20. However he turned out to have really good attitiude and was a solid safe driver.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

That statement is just downright sad to me....... and I can tell you mean it! TD's right, you will look back on this someday and burst into hysterics.

Keep plugging away in that dog of a Caymen S..
Old 11-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
P.S.x2 Welcome to the addiction . . . Just try to keep your day job so that you are not forced into a life of petty crimes and walking the streets to support your "habit."
and lurking on Rennlist all day.....
Old 11-01-2006, 03:59 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
That statement is just downright sad to me....... and I can tell you mean it! TD's right, you will look back on this someday and burst into hysterics.

Keep plugging away in that dog of a Caymen S..
Yeah, we mean nothing ill by this observation, but it is true. I laugh at my earlier videos and posts, and cry at my more recent ones.

And I also realize with each passing track day how much there really is to learn . . .

As they say, so long as you are having fun, nothing else matters . . .

Quick Reply: Timeline from Green to Black....