Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homeowner's association called about the car....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

The one here is a nightmare also. I perhaps own the largest house on the development and have the most cars. I left the 911's outside one evening as I was inside the garage picking things up and putting them in bins for the trailer in preparation for a race.

Next day I had a letter in my front door reminding me that I was not allowed to wrench cars... I went around and made a list with photos of all violations per house (weeds, antennas, boats, commercial vehicles) which I presented to one of my neighbors who's on the board. I've never had another complaint not even when I fire up the race car to drive it to the trailer.........

I have all pics still just in case
Old 10-06-2006, 02:47 AM
linust
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many on this forum have a biased view toward HOAs. Sadly, that view is usually not the majority in planned communities. Personally, I would not live in a HOA community. But as a real estate agent, I understand their value and why people (generally) want them--they do help keep the neighborhood looking better, preserving and enhancing value. It is only to those with biased views that they detract from the value of the home.

A couple more thoughts here...
* As already mentioned, if you're in a HOA community, get involved. Run for the board. This is especially important if you're living in a condo and you want (your) voice of reason to be heard. And yes, there are busy-bodies with nothing better to do than rat on their neighbors. Sometimes even the HOA boards get annoyed by the busy-bodies.
* Depending on the state you are in, you may or may not "sign off" on CC&Rs. Here in Washington, CC&Rs are generally recorded on title, so that you and all subsequent owners of your home are bound by the CC&Rs. You should review the title report (abstract) prior to closing to understand what the CC&Rs are and how they impact you
* As also mentioned, if CC&Rs are ignored long enough, they may become unenforceable. This could be a good or bad thing, depending on your POV
* HOA usually DO have super-powers to lien your property and even foreclose if you break rules and fail to pay fines. Don't ignore them. Just to repeat--get involved in the HOA (with a few like-minded neighbors) so you can influence the direction of your community.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by smankow
my HOA is now (after 13 years) telling me I'm violating the bylaws by washing my car in front of my house.
Ok, Steve, I'll bring the beer and we can get the whole group to your house for a car washing party, right after we flush our brakes and rev our engines. I'll be suer to wear my numbers, too.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:08 PM
WearyMicrobe
Advanced

You guys are luckly, mine changed the due by date on our fees without notice and then tried to sieze the defaulted owners properties, something like 125$ in late fees.

I have been told that I canot use hardwoods floors not because of the nose but because of the color I had picked. When my car was vandilised and should have been covered by the HOA insurance I had to lawyer up to get them to even acepp partial responibility. Its a racket, and unfortuently mine is run by a bunch of older people with nothing better to do.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:32 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by gbaker
A local HOA will not permit any vehicles with stickers. When Chuck parks his plumbing van in his drive at the end of the day, he has to throw a tarp over it because it says "Chuck's Plumbing" on the side.

Most HOAs don't realize how such nonsense decreases property values, exactly what they are trying to avoid.

I wonder how they'd react to a sherriff who takes his car home with him moved into the area.

"ummm yeah, sherriff sir, you can't park your car here, HOA won't let you."
Old 10-09-2006, 12:17 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

I'm glad to say that we have no HOA, which makes my 5 cars, trailer, and periodic wrenching in my driveway OK. BUUUUT, our town codes don't allow us a build a garage larger than 2 cars!!! Now there's a problem!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:12 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
I'm glad to say that we have no HOA, which makes my 5 cars, trailer, and periodic wrenching in my driveway OK. BUUUUT, our town codes don't allow us a build a garage larger than 2 cars!!! Now there's a problem!
There might be a loophole on this for you. I had a client with the same issue, so they built a very, very, very nice shed on the back of the garage that just happened to connect to the garage.............
Old 10-09-2006, 01:38 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bobt993
There might be a loophole on this for you. I had a client with the same issue, so they built a very, very, very nice shed on the back of the garage that just happened to connect to the garage.............
I used to have an 'office' that just happend to have a roll up door, 14' wide and 30' deep.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:17 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
I used to have an 'office' that just happend to have a roll up door, 14' wide and 30' deep.

Nice. A fellow clubber designed his addition to include a dormer with double windows above the garage where the headlights for his car could be seen while on the lift..... I am still laughing about that one.

Quick Reply: Homeowner's association called about the car....