Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Basic Racing Question..... (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/299646-basic-racing-question.html)

signal 09-18-2006 11:27 PM

Basic Racing Question.....

This is a very dumb question, but in all honesty I dont watch much racing.

What type of racing is it where they race production style cars like porsche 997, etc. In other words not the formula cars, not nascar, but rather cars that look like the ones on the road...........I'd like to go see some of that, and hopefully see some p-cars race.

Brian

allergic2milk 09-18-2006 11:55 PM

Le Mans? Rolex Cup.. these have gt3's and corvetes...

signal 09-19-2006 12:05 AM

sounds good, so is this called "GT", "GTS", "GT3"? Whats the term so when i go looking for races I know its the right "type"?

tkerrmd 09-19-2006 12:07 AM

world speed challenge series on Speed channel

kurquhart 09-19-2006 12:42 AM

ALMS has 996 style bodied cars in the GT2 class.
http://www.americanlemans.com/home/ALMSHome.aspx

They also have the Porsche RS Spyder in LMP2, but it looks like nothing driven on the road!

I just ordered my tickets for Laguna Seca. :cool:

mark kibort 09-19-2006 02:31 AM

To answer your question directly,

grand am cup GS and ST class. - these are very close to cars you would see on the street, but gutted and gaged.

Speed world challenge- wolves in sheep clothing. both GT and Touring classes. (ie vets/vipers/porsche/caddie and in touring, acura/audi/mazda/bmw etc)

ALMS had a class called GT/GTS and now called GT2 and GT1. - vets, vipers, austin martins, masseratis, porsches, etc. all tubed framed type race cars, or close to it, with huge hp and the shape of their stock street cousins.

Mk

Nordschleife 09-19-2006 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by mark kibort
ALMS had a class called GT/GTS and now called GT2 and GT1. - vets, vipers, austin martins, masseratis, porsches, etc. all tubed framed type race cars, or close to it, with huge hp and the shape of their stock street cousins.

Mk

To clarify the above answer -

in ACO / ALMS & FIA-GT racing, the GT1 cars have 'trick' frames, so the Ferrari or Aston Martin you are looking at might have started life as a Lotus Exige chassis for example, the Corvettes bear no relationship to what you see on the street and the Maseratis are out and out race cars. The GT2 class, in which the Porsches run does have a reasonable relationship to the road going 996 and 997, other cars in this class include F430 Ferraris, Panoz Esperanzas (or whatever they are called, is it Ford Mustangs?), TVRs, and assorted odds and sods.

The horsepower in both these classes is often less than in their highly tuned street legal cousins because the cars have restrictors on their air intakes.

Most of the cars in both classes have racing gearboxes, but not all.

R+C

mark kibort 09-19-2006 02:51 PM

which cars dont have racing gear boxes?? I dont think any of them dont have racing gear boxes in GT2 or 1.

Mk

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
To clarify the above answer -

in ACO / ALMS & FIA-GT racing, the GT1 cars have 'trick' frames, so the

Most of the cars in both classes have racing gearboxes, but not all.

R+C

Nordschleife 09-20-2006 10:14 AM

there are Zondas, Gallardos, TVRs, Spykers, (some) GT2 Ferraris which do not have racing gearboxes amongst a host of others.

Also its only since the 997 that Cup cars have had racing gearboxes.

There is a new gearbox available from xtrac which will start appearing in street and track cars. As it is transverselymounted rather than longitudinally it is less likely to be damaged in an accident - which is a big plus now you cannot change boxes at Le Mans - it also has a sweet set of flappy paddles

R+C