Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Towing with a Nissan X-Terra (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/296247-towing-with-a-nissan-x-terra.html)

renvagn 09-02-2006 02:54 PM

I

tow only occasionally, but I am now using an F350 Superduty Powerstroke 4x4. It is an exceptional towing vehicle, and I feel very safe when towing my (generally) 4k-6k loads. Especially in tricky situations like weather, or hills, or traffic, or the entrance to Laguna Seca. ;-).

Also, I have electric brakes, this is a key feature I have not seen mentioned yet.

I don't use a load distributing hitch, this rig is OK w/o it.

Hope this helps! Whatever you decide, be safe out there.

renvagn 09-02-2006 02:58 PM

Wormhole,

Better yet.......Skip the beginning step of an open trailer, the middle step of the closed trailer and your tow vehicle problems. Go right to the Chrome tractor/camper and two car level transport combination. Be the envy of your region and address your lodging requirements in the process.

Rick964 09-02-2006 06:17 PM

This is all great information and stuff I will deeply consider when I get ready to buy a tow vehicle down the road. However I can't help but think of all the Europeans who tow all kinds of stuff without having any of the full size truck/SUV options that everyone is talking about here. Over there a Cayenne is a big SUV and I often see people towing boats, campers, cars, etc. with station wagons.

Bull 09-02-2006 07:05 PM

Yep, there are people who don't have the rich aray of choices we have. As a good friend of mine says about playing golf in Scotland..."do you really think they would choose to play in those conditions, on those courses, if they had choices like Pebble Beach, Baltisrol, etc."? Same thing here...all kinds of reasons ...economic, political, etc.

RedlineMan 09-02-2006 08:03 PM

FWIW...I tow a 3,000 lb "89" 951 with a new Trail-X (full Deck) with a Pathfinder.
Substitute:

- Cherokee, Grand or not.
- Explorer
- 4Runner
- M class MB
- Any midsize P/U
- Etc., etc....

That's about as light a load as you can get. Still an accident waiting to happen. It just hasn't yet. :icon501:

Please be careful, folks.

Chris White 09-04-2006 01:07 PM

I can something from experience – the Nissan Titan transmission does not work well if you have to back up a hill with a trailer. My transmission trips the overheat ‘safe mode’ and stops the truck three times (every time) while backing up my 250’ fairly steep driveway.

I have been trying to get them to do something but Nissan refuses – they claim it is a safety feature. I went through the Lemon law procedure and lost because the Nissan tech rep lied at the hearing. The arbitrator decided that there was not a ‘loss of value” to the consumer. BS, I bought the truck to tow with - 9500lb capacity - and it can’t push 4500 lbs up my driveway in reverse. Furthermore Nissan customer service absolutely sucks.

So – be careful with Nissan, they can be a pain to deal with.

Chris White

kgorman 09-05-2006 02:12 AM

12500 :D

Originally Posted by renvagn
I

:burnout: F350 super duty......All you have is what, a whimpy 12,000 pound towing capacity. :burnout:

Gary R. 09-05-2006 10:57 AM

My 2500HD Duramax Ext. Cab 4x4 -

Box Length (ft.) - 6.5/8
Max. Trailer Weight (lbs.) - 14,800
Required Axle Ratio GCWR2,3 (lbs.) - 3.73
GCWR2,3 (lbs.) - 22,000

:p