Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Ohio Short Course

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am with Chipster, I am glad that I ran it but would rather leave it at that. I much prefer coming out and doing Mid-OH and not taking the shortcut to the back straight. I found that doing a late apex for me through 1 and standing on the brakes, even with a downshift seemed to make it through that part the best over the double apex for me. I can agree with John to some point on the instructing but feel it made 1 all the more "interesting" for my student that had never been there before or at any track for that matter.

It did make for some interesting video though following some of the guys through in the instructor group and looking up to see the chicane and keyhole littered with cones as you looked up the course. I only wish I had a rearward camera at one point to see some of the "I give up" lines through the connector.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Chip - did you get any lap times on the short course?
Old 08-24-2006, 09:50 PM
gary buff
AutoX

It was a real eye-opener to be sure.....you couldn't learn where the new turn's braking point would be from pitout as you basically go from entering the track directly into Turn 2. So around the track I go, through Turn 1 pretty much as I normally do--and Turn 2's RIGHT THERE! Into the ABS, braking into the turn (I drive a Mini Cooper so I do that quite often anyway) and there's a car stopped dead in the middle of the track facing me! Fortunately it's very wide through there so I was able to drive around him and stay on track....quite a first lap indeed.

Turned out to be a tremendous event--weather was perfect and I had a blast.

Gary
Old 08-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Skip - no lap times. I was in the daily driver 964 on day one. Maybe TJ managed to get a few times - we normally run pretty close numbers.

I never felt comfortable with the turn 1-2 section. I understand the double-apex is the way to go. This is a quote from Dave Roush - one of the Mid Ohio school instructors:

"It is a slightly technical yet fairly simple section. Turn 1 remains the same right up to the apex on the pit out curbing. At or around the apex the you need to straighten the wheel and brake into the connector (turn 2 short course). Trail braking into the connector it is similar to a double apex with the line taking you deep into the outside of the connector approx. mid-corner, get the car turned and take a late 2nd apex in the connector leading you onto the back straight. Exit speed is key and if done properly you do not even need to track all the way to the outside (left) of the back straight."
Old 08-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Skip/Chip, I was able to get a 1:29:10 and fully believe that I would have been able to get easily into the 1:28's with a little more time and less first day mess ups. All in all it was a great time up at Mid-OH, could not ask for more perfect weather. And hey, now I can say I did a 1:29 at Mid-OH!!! short course

Quick Reply: Mid Ohio Short Course