Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How close are my track tires to being used up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 04:11 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default How close are my track tires to being used up?

My shaved (4/32nd originally) Toyo RA1As are just down to the wear bars; this is after 25 heat cycles.
Anyone care to hazard a guess as to how many more heat cycles I have until they are corded? It would be good to know about how much they have have left.
Thes are DE tires, and are generally corded before they go greasy.
TIA
Old 07-21-2006, 04:23 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Check out this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/281821-odd-wear-on-ra1-s-at-the-rear-see-pic.html

I'm well into the wear bars, and the entire outside edge (on the right in the pic) is worn off, yet guys were saying they're only half-way done!! I haven't tested the theory yet.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They will run just fine until they look like slicks, and will likely continue to get faster. Just keep an eye on on the shoulders - when you start to see what look like small circumferential lines at the shoulders they are getting ready to cord.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:06 AM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

My experience has been that 25 cycles is about the point the grip goes away. You can run them on down to the cord, but you might find that your street tires stick better! I start with a partial shave (4-5/32, not the "race" shave of 3/32), and find that I now run out of rubber about the same time as I run out of grip.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:22 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by m3bs
My experience has been that 25 cycles is about the point the grip goes away. You can run them on down to the cord, but you might find that your street tires stick better! I start with a partial shave (4-5/32, not the "race" shave of 3/32), and find that I now run out of rubber about the same time as I run out of grip.
This is what I think also. I keep on hearing they are fast right up until they cord, but mine are really close to cording right now and I was a second off my times at SPR a few weeks ago. ...might have also been the warmer weather or a slicker track, but for whatever reason I didn't feel as though I had as much grip.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:02 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Might well be true; car was geting loose during the last run group at Mont Tremblant; admittedly it was NER's Enduro, so I was out for about 45 minutes (with a 5 minute break in the middle). I was suspicious that the tires might have been hotterthan usual,and was tired, so I came in.
Of course, the car might have been loose because I was tired.
I'll report back after my next event, which is 2 open track days at the Glenn.
Thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 09:23 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep checking and adjusting the pressures, but I have gotten 50 heat cycles from mine on a regular basis.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:40 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Thanks, Scott

Good to hear from you, and thanks for the suggestions; will do.
I was interested in the question so that I could develop kind of a milestone ('when the tires are at the wear bars, I have perhaps 25 more heat cycles'), but will of course as always watch the wear and pressures like a hawk.
Had a great time at Tremblant - the music festival is fabulous, as is the track, of course. You have got to join us next year for both.
Off to WGI this Sunday for 2 days of open track (Monday and Tuesday); yahoo!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:44 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

If you're just down to the wear bars you have a lot of life left. As Matt said, when you start to see indentations in between the outer shoulder blocks you're almost to the cord.

I've found RA1s are at their fastest when they're nearly slicks, though for my heavy car, that's only about 25-30 heat cycles.

Jim A (Forklift), SP didn't have much traction a few weeks ago (at Hyperfest). I was running newish Hoos and could barely beat my best times on RA1s.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:48 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted to and should have gone to both. My plan was to do the CR and then DE...one thing lead to another and now, I am going down to summit for a de and I'll get some practice in for the CR in Oct. Seems like you are getting some use of the new vehicle...It looks great and use it with the best of enjoyment!!!Hope to see you soon.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:59 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thank you
The 'indents between outer shoulder blocks' comment is helpful as well.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:38 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951
Jim A (Forklift), SP didn't have much traction a few weeks ago (at Hyperfest). I was running newish Hoos and could barely beat my best times on RA1s.
Cool, thanks. I thought that might be the case, but wasn't sure. I wonder why the track had so little grip...?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:07 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In my experience RA-1 last until the cords or they noticeable have no grip. I have gotten 48 heat cycles from 1 set and 35 from a couple others. This is until they simply don't stick any more. However they have been virtual slicks for 10-20 heat cycles long before they got old. When they get down to the bars they are looking really good. I perfer to race on tire with 25 heat cycles vs ones with less than 5 even if shaved. The older tires simply work better on my car.

Quick Reply: How close are my track tires to being used up?