Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone selling a GT3RS or RSR

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:23 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As Mr. Hajny stated, their very expensive to operate. A friend bought a very, very expensive 05' RSR motor from PMS to replace their 03' RS motor which was done. The new motor lasted one day and grenaded without any warranty from Porsche.

There are a few RS/RSR's running out West in club compeition. The really good drivers are faster than they would be in a cup, but not by much. One team has races a 997 cup and a 05' RSR. Their times at Cal Speedway in 2 events this year were really similar...

As for maintainence, my 03' Cup went 100 hours before a teardown. The pistons and cylinders were still well within specs. The cost including bearings, heads, rings, etc. and including synchros and sliders in the gearbox was $23k. installed. I'll take those maintaince costs anyday over a $80k RSR motor that's only marginally faster unless in a pro's hands....

So as I asked in my original post, why would you want a RS/RSR over a Cup?
Old 07-05-2006, 01:45 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

Hope the "Rivetmobile" gives you the same good service, JR. If I could have recommended a well-cared for car, the one you bought would have been on my list for sure!
Old 07-05-2006, 05:56 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey;
Hope the "Rivetmobile" gives you the same good service, JR. If I could have recommended a well-cared for car, the one you bought would have been on my list for sure!
I couldn't agree more Mr. Hajny. I've probably put 25 hours on it so far along with the 10 or so it came with. It still leaks 2-4%, and I've yet to have another cup pull on me, 996 or 997 and I've raced lots of them. Clean oil, shifting before the rev limiter, and sound driving principles all contribute to these cars longevity. Oh that and a great rebuild like Mr. Pelligrino did on this car....

Every time I think about changing Mr. Bressinger's graphics, I look at his original pics and appreciate the creativity. He had a copy of his State of New Hampshire, Board of Architecture stamp on the circle on his hood displaying his number. I loved that. I should find out who made those graphics as I need some replacements...

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 07-05-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:14 AM
1Qk944turbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to check out what was out there.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:36 PM
MarkSchu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newbie question - what's the difference between 996 RS, RSR, and Cup car?

Quick Reply: Anyone selling a GT3RS or RSR