Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!st NASA race

Old 06-17-2006, 11:30 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default !st NASA race

I ran my first NASA race at BeaveRun last weekend and had a great time. I really enjoyed the relaxed atmoshere as well as the modified 13 rule. While there was very little contact in the GTS group it is nice to know if something minor happened at least you won't get throw out for the weekend. I was surprised to see how serious NASA was about weighting cars (I was weighted twice) as well as a bunch of cars getting a dyno test after the race on Sunday.There is not as much track time but in the end you have more time and it isn't so rushed.

Mike
Old 06-18-2006, 08:04 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you signed up for Hyperfest? July 8&9@ Summit Point? That is the next event.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:16 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by sleder
Are you signed up for Hyperfest? July 8&9@ Summit Point? That is the next event.
Do you have a link to sign up for this? Is there anything special that one needs to do to run in NASA? (I only have my PCA license).
Old 06-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Colin,

Couple of things you need to do.

1st, join NASA, $40/year and includes a subscription to Grassroots mag
https://www.nasaproracing.com/joinrenew.html

2nd, apply for your NASA Competition License. Your PCA license will be recognized for a full NASA license. Here's the comp license page, there's a link for the license form on it: http://www.nasaproracing.com/proracing/license.html

3rd, you need to class your car for GTS and get a dyno sheet for your car. You'll have to read the GTS rules. Their website is http://www.gtschallenge.com/
and the forum they hang out is http://www.nasaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=44

4th, you need to sign up for the event, you can do it online. HyperFest is put on by the MidAtlantic Region of NASA. Here's their event page: http://www.nasaracing.net/HyperFest06/event.htm

And finally, you have to get an annual (NASA) tech for your car. You can get that at the track when you show up. If I remember, the main difference between PCA CR rules and NASA is belts and window nets expiration dates. I got tripped up my first time because NASA requires an expiration date on the window nets and PCA doesn't. You'll have to look at the NASA GCR and make sure you meet the safety specs.

The NASA series is a fun group of folks and an enjoyable racing venue. Likewise, the GTS group is a fun place to pay. I'll be at HyperFest in my 44Cup car. Its a great weekend. Enjoy.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:02 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Colin, The Gts Challenge link is: www.gtschallenge.com
That will give you some of the info of the series. Fun group, well organized, reasonable costs, and the seriousness of the 13/13...
Old 06-18-2006, 06:34 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Cris Brady
Hey Colin,

Couple of things you need to do.

1st, join NASA, $40/year and includes a subscription to Grassroots mag
https://www.nasaproracing.com/joinrenew.html

2nd, apply for your NASA Competition License. Your PCA license will be recognized for a full NASA license. Here's the comp license page, there's a link for the license form on it: http://www.nasaproracing.com/proracing/license.html

3rd, you need to class your car for GTS and get a dyno sheet for your car. You'll have to read the GTS rules. Their website is http://www.gtschallenge.com/
and the forum they hang out is http://www.nasaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=44

4th, you need to sign up for the event, you can do it online. HyperFest is put on by the MidAtlantic Region of NASA. Here's their event page: http://www.nasaracing.net/HyperFest06/event.htm

And finally, you have to get an annual (NASA) tech for your car. You can get that at the track when you show up. If I remember, the main difference between PCA CR rules and NASA is belts and window nets expiration dates. I got tripped up my first time because NASA requires an expiration date on the window nets and PCA doesn't. You'll have to look at the NASA GCR and make sure you meet the safety specs.

The NASA series is a fun group of folks and an enjoyable racing venue. Likewise, the GTS group is a fun place to pay. I'll be at HyperFest in my 44Cup car. Its a great weekend. Enjoy.

Thanks. I just joined NASA. I will definitely make a GTS event or two this year.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:47 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike/Cris,

If I'm not mistaken the NASA weight includes the driver versus the PCA method which is sans driver, no?

E.g., for PCA F stock the 968's weight is 3086 lbs. That's without the driver. For NASA "supercup" the 968's weight minimum is 3200 lbs., which, I take it, is WITH my butt in the car. Is this right??

Thanks.

P.S.: Mike, are you planning on going up to Mosport 7/1 - 2?
Old 06-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Richard,

you're correct. NASA weights car WITH the driver. For 944 SuperCup, 968's need to weight 3200 lbs which includes the driver. In Colin's case, if he runs GTS which class he's in is dependent on how much power the car makes divided by his weight (which includes driver).
Old 06-18-2006, 07:58 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't forget torque. Colin you'll have a great time. See you guys for Hyper Fest!
Old 06-18-2006, 08:52 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFAIC this is the way to go. The more I think it over, the more the power to weight thing makes sense to me. As loyal as I am to PCA, the GTS series is the only one that works for me given the stupidity I've shown in building my track car. I suspect you've convinced me but I've got a couple of questions.

1) how do the fees compare to PCA? 2) If you're not a licensed PCA racer, but rather a PCA Black run group driver, can you get a rookie license or do you have to attend a school first?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:31 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Richard:

With NASA and the GTS division it pwr to weight. For the GTS2 class the low end is 14.5 lbs/hp. I dynoed at 202.8 so I can weight 2941 with me in the car. That means the car can weight 200# less w/o me and right now there is no way I can get the car to that point and still run PCA.

My next event will be Mid-Ohio July 7-9. I will be able to run at the Nationals if I want to as I will have 5 events with points (If all goes well).

The NASA fee for a race w/e is ~$270.00 and that is for 2 practice, 2 qual, 2 races.

The modified 13 limits contact while being less restrictive than PCA's 13.

Mike
Old 06-18-2006, 09:49 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RJay
how do the fees compare to PCA? 2) If you're not a licensed PCA racer, but rather a PCA Black run group driver, can you get a rookie license or do you have to attend a school first?
NASA race fees here in the East are usually about $80 or so cheaper then PCA. NASA MidAtlantic entry is $245 and that is for two races plus practice and qualifying sessions.

If you do not have a comp license currently, you can either attend a one day comp school with NASA or if you have enough DE experience you can be evaulated for a comp license by signing up for any NASA DE (2 day process).

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
E.g., for PCA F stock the 968's weight is 3086 lbs. That's without the driver. For NASA "supercup" the 968's weight minimum is 3200 lbs., which, I take it, is WITH my butt in the car. Is this right??

P.S.: Mike, are you planning on going up to Mosport 7/1 - 2?
Correct on the weight of the 968 for Super Cup. To register for Mosport, use this link to access the forms. This is not a NASA event, but rather a CASC event. There is a race entry form and a test day entry form: http://www.casc.on.ca/forms.php. Entry forms must be mailed in using hard copy. The fee is $300.US. This includes practice and qualifying sessions and 3 sprint races. The 944 Cup will have a separate run group and a modfiied 13/13 will be in effect. Your PCA comp license and log book will get you in the race, provided you have a full roll cage vs a roll bar.

DD
Old 06-18-2006, 10:46 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW, the comp school is the BEST! They put you through a regime that keeps you on your toes and make you realize if this is for you or not...At the end of my comp school day at VIR I had 179 miles from the school day. Plus you do classroom. Probably one of the best bangs for the buck you can imagine! This is a 5 Star event!!! 2 Thumbs up for NASA MA!!!
Old 06-18-2006, 11:06 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cris, Mike, DD:

Thanks for the replies.

Mike, how is dyno HP verified for NASA? Do I need to bring the dyno machine's "print-out" with me to the track? Also, is the HP number as measured at the rear wheels??

How recent a dyno reading is required? My car was dyno'd earlier this month. Should the car be dyno'd again, say a week before the Mosport race?

DD,

I've got the race application on my office desk. And I am mailing my NASA license application & annual fee tomorrow (based on my PCA license). As you suggest I will bring my PCA license and log book to Mosport. Yes, the car has a full welded-in Safety Devices cage. I understand that this is not a "NASA" event, but I ordered the 944 cup decals for the car anyway as I plan on entering the Lime Rock event in August - unsure about Pocono at this point.

Thanks, again, for your help.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
Richard:

With NASA and the GTS division it pwr to weight. For the GTS2 class the low end is 14.5 lbs/hp. I dynoed at 202.8 so I can weight 2941 with me in the car. That means the car can weight 200# less w/o me and right now there is no way I can get the car to that point and still run PCA.
Mike
So my 180HP SC / maybe 160 at the rear wheels can weigh in at 2320 including me? That's pretty darn light..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: !st NASA race