Sponsored by:

Save Road Atlanta!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 07:51 AM
wildhorsesracing
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Save Road Atlanta!

a developer has contracted to purchase a tract of property directly adjacent to Road Atlanta. The property line is 50 feet from the actual race track along Turn 9 backstretch. 9 acres will be reserved for commercial development and the remaining will be developed into High Density Residential called "Park at Riverside".

They are encouraging all to send a letter or email to the Hall County Commissioners supporting our urgent need to deny the residential portion of this rezoning. The project is up for review June 19th at the Hall County Planning Commission meeting.
Hall County Commissioners:
Hall County Website
Tom Oliver
Chairman
toliver@hallcounty.org
Deborah Lynn
Commissioner District 1
dlynn@hallcounty.org
Billy Powell
District 2
bpowell@hallcounty.org
Seve Gailey
District 3
sgailey@hallcounty.org
Deborah Mack
District4
dmack@hallcounty.org
Jim Shuler
County Administrator
jshuler@allcounty.org

Contact Brian Skuza, General Manager Road Atlanta 770/967-6143 or at bskuza@roadatlanta.com if you have questions or comments.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:23 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

I'm very suprised Dan Panoz is not somehow stepping in to try and sideline this - or maybe he has already tried?
Old 06-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

What's going to happen to the track if there is residential property 50 feet away? Are we talking db limits? We already have the quite time on Sunday morning, what else could happen?
Old 06-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorris3
What's going to happen to the track if there is residential property 50 feet away? Are we talking db limits? We already have the quite time on Sunday morning, what else could happen?
db limits at all times most likely.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know/my family knows several of those people, including Tom Oliver. I'll definitely be speaking to them about this.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:34 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Road Atlanta used to be in the middle of nowhere. It was hard to understand the "quite hour", but that was Hall County.... It's had growth around it and it's still not very populated, but to have some idiot buy land on top of it for a neighborhood? WTF?

I've sent mine out.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Thats a track with a lot of history and not only race-wise... wasn't it built with drug money by the Whittington Brothers? or is that folklore...
Old 06-09-2006, 01:58 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Thats a track with a lot of history and not only race-wise... wasn't it built with drug money by the Whittington Brothers? or is that folklore...
After some big-shot developer tried to buy Road America and turn it into condo's (the actual track, not the land around it) a few years ago. The state made it some kind of historical grounds or something, pretty much preserving it as is. If I have the story correclty, he was quietly trying to buy up shares. He didn't know / realize the Chicago SCCA owns a major stacke in RA. Not to mention many other high profile owners like Carl Haas.

Any talk of db limits at RA have been laughed at. You can hear the Champ Cars 10 miles away in Plymouth - the way racing should be

Didn't Laguna Seca get slapped with db limits in the past few years due to all the new houses going up around it?
Old 06-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

There's an air park just north of La Crosse. A couple of years ago a developer started a new subdivision just off the south end of the runway. One of the covenants for the subdivision was that none of the residents could ever raise a complaint about noise from the air park. That covenant is in a separate document and will not expire like other covenants.
"The Lots described . . . are adjacent to an aircraft facility. The passage of aircraft in, through, and across the airspace above the Lots . . . will create noise, vibration, odors, vapors and other conditions incident to the use of aircraft. Further, the use of such airspace may cause a nuisance or annoyance to a Lot owner, their successors and assigns."
Link to story
Maybe something similar could be written here?

They let us use the runway once for an autocross. ONCE. I guess we were too loud.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:35 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Kurt,
Excellent example. I feel so sorry for people who build million dollar homes next to a race track / air field and have to "put up with" engine noise.

Heartland Park Topeka is a great example of people thinking ahead. Built next to an air force base - lets see someone try to complain the government needs to put mufflers on F-15's.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by jmorris3
We already have the quite time on Sunday morning, what else could happen?
Road Atlanta estates. Fine hillside properties with well maintained roads already in place.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Road Atlanta was built long before the Whittington brothers bought it will their illegal drug money. Now Don Panoz bought it with his legal drug money.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Geo
legal drug money.
Nice.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:11 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

There's an air park just north of La Crosse. A couple of years ago a developer started a new subdivision just off the south end of the runway. One of the covenants for the subdivision was that none of the residents could ever raise a complaint about noise from the air park.
I live in an airpark & we have covenants with all the surrounding developments. We have also bought up a considerable amount of land around us to avoid these types of issues. Seems like an adaptation of this type of document would work in a race track situation.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:17 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

There was talk of development around the track, including off-road tracks, karting, and realted business\commercial stuff, and I thought housing. I saw maps in the tower last year. Is what you mention part of that?

I can't believe, with all the millions Panoz has put in autoracing, that he would put the track at risk by not buying the property himself, or influence the development.

Is the 'they' you mention track managment?

Quick Reply: Save Road Atlanta!