Save Road Atlanta!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 04:24 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Kurt,
Heartland Park Topeka is a great example of people thinking ahead. Built next to an air force base - lets see someone try to complain the government needs to put mufflers on F-15's.
Hacker can you say Arizona Motorsports Park?

It was built right off the end of the runway of Luke AFB, only the largest F-16 training base in the county. Yet got closed down a year and after after the opened due to Noise. That was after the county approved them as a "great used of land near the AFB" 3 years earlier. Don't even get me started on that one.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything can change. I spent 24 years in the Tenn Army National Guard. Our airport in Smyrna, Tn was an Air Force Base as far back as I can remember. Army helicopters moved there in the late 60's. But in the 90's people that had moved there complained about us flying over their houses. We had to change our flight pattern to suit them.

About Road Atlanta. There is (or was) and ADF just off the Bridge Turn. It was kind of primitive but you could shoot an ADF instrument approach to the back straight, and I have heard the Wittingtons did it when they owned the place. Why do you supose they were landing at Road Atlanta in the middle of the night ? But they just owned the place, they had nothing to do with building it.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
Old 06-09-2006, 04:51 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone been to Bridge Hampton lately? Another one might bite the dust.............
Old 06-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmorris3
Nice.
re: "legal drug money"

For those who don't know, Don Panoz made his fortune in the pharmaceutical industry. The best friend of a good friend of mine is head of engineering at Panoz road cars (where I got a really cool behind the scenes tour). They joke around about how Road Atlanta was purchased and funded with drug money once again.

No defamation is/was intended.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Dr. Panoz I believe invented the transdermal patch.

George and it came out quite funny (and accurate).
Old 06-09-2006, 06:42 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Yes he did, he also smokes like a chimney. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I just find it a bit funny.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez

George and it came out quite funny (and accurate).
Did he invent it or someone in his pharmaceutical company. I don't think he is a doctor, but a very bright entrepreneur.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:42 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Don Panoz was a pharmacist in Ohio when he came up with the idea of transdermal nicotine patch delivery system. He patented the idea, moved to Ireland and started up Mylan Pharmaceuticals, which he later sold for $150-200 million.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Originally Posted by RXDOC
Don Panoz was a pharmacist in Ohio when he came up with the idea of transdermal nicotine patch delivery system. He patented the idea, moved to Ireland and started up Mylan Pharmaceuticals, which he later sold for $150-200 million.
"After he was discharged, Panoz used his car-trading profits to buy a drug store in Pittsburgh. He enrolled in the Duquesne University pharmacy school but got so busy running the store and starting a family that he quit when one of his credits was disallowed.

"I said to hell with it, I'll just hire a pharmacist," he says.

Panoz never finished college, although he continued to study pharmacy on his own. Not having a degree didn't seem to hamper him. In 1960, he talked several members of the Pittsburgh Pirates into investing their World Series bonus checks in a pharmaceutical company he wanted to launch in West Virginia. His partner was an old Army buddy, Milan Puskar, who's still chairman of the firm they began, Mylan Laboratories."

Now, for the rest of the story.

Quick Reply: Save Road Atlanta!