Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Suit Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 05:36 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Driver Suit Question...

I've noticed that most of the top brands - Sparco, Puma, Alpine Stars, Stand 21, etc - have a very lightweight suit that cost anywhere between $1,100 - $1,400.

Now, there are a lot of really nice suits from the same manufacturers in the $800 range (ex: Sparco 5). Here's my question and it's mainly for the drivers out there who have gone from this $800 suit to a lightweight one:

Is the extra expense between these two types of suits worth it? In this case that amount is between $300 - $600.

I will most likely be looking into getting another suit later in the year and I've seen some really nice lightweight suits, but I wanted to know if these were worth the extra cost. Thanks in advance, everyone.

Rich
Old 06-02-2006, 07:15 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out www.leafracewear.com
Call Paul Latella at +1 (800) 731-7735 tell him I sent you please!!

The Z Pro Euro Nomex Suit, has all the newest and best hi-tech fabrics, it's best suit I have ever had!! Starts at $625, Figure to spend 750-850 by the time you custom tailor get options and pick a sharp design.

Yes this is a plug!! they have sponsored me with safety equipment for the last 7 years.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill935K3
Check out www.leafracewear.com
Call Paul Latella at +1 (800) 731-7735 tell him I sent you please!!

The Z Pro Euro Nomex Suit, has all the newest and best hi-tech fabrics, it's best suit I have ever had!! Starts at $625, Figure to spend 750-850 by the time you custom tailor get options and pick a sharp design.

Yes this is a plug!! they have sponsored me with safety equipment for the last 7 years.
Bill, you may want to post your full name if you want people to drop it with Leaf.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:54 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO it is about comfort and safety. The lighter weight, more expensive suits are much more comfortable and cooler than the less expensive heavier suits. Overheating while wearing a thick heavy non breathing cheap suit will cause a distinct lack of concentration, not something you want to have while driving at speed.
Even though I am only doing DE and track member days, spending the extra money on the Sparco Xlite was one of the best decisions I have made. The extra few hundred dollars spread over the life of the suit makes the extra comfort and safety a bargain.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:01 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It is also my understanding that the lightweight more expensive suites are not as durable and you have to be more careful with them. Instead of tieing the arms around your waiste betwen sessions, it is recommended to keep the suite on or take it off. Just what i have been told.

-Skip
Old 06-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Has anyone tried the new (to the US anyway) Sabelt suits? They are available from Northstar Motorsports. Their top of the line suit appears to be comparable to the top Sparco and OMP suits but they are significantly cheaper.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:42 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

The lightweight suits may be less durable, it makes sense, as the materials are certainly MUCH lighter. However, they are cooler, and I have found myself comfortable in my suit while others around me are jumping out of their heavier suits as quickly as possible.

I tried on the Sabelt suit and it was very nice, quite light, and excellent quality. The fit was just a bit too slim for me, so I purchased the Sparco with the slightly fuller cut. I would have purchased Sablet if the fit had worked better for me. It is certainly comparable to the lightest Sparco Xlite IMO.

I suggest you try on the very lightweight high end suits, and the heavier less expensive suit back to back. I think you may arrive at the same decision I did.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I certainly do like the look of the lighter ones and I currently have my eye on the Puma Light Cat.

Rich
Old 06-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cory M
Has anyone tried the new (to the US anyway) Sabelt suits? They are available from Northstar Motorsports. Their top of the line suit appears to be comparable to the top Sparco and OMP suits but they are significantly cheaper.
Cory,

Thanks for the tip on Sabelt. I went to their website, but noticed that their top of line suit is $1,350 so it seems to be in line with the rest. Btw, this suit looks pretty darn good!

Rich
Old 06-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Hi Rich,

As Skip mentioned, the Sparco X-Lites aren't meant to be tied around your waist. Dave Parker at OG Racing said to treat it as a fine suit and take it off as soon as you've finished your run. Supposedly, the inner lining is very fragile. Because of this, I opted for the Sparco Top 5, a suit almost as light as the X-Lite but more durable for my lazy a**.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:41 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

The Sabelt model suit I tried on was $800 from Northstar. Is is very comparable to my Sparco Xlite, and I think a real bargain at that price.

I treat my Sparco carefully, as I would any piece of clothing I paid over $1000 for, however it doesn't appear or feel fragile.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Hi Rich,

As Skip mentioned, the Sparco X-Lites aren't meant to be tied around your waist. Dave Parker at OG Racing said to treat it as a fine suit and take it off as soon as you've finished your run. Supposedly, the inner lining is very fragile. Because of this, I opted for the Sparco Top 5, a suit almost as light as the X-Lite but more durable for my lazy a**.
Hey, Mark!

Good insight - thanks. When is your next race/event?

Rich
Old 06-03-2006, 03:23 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I was refering to the Sabelt "Speedy", $800 at Northstar, I like the grey color too:

http://www.northstarmotorsports.com/...productID/7772
Old 06-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Hi Rich,

I have a few DE's with Potomac at Summit lined up in July and August. First club race will be Summit and then CMP. I wish I could do more events events in the spring/early summer but this is my very busy season with work, other personal travel obligations limiting my time, too.

I've been very happy with the Top 5.

Good luck, Rich.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:02 PM
sww914
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these new suits cool enough to not require a coolsuit where the older models would?
If so, one could factor in the extra money that would have been spent on a cooling system and the suit wouldn't look too expensive at all.

Quick Reply: Driver Suit Question...