Nitrogen at Watkins Glen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 11:42 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Nitrogen at Watkins Glen?

OK, I realize I should have dealt with this a while back.
My Moton Clubsport shocks need some nitrogen and I don't have a bottle.
Would it be likely that nitrogen would be available at a track like WGI? How about other drivers (who would have the same problem I would but are smart enough to have bought a bottle earlier)?
I'm learning this new car but have a ways to go...
TIA
Old 05-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I imagine you can find somebody with a bottle at the track. I carry a bottle to fill my tires and run my air tools and a couple of my buddies do also. You're welcome to come by and fill up if you want as long as you have whatever attachment is needed - my guess is a Schrader value, but I don't have the shocks so don't know.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:46 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering what nitrogen does for your tires? I saw this on a RIDES show where they put nitrogen in the Carrera GTs tires. Any thoughts?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:57 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With Nitrogen you just don't get as big of fluctuation in your tire pressures, especially on the track.

So if you have a target pressure of 40, you can start closer to that value of 40 because the nitrogen won't expand as much as air from an air compressor because there is less moisture. Of course, this also means that the inside of your existing tire must be as moisture free as possible.

Basically, it boils down to ease of use. Its easy to carry a Nitrogen bottle to the track and get tons of use out of it.

Brian
Old 05-03-2006, 01:25 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Rick, your club sports fill with a Shrader valve through your inflator. Anyone near you at the track w/ an air chuck on their bottle will become your best friend... (look for a Cup car w/ air jacks as they're likely using nitrogen)

Be sure to set the regulator around 300 psi or under to keep from getting too much pressure into your canisters and causing damage.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ummm, you need a special tool to inflate the shock canisters. They take such little volume, you cannot fill them directly with an air chuck.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
I was wondering what nitrogen does for your tires? I saw this on a RIDES show where they put nitrogen in the Carrera GTs tires. Any thoughts?
In addition to what Brian said (I also carry a nitrogen bottle in my trailer for my Cup car air jacks and filling my son's kart tires), with the (mandatory) introduction of TPMS in passenger vehicles, nitrogen will be more common due to the lower moisture content (moisture can cause problems with OEM electronics design)
Old 05-03-2006, 03:50 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Ummm, you need a special tool to inflate the shock canisters. They take such little volume, you cannot fill them directly with an air chuck.
You could, but w/ the huge flow you'd get from the bottle and the small volume of the canister, there'd be a real risk of over-inflating unless you have an accurate regulator on the bottle. The good inflation tools (if I remember correctly) have a valve that you can crack to allow nitro to slowly enter the canister.

That coupled w/ the pressure gauge on the tool staring you in the face should reduce the chance of over-pressurizing the canister.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:38 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for all of the good advice and thanks to Bill Pfister of Eurotech in Framingham, MA; I am all set with a new bottle of nitrogen, a good quality regulator, and the knowledge of how to use it. I had never dealt with Bill before but knew he was top notch; he actually went out and picked up the bottle and regulator so it was at his shop when I arrived. Nice guy with cool cars, too.
So, I am all set (until I find something else this car needs, like a knowledgeable owner).

Quick Reply: Nitrogen at Watkins Glen?