Sponsored by:

Kimi's a Ferrari man in 2007.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Kimi's a Ferrari man in 2007.

We've all heard the rumors forever but finally I can say it is true. I have this source in Finland which has been pretty much 100% in the past when it comes to Finnish Formula 1 news and I trust them with this one too:

I'm happy to say announce Kimi will be driving for Ferrari in 2007!

No # 1 or # 2 driver treatment regardless who's another driver so Schumi's treatment (if he will continue there) is coming to an end. Schumi might or might not continue in Ferrari though but Kimi is there regardless.

Ferrari will announce this officially late May or Early June (I'm guessing Monaco GP).
Old 04-13-2006, 02:49 PM
hrk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope not.

hrk, another Finn
Old 04-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hrk
Hope not.

hrk, another Finn
Terve hrk,

He will and I personally like it. Ferrari is such an motorsport icon so now I have a reason for trully cheer them! With M.S. there I just couldn't do it...
Old 04-13-2006, 03:07 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Ferrari should count their blessings to land this kid. He is truely an awsome talent as we all have said in numeros threads.

ONLY CONCERN for Kimi, will Ferrari have the car, and the crew to be competative to put him on top.

This is the only wild card we don't know.

Theo
Old 04-13-2006, 03:38 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got very mixed feelings about this move.

Its terrific that Ferrari have acknowledged Kimi's obvious talent. Their mind set is to secure the best driver in F1, and choosing Kimi is a great strategy.

Like others, I'm not sure that Scuderia Ferrari is the all-conquering force that it was a few years ago. Its more than driving talent, obviously. Their development program and team operation appears to be going a little stale. No surprise there, given that they had several years of being in front of the pack in almost every aspect. I just hope that Kimi is not arriving just as the party is ending. That would be a criminal waste of his talent.

On balance, I'd rather see him join the team that becomes the new powerhouse of F1. Which team? I wish I knew.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Z-man
Race Director

I hope this information is not true, for the sake of the Mercedes/McLaren camp. IMHO, Montoya doesn't have what it takes...
Old 04-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APKhaos
I've got very mixed feelings about this move.

Its terrific that Ferrari have acknowledged Kimi's obvious talent. Their mind set is to secure the best driver in F1, and choosing Kimi is a great strategy.

Like others, I'm not sure that Scuderia Ferrari is the all-conquering force that it was a few years ago. Its more than driving talent, obviously. Their development program and team operation appears to be going a little stale. No surprise there, given that they had several years of being in front of the pack in almost every aspect. I just hope that Kimi is not arriving just as the party is ending. That would be a criminal waste of his talent.

On balance, I'd rather see him join the team that becomes the new powerhouse of F1. Which team? I wish I knew.
I've also got similar feeling about this as you do. Ad as you said, Ferrari's succes is not all about Michael as some people often seem to think.

But I'm confident Ferrari will be pretty good since Todt, Byrne and Brawn all have their contract renewed for 2007 (and beyone I believe?) and once one tyre manufacturer rule comes into play, IMO that will level the playing field as far as tyres go (biggest reason IMO why Ferrari was so "bad" last year).

I hope they give Kimi a good enough and reliable car!
Old 04-13-2006, 04:16 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

If true, it will be fun to see someone racing against MS on an equal footing. Ferrari has the $$$ Bucks $$$ to remain competitive... but I don't think they are likely to dominate, like they did in the past few years.

McLaren should be in good hands with Fernando...

No one seems to know where JPM's going to land... Red Bull, maybe ?
Old 04-13-2006, 04:37 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I don't know about anyone else but Kimi has the worst luck I've ever seen. I mean it's like he made a deal with the devil to become the best driver ever and the devil, to be a smarta$$, is messing with his cars!!!
Old 04-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Geo
Race Director

I'm a little worried for Kimi. I think he has the goods. I think Ferrari is on the downhill side of playing King of the Hill.

I think the next team to truly emerge a front runner will be Red Bull. They have everything it takes except driver and that is the easy part. They have money in spades and they have Adrian Newey. Soon drivers will be begging to drive for them.

I doubt JPM will end up at Red Bull. Rumor has it they are quite happy with DC and are looking for a young talent to develop into a winner. Klien has apparently been told to get up to speed with DC. However, rumor also has it he's pretty much done with them. I'd imagine they would give one of the STR drivers before spending big cash on another driver. However, when they have the whole package together, if they haven't found the heir apparent, all bets are off. Remember, they have more money than God.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:25 PM
sonny1
Banned

Somehow he doesn't mix with the Ferrari aurea, don't think the Italianos will like it!! personally I don't like Kimi whatsoever., cheers,Sonny.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:49 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by sonny1
Somehow he doesn't mix with the Ferrari aurea, don't think the Italianos will like it!! personally I don't like Kimi whatsoever., cheers,Sonny.
Sadly, personality is a handicap in a F1 driver these days. How many of the great drivers of the past would have pulled into the pits at Indianapolis?
I really dislike it when I have to go to a F1 weekend, by contrast, I love going to Le Mans or one of the ALMS races.

R+C
Old 04-14-2006, 09:06 AM
jim3
Instructor

Bill, you're probably too young to remember Dan Gurney who was probably the all time leader of dropping out while in the top three (although Stirling Moss would be in the same class). Imagine at the 1966 Sebring 12 hour in a Ford GT MK II passing the start finish line at 9:59:30pm (race ended at 10PM) while in a big lead but not over a lap and have the timing chain break and roll to a stop 200 yards from the finish on his last lap. He asked the corner worker if he could push it in, which he did, and was promptly disqualified losing 2nd place. Oh, did I mention he qualified on the pole but when he sprinted across the track and jumped in the car it wouldn't start and he got a way last.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
I really dislike it when I have to go to a F1 weekend...
R+C
Yeah, it sucks when you HAVE to go to a F1 weekend. You have it tough buddy. Let me know and I'll fill in for you.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Larry
The expression 'carrying the money bag', is a mere figure of speech, it actually has to be opened up and the spondulicks distributed..... if you would like to take that over as well, I'll shout you a berniepass and an intro to some of the pit babes as well!

R+C

Quick Reply: Kimi's a Ferrari man in 2007.