Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New instructor, reporting for duty!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 08:45 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a student, the best thing that my early instructors did for me is to impress upon me a respect for the "sport" of driving, which I think is particularly useful for people like me who play other sports. It made me think about the activity differently. Among other things, it helped me to understand that you ultimately will be a better driver (i.e., faster and more in control) if you take the time to learn the fundamentals well, even if that means you must slow down at the beginning. So, it is not about driving slowly for the sake of slowing down or not scaring your instructor, but rather for the sake of learning the fundamentals correctly. You know, learn to walk before you run kinda thing . . .
Old 04-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Good luck and be sure to bring us back lots of stories as time goes on, we all need a good chuckle from time to time
Here's one already -- I thought I left my chatter box on all night long. Couldn't get it to work no matter how much I played with the volume and on/off switch.

Finally, Apexrex pointed out to me that in my feeble attempt to turn on the device, I had moved the INT/AUX switch over to the AUX side.

D'oh! Gotta love technology!

-Z.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:04 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on joining the instructor rank. I have been doing it for 12 or so years, and love it. OK stories, we have all had the driver who when you got out of the car you just wanted to kiss the ground. But I had a middle age woman one time with a HUGE chest. We were in an older poor suspension 911. Well every bump in the road and those things just bounced up and down. And I don't mean the car. It was so bad that it kept almost knocking her hands off the wheel in the turns. She was also just having trouble getting her hand on the wheel to turn the cars as they were restricting her arm movement. Not much you can say to a student here to help in these situations...
Old 04-11-2006, 10:19 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Z, Congratulations!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 11:17 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Z - Congrats. You are going to learn a lot more than you have so far as you figure out how to explain driving on the track.

The crash speech is DJ's. Here is mine:

"Don't try to impress me - you can't.
Don't try to scare me - I already am."
Old 04-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Congratulations and a BIG THANK YOU from those you have touched and have yet to be instructed.. I can only reiterate your sentiments on the subject. I have recently progressed beyond the ranks of "intructed" but I will continue to enlist the aid of those more knowledgeable than me (Everyone?) . I owe a SPECIAL thanks to my original instructer - Barry S. of CVR.. he had the patience to send me on the journey i'm on now...And to instill in me the brains to know enough to tap on the shoulders of the other instuctors/racers that know a LOT more than I about the tracks I have yet to see and LEARN from them .

I can only hope that someday I am deemed to have the ability to enter the ranks... until that day I salute you! (Not that I won't respect you AFTER that!.. )

Last edited by Gary R.; 04-12-2006 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:37 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
But I had a middle age woman one time with a HUGE chest. We were in an older poor suspension 911. Well every bump in the road and those things just bounced up and down. And I don't mean the car. It was so bad that it kept almost knocking her hands off the wheel in the turns. She was also just having trouble getting her hand on the wheel to turn the cars as they were restricting her arm movement. Not much you can say to a student here to help in these situations...
"You have two problems that I'd be more than happy to help you handle"

Old 04-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

When I started instructing an experienced instructor told me his rules for students which I will share with you:
1. You are in control of the car, I am in command
2. Dont scare the instructor
3. Dont violate rule #2
Congrats and have fun.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Z congrats - See in you in the Red Run Group this weekend. Always remember, if you ever have any questions be sure and ask a fellow instructor we are always happy to help one another out.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:44 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Congrats on joining the instructor rank. I have been doing it for 12 or so years, and love it. OK stories, we have all had the driver who when you got out of the car you just wanted to kiss the ground. But I had a middle age woman one time with a HUGE chest. We were in an older poor suspension 911. Well every bump in the road and those things just bounced up and down. And I don't mean the car. It was so bad that it kept almost knocking her hands off the wheel in the turns. She was also just having trouble getting her hand on the wheel to turn the cars as they were restricting her arm movement. Not much you can say to a student here to help in these situations...
"Here, Let me hold those for you."

If you instruct long enough you will have a well rounded cross section of students and stories. You have learned enough to teach and will learn plenty more just teaching. I think the key to being a good instructor is being able to read your student and comunicate back and forth in the way that works best for them. Good luck and Be safe, Have fun, Learn something, goes for instructors too.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bob, next time use "Frank Contanza's move"!
Old 04-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Driver8
Z congrats - See in you in the Red Run Group this weekend. Always remember, if you ever have any questions be sure and ask a fellow instructor we are always happy to help one another out.
Thanks - that's what makes this whole thing work - everyone's willingness to help out... Maybe I'll catch a ride with you this weekend - I always take away something new from Lime Rock everytime I go there - maybe you can show me a trick or two!

-Z.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:27 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Kudos Z-man. The best line I had an instructor tell me before pit out was " If you kill me, I am really going to be pissed".
Old 04-12-2006, 06:46 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats Z-man! Just be wary of those evil students who've been soiled by their previous AX experience. I'm right behind you, doing my training this spring. (and congrats to you too Jack!)
Old 04-13-2006, 12:13 AM
j_leder
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Congradulations Z!
Your in for the time of your life. Have fun, make it fun for your student, it will be fun for you. "Don't try to impress me - you can't.
Don't try to scare me - I already am." Very wise words I use this all the time.

Quick Reply: New instructor, reporting for duty!