Sponsored by:

Hour meter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 10:16 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Hour meter?

anyone using an hour meter for their race car? if so, what type is recommended.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:19 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We got a cheap one from O'Reilly's and it works fine. We wired ours in so that when the key is on it runs but it would have been better to find a circut that is only hot when the key is in the run position that way you have true hours.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am installing a standard clock wired so it only runs when the ignition is on.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a digital one and wired it to the fuel pump relay so it is running only when the engine is running.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We go one step further and hook it up to an rpm activated module (typically used for shift lights) so that we get only on-track time (time over a specified rpm, typically 3-4000.)
Warm-up/idle time can really bump up the clock without actually putting any wear on the engine.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:40 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

i like that idea Adam...how is the wiring done? what brand of meter do you recommend? thanks all!
Old 03-26-2006, 01:57 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to install????

Originally Posted by Adam@Autometrics
We go one step further and hook it up to an rpm activated module (typically used for shift lights) so that we get only on-track time (time over a specified rpm, typically 3-4000.)
Warm-up/idle time can really bump up the clock without actually putting any wear on the engine.
Adam,
Can you explain how you do it and what meter you use?
THX
JM
Old 03-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

We typically use an Autometer rpm activated module with a 3000 rpm pill.
It installs just like a shift light, but you hook up the hourmeter instead of the light. I believe we are also using Autometer hourmeters.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:49 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

The cool one to get would be an aircraft "tach timer" - it gives you equivalent hours at a certain RPM. You set a "base" speed, say 3000 RPM, and it records 1:1 at that speed, and proportionally faster at higher RPM.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:18 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

some tractors use the aircraft style hour meter as well...i have a John Deere with a VDO hour meter...records "hours at 1850 RPM".... that might be the ticket!!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:32 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm a little ignorant. What do you do with this data? For certain motors is there data that says: 1000 hrs. 10% horsepower drops off
2000hrs 20% drops off or something like that? I never did know when it was worth it to refresh a motor unless it blew up then it was pretty obvious. I would think you would get compression leak down numbers after break in then look for a certain percentage of increased leakdown before you rebuild.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:51 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Autometrics
We typically use an Autometer rpm activated module with a 3000 rpm pill.
It installs just like a shift light, but you hook up the hourmeter instead of the light. I believe we are also using Autometer hourmeters.
Thanks Adam, any idea of where they can be bought (I've moved to England so need to order over the net...)
JM
Old 03-29-2006, 07:33 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I'm a little ignorant. What do you do with this data? For certain motors is there data that says: 1000 hrs. 10% horsepower drops off
2000hrs 20% drops off or something like that? I never did know when it was worth it to refresh a motor unless it blew up then it was pretty obvious. I would think you would get compression leak down numbers after break in then look for a certain percentage of increased leakdown before you rebuild.
Most high strung race motors have a life spec. If you go beyond that, you risk catastrophic failure, but you may not see any leakdown change prior to that point.

If you have a 30 hour motor, then you best freshen it at that point or the bill can get really big.

BTW - The more sophisiticated 'hour meters' are done in data aq. MoTeC, for example, generates a hisogram so you can see how much time in various rpm ranges. You could see how many hours over 5,000 rpm instead of just hours. And how many hours over 11,000 rpm too.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:56 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Most high strung race motors have a life spec. If you go beyond that, you risk catastrophic failure, but you may not see any leakdown change prior to that point.

If you have a 30 hour motor, then you best freshen it at that point or the bill can get really big.
Interesting, How do engine builders determine hour life? Do they just build a bunch of V8's and test until destruction to get data? It seems that with the new F1 V-8 they need more testing....
Old 03-30-2006, 09:52 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Interesting, How do engine builders determine hour life? Do they just build a bunch of V8's and test until destruction to get data? It seems that with the new F1 V-8 they need more testing....
At the high end, like F1, clearly they have the resources to test and test and they are always dealing with new designs. I suspect for amateur motors, it is some testing, some trial and error in the field (we are the test drivers) and shared knowledge.

I think you are right on target about the new F1 motors needing a little more testing.

Quick Reply: Hour meter?