Sponsored by:

DE Instructing & liability

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Yes sir. BS/MS in computer engineering, followed by law school here. Hopefully luck won't be required. We are probably in the same PCA (suncoast) and have run into one another in the past. I have been unable to do as many DEs at Sebring because of school and inability to keep my 951 up to snuff. My pops does them with me too (89 930(red) and 04 cobra mustang(white)) Also, my suspension is boring now and I need a lot of upgrades to get the car into shape to go 44cup series racing when I get out of the joint.

Richard Posner: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/faculty/posner-r/ Frankly, I think I am a huge dork for actually knowing quite a bit about this.

For the record, it is difficult to be complete informed viz tort liability until you have really looked at the entire issue. My opinions on PI attorneys have definately changed since starting school and being exposed to the material and actually being educated on the subject. There is a lot of value from not assuming anybody that is part of your same species is a complete jerk. Thinking of issues from all sides generally yields that it isn't as screwed up as you think it is.

However, I have always thought in this way. I just don't make conclusions on subjects until I have had an adequate opportunity to really investigate all the information.

Also, when I told my parents (father dentist and all friends doctors) I was going to go to law school, I had to explain to them exactly what I was going to do. The resistance on their end has definately changed now that their son is going to be a lawyer. We aren't all evil after all, I promise.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:40 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
We aren't all evil after all, I promise.
I have no doubt of that. After all, lawyers don't sue, their clients do. Whether its easy to sue or not, its the smell of big fat settlements that drive clients to sue in the first place. I have no problem with people suing in the face of complete incompetence, true negligence or fraud, and certainly if one was involved in an accident that was truly life changing like becoming paralyzed for life or losing a limb, I can see a desire for compensation, but in many situations, I suspect some folks are simply out for easy money and while some lawyers might not be turning away questionable suits, the problem initiates with the greed of the client.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

rjay, I think that is very valid. However, but for (using tort language) the existence of an sometimes near predatory advertising practices of PI attorneys (particularly in Florida) there would be no mechanism to exercise greed. Every jurisdiction has elaborate rule of professional conduct about advertising. See http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBLaw...8?OpenDocument There are all sorts of angles and really there are checks and balances all over the place. You can always unilaterally frame it however you would like, as I have done above.

I merely ask that individuals do as you have done and not make wholesale conclusions without being adequately informed. Everything in life has multiple angles. There is also another side to every story. Back to the Florida game.

Quick Reply: DE Instructing & liability