Sponsored by:

First HPDE with NASA

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 12:53 AM
svochuck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First HPDE with NASA

I just got home from my first event with NASA. IT WAS GREAT!!!!!

I have not had that much fun since I left south Texas (CBR PCA).

It was a safe event.
It was well run.
Passengers allowed.
It did not matter what you were driving.
The different kinds of cars were great to see. ... SC Mini vs Mystic Cobra vs EVO vs 944, 993, 912E ...

Lots of track time .
It was great!
chuck
Old 03-13-2006, 09:41 AM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

I am running NASA TimeTrials and HPDE this coming weekend at RoadAtlanta. If you check archives, you will find a very good thread on NASA/PCA events. All your points are well taken. Some not-so-good points on NASA: ANYONE can run in the SOLO groups! Passing anywhere on the track, makes for some exciting moments. A very relaxed group of people, maybe too relaxed.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:55 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

have been racing and instructing with NASA Ohio/Indiana for 2 years now...they are a terrific group of car people...kinda net to see and drive with other makes and models...
Old 03-13-2006, 12:12 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RXDOC
Passing anywhere on the track, makes for some exciting moments. A very relaxed group of people, maybe too relaxed.
When you say "Passing anywhere on the track" does that mean passing without a point by the car being passed? I have no problem with passing anywhere as long as the car being passed gives a point, but if it is allowed without a point by, no thanks.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:19 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I have been running with NASA for a few years and don't like the new direction they are heading. In the highest run group, it is basically racing which will void my DE insurance. Even if I don't run in the HDPE 4 my insurance company will make me prove it since I am an instructor and am expected to run in that group.

I think passing anywhere is fine WITH a point by. Officially timing a DE run is a bad idea.

If you want to pass anywhere without a point by and want to be timed while on track, you should be racing.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsabatini
When you say "Passing anywhere on the track" does that mean passing without a point by the car being passed? I have no problem with passing anywhere as long as the car being passed gives a point, but if it is allowed without a point by, no thanks.
I'm sure it varies by Region but this weekend there were passing zones on the track. The higher run groups had more latitude on where they could pass. Point by's were not required but common sense prevailed and I didn't see anybody being foolish. The instructors and director of the event seemed to be very on top of things.

Been there done that on the reckless track days and it sounds like you have too. I said "no thanks" to one after 2 laps because it was so out of control. The physics on 3000lbs @ 100MPH gets ugly in a hurry.

It was a fun time. We just need more tracks in Colorado.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:57 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

in HPDE 4 in our region it is basically a race practice and Time Trials...passing is open. HPDE 3 would be closer to the highest run group at a PCA DE...i have seen more incidents at PCA DE's than i have at NASA events for what it's worth. Both NASA and the PCA regions i have attended have run excellent events. it's just that they are different in their focus.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:18 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

In the Southeast Region:
HPDE3 is pass anywhere WITH point-by.
HPDE4 is pass anywhere WITHOUT point-by.

And yes, running in group 4 does void any DE or regular insurance because of Timing devices. HPDE4 has TT's, instructors, and "race practice" drivers all in one session.
Come to think of it HPDE3 can rent lap timers too.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Originally Posted by RXDOC
I am running NASA TimeTrials and HPDE this coming weekend at RoadAtlanta.
RXDOC, what TT group are you running in? I'm the guy in the red Z06 that was at Road Atlanta. I ran in the same group (3? or 4?) with you and the other black P-car last year, I don't remember if it was March or August. I'm running the TT, also.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:42 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bigpinekey
RXDOC, what TT group are you running in? I'm the guy in the red Z06 that was at Road Atlanta. I ran in the same group (3? or 4?) with you and the other black P-car last year, I don't remember if it was March or August. I'm running the TT, also.
Yes, I remember you. It was August. You were the only car to BLAST past me that weekend. You were running slicks, I think (well I hope so). I run street tires. I am going to be in HPDE3.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Yea, I run 710's.

I didn't blast past you, I had to work my azz off to get around you.

BTW, super car you got there, very nice.

I'll see you there. Be safe.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:48 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bigpinekey
Yea, I run 710's.

I didn't blast past you, I had to work my azz off to get around you.

BTW, super car you got there, very nice.

I'll see you there. Be safe.
Yes, my car has alot of good upgrades. It only needs one other upgrade for the track......and that is a driver upgrade!

See you this weekend, it should be nice (weather).
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2006, 08:37 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll look for you RXDoc. I'll be there in my 930 running the Sprint races.

I'll keep an eye out for you.

Brian
Old 03-13-2006, 09:31 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
I'll look for you RXDoc. I'll be there in my 930 running the Sprint races.

I'll keep an eye out for you.

Brian

Brian:
I have seen you race, watched your race videos. I am a big fan of the 930's. I will stop by and say hi.
Be safe!
Old 03-14-2006, 09:07 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Passing without signals is perfectly fine so long as everyone is courteous, which most advanced drivers are.

Quick Reply: First HPDE with NASA