First HPDE with NASA

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 03:44 PM
nasa-rm
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin
So here's some news everyone can enjoy,

We're working right now on a pilot program to get the Time Trial (TT) drivers their own 20minute session in the afternoons of NASA weekends.

We tried this for the first time at Thunderhill last weekend and it worked great! TT practiced in 4 for the first three sessions and ran the time in their own afternoon 20min session. It fit in well with the combined NASA sanctioned race and DE weekend. We even had separate run groups for a Porsche club, the schedule worked out great and was punctual. Austin
You are correct Austin. It does work great. This is what we do in the Rocky Mountain NASA region (where Mr. SVOChuck had such a good time )

The problem is... we provided so much track time, we only had 20% of the TT folks stick around to do the extra session at the end of the day on Saturday!!!! Apparently they were too tired (or they wanted to be first in line for beer)!
Old 03-27-2006, 09:51 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
I have been running with NASA for a few years and don't like the new direction they are heading. In the highest run group, it is basically racing which will void my DE insurance. Even if I don't run in the HDPE 4 my insurance company will make me prove it since I am an instructor and am expected to run in that group.

I think passing anywhere is fine WITH a point by. Officially timing a DE run is a bad idea.

If you want to pass anywhere without a point by and want to be timed while on track, you should be racing.
Slightly OT.

I am interested in getting information on "DE insurance." Can you tell me where you got your coverage?

In the 15 years I've been doing DEs, last year was the first time I had an OTE that caused damage (ended up against a tire barrier at Laguna Seca's Corkscrew), which required me to claim it under my standard auto insurance policy. I'd like to avoid that if it happens again.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2006, 09:57 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Slightly OT.

I am interested in getting information on "DE insurance." Can you tell me where you got your coverage?

In the 15 years I've been doing DEs, last year was the first time I had an OTE that caused damage (ended up against a tire barrier at Laguna Seca's Corkscrew), which required me to claim it under my standard auto insurance policy. I'd like to avoid that if it happens again.

Thanks

i use american collectors insurance.

it covers an agreed upon amount and the premium is 1.5% of that amount. deductible is high, 20% but i believe it is standard for track insurance. i think it's woth it if you total your car but not for minor fender benders.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:37 AM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Default NASA Epilogue

I just finished a weeken with NASA at RoadAtlanta.
Positives: Jim & Julie Pantas (NASA SE) work very hard to run a fun DE. The open passing anywhere is challanging and fun. The race groups add another dimension to the weekend activities.
Negatives: NASA folks are way to relaxed when it comes to run groups and regulations. The run groups were huge: HPDE4 was 45+ cars, HPDE3 was 35+ cars. I chose to run HPDE3 to avoid the "race practice" and TT group, but they allowed TT's into our group. My rear bumper was almost removed by a "race practice" Acura, who didn't get a pass signal quick enough going down through the esses! This guy was in full race mode, on slicks (me on street tires), trying to get some time in before his race!
I am coming down the back straight at about 140+ MPH and I see a Ford Explorer trying to negotiate 10A-B!!! Yes a FORD EXPLORER in our run group. Well, he saw me closing in, and had the good sense to drive straight OFF the track! There was another mini-SUV (pontiac, maybe) doing TT's!!!!
Overall, a good weekend!

Quick Reply: First HPDE with NASA