Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why doesn't PCA require weight add-ons to level the playing field?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 04:36 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How could they (practically speaking) determine what the weight penalties/advantages be?

Should it be based solely upon power to weight? Probably not because as discussed there's more to a lap time than power to weight. Therefore it would require testing of each platform by a baseline driver to determine how fast one platform is compared to another. A volunteer organization with enthusiasts (not pros) driving cannot pull this off.

They could perhaps do something like Speed channel series and add/reduce weight based on results...but PCA racing doesn't have the consistent driver pool that a series like that has...unless the car carries the benefit/penalty not the driver. So if a an SC wins a G-class race and is deemed to fast all SC's in G get the penalty to be applied before the next race on the schedule.

I am not backing up PCA by any means but just shooting holes so if there's a practical solutions then maybe it can be proposed.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:50 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I picked the wrong time and place to race my 993............

Ok, I've only completed one race with the PCA (started a second but my tranny froze). My car was not uncompetitive (wow, I used a double negative). Yes, the RSA's pulled me on the straights. Yes, some more than they should, but that's a different complaint altogether. I did not feel like they had a significant advantage. I guess I’ll tell you how I really feel at the end of the year.

My car is setup for PCA D but will do some local NASA events when the schedules don’t conflict. BTW, I see issues with the NASA rules also. Pretty much everything is free, all that matters is lbs/hp. I can see a lot of cash being dropped all over the place to be right at the cusp of each class.

George
Old 01-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
Greg,
If I make it to Putnam this year you should come and do the enduro. We'll go RSA hunting.
You just let me know and I will be there, new tires in hand I may eat my words but I think your car is a tough one to beat in that class.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:59 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure NASA is a good place for a 993. I don't think you would want to add enough weight to run in GT2 and GT3 appears to be where you will find the PCA C cars and, I assume, very fast M3s.

FWIW, a friend of mine won the enduro at Road America last fall in a 993. It's not like they are slow.
Jim
Old 01-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by chrisp
How could they (practically speaking) determine what the weight penalties/advantages be?
PCA doesn't, it is based on the weight in the "book" and the hp in the "book". The book being which ever offical Porsche manual or material PCA uses.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:01 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I may eat my words but I think your car is a tough one to beat in that class.
And here I thought it was the driver!
Old 01-09-2006, 05:06 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JimB
I'm not sure NASA is a good place for a 993. I don't think you would want to add enough weight to run in GT2 and GT3 appears to be where you will find the PCA C cars and, I assume, very fast M3s.

FWIW, a friend of mine won the enduro at Road America last fall in a 993. It's not like they are slow.
Jim
Well, the one advantage I have is that I can stay in GT3 and run slicks. I'm not sure if the C cars can.

Was the 993 in D or C? All of the local 993's run in C, except for me.

George
Old 01-09-2006, 05:19 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg, wasn't the original question about introducing weight penalties to slow down the cars that have a clear advantage? I was responding to that.

I know PCA currently uses factory weights and hp ratings.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:20 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
Well, the one advantage I have is that I can stay in GT3 and run slicks. I'm not sure if the C cars can.

Was the 993 in D or C? All of the local 993's run in C, except for me.

George
Good point. If my math is right, you should be able to run slicks and take a few hundred pounds out. The RSCSs and RSAs should be able to run on slicks as well. Looks like I'm screwed. I need less HP!

He won the D enduro. C was won by an RSCS.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by chrisp
Greg, wasn't the original question about introducing weight penalties to slow down the cars that have a clear advantage? I was responding to that.

I know PCA currently uses factory weights and hp ratings.
Yes, I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

I am not sure how they would hand out weight penalties for the ringer cars. By bringing the cars to an equal weight/hp rating would be a start but talk about a can of worms...
Old 01-09-2006, 06:04 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Yes, I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

I am not sure how they would hand out weight penalties for the ringer cars. By bringing the cars to an equal weight/hp rating would be a start but talk about a can of worms...
What would be so difficult- do you mean the resistance of the current "ringer" cars to adding weight? Because technically it would be easy: just add a "weight penalty" column to the class list so that cars don't exceed X lb/hp. E.g. for D class, say 10.5 lb/hp. Cars below that (here, '91-'92 C2T) would be the only ones adding weight. The others can subtract weight as long as they're no better than 10.5 lb/hp.

Are there some practical aspects I'm overlooking?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:06 PM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, there are some practical aspects you are overlooking Eric.

Horsepower to weight does a great job of equalizing the same or very similar chassis. It'll do a horrible job equalizing a 996, a 964, a 951, and a 968, and soon a Caymen. The chassis of each of these cars is much too different for a rule that simplistic to work. PCA has a much larger data set than any of you are looking at in setting weights and classes for cars.

Simple answer is, if you prep your car to the absolute limit of the rules, whatever car that is and whatever class you chose. And if you can drive, you'll do great in PCA Club Racing. End of story.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:53 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Brian, I take it from your post up top and this one that you don't think there's anything wrong with the PCA's current classification system? Given what I'm reading here, I'm frankly amazed that anyone can find this system acceptable.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:09 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Are there some practical aspects I'm overlooking?
Yes. I would have to run 360lbs of ballast in order to be at 10.5...I'm not even sure where I would bolt all that. Also, a C2 Turbo has a really tall geared 5 speed...do I get to change to a short 6 speed to even it out? The 993 also has a superior rear suspension and better aero...how does that even out? Point is there is more to a cars potential than power/weight.

The largest variable is still the driver (DrJupeman won C class at the Glen this year in an "uncompetitive" 3.6T). Don't worry about your car, come racing and have fun.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
The largest variable is still the driver (DrJupeman won C class at the Glen this year in an "uncompetitive" 3.6T). Don't worry about your car, come racing and have fun.
Colin, the RSA is going to happen! I'm back!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't PCA require weight add-ons to level the playing field?