Sponsored by:

VIR Lap Description/Walk-Through

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 06:58 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default VIR Lap Description/Walk-Through

One of the New Year's resolutions I am pretty sure to keep, along with the several I will probably not, is to drive VIR for the first time. There is an interesting description of a lap HERE , and I'd appreciate any comments you might have on it based on your experience.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:33 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your best bet for VIR is a more visual reference. I have a dvd of the course and the VIR site has a pretty descriptive track walk with commentary. Remind me for the next Reisentoter meeting and I can dup a copy for you. If your looking at a DE event, alot of will attend the Mazda club VIR event early next year as a tune up for the cars and any mods. 8hours of driving to the track, but I feel it's worth it.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:00 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search of VIR VIDEO. I believe it is titled, "a lap at VIR in a cup car". It is Lee Keen's cup car and is some of the best quality I have seen. It was a great help in my first trip to one of my now favorite circuits. Why did you have to bring VIR up again, I just stopped dreaming about since the early Nov DE. Also there is a thread that was run in middle Nov. 05 from people who were quick and experienced. It was started by rennline rennlist, aka John Henjy (butchered his spelling of name)
Old 12-31-2005, 08:06 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

redlineman started the thread. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:00 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the laps I watched prior to driving the track seemed to help very little once I got into the car. It is not a simple track and for me, once I got into the car, it was difficult to replay those videos in my mind in a way that could guide me through the track. I think the diffculty with the videos I watched were the narrow range of view and minimal depth of focus.

My advice is to (1) if you are an advanced driver, get an instructor to ride with you the first run group, (2) take with you the written materials that list visual references and points of apex. Once you come in from your first run group, review those papers.

I don't think it is available, but ideal preparation would be to drive VIR on a video game.

VIR is a track you will want to come back to over and over again.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:04 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check out my videos page (link in signature). Look near bottom of the page for the ones dated 11/14/2005. Those have a good field of view.

And yes, I've been playing VIR on GTR all week since Christmas!!!! Its about a 90% accurate representation of the track, and a blast, just like the real thing!

Brian
Old 01-01-2006, 09:43 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

all i can say is what ever you do this year make VIR one of them!!!!
great track great corner workers great place...Mazda runs a great Event... I instruct there alot and i am also a member of the country club... have some great in car dvds that i have taken some from my 997, some from the 951 and some from the GT3....
i have a great one following a brand new cup car and Ferrari Challenge car from a month ago... rather not say who was driving the two cars in front ... but i can say they both know the track probably as well as anyone you will ever meet...

i wish i could figure out how to post the lap .. but i could maybe send out a dvd copy for you.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:49 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Brian....look at your page it is great i know the NSX guy ....

i wish i could set up a web page like that.... you need to post the viper spining at kink on front straight infront of the E36 m3 from last year,,,, i think it was at the Mazda event
Old 01-01-2006, 11:23 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't have that video. I've seen it, but I'm not sure I have it.

I'd like to see the Cup Car video. I ran down 2 Ferrari Challenge cars at the Chin event in December, had a blast with those guys.

Brian
Old 01-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

930man,
You can store video here for $5.00 for 6 months and post a link.
http://www.mpegnation.com/mnationhome/mnationhome.rsc

There may be better places or even free sites but this one works pretty well.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:05 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

hey mike thanks i will try it....

brian the ferrari guys are real good guys... pual and i dont remember the other guys name ... but dang they are loud but flat as hell through the corners!

cup car is the cdoc cup car ... i think you may know the driver he is one of the best i have ever seen...

he desrves the respect he get on the track ... Pm me with info i will try to send you a copy... the day i got was his first day in the car... brand new to him, and he was playing around doing the set up thing etc... so don judge him on whaqt you see the guy is good and fast
Old 01-01-2006, 04:06 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

mike you gonna make it down here for event this year?
Old 01-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Yup, I' ll be heading back north at the end Feb. . Going to do the two I did last year ( BMW + Mazda) and hopefully Zone 2. Does anybody know openning date for Registration for zone 2? Any of you VIR guys know anything about this car?

Last edited by Mike K.; 03-28-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

There are a bunch of videos on the mazda site. Mostly on how not to drive VIR by some guy called Crispy.
http://www.negative-camber.org/jam14...o_archive.html
If I'm not mistaken, those Ferraris are with some guy named BIGHEADDENNIS
on this board. But he apparently cannot be passed .
Old 01-01-2006, 07:55 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

yeah crispy is an alright dude .... he has no problem showing the mistakes ...i think he won the one lap america this / last year in his catagory...
i might be wrong???

Quick Reply: VIR Lap Description/Walk-Through