A/C at Le Mans

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
The other consideration is the A/C compressor. In a street car the compressor is shut off during full throttle application and I'd wonder the longevity of a component at the higher RPMs like 9500 of the RSRs.
Having been the A/C business I do not see that as a problem. Auto A/C compressors are sized and operated to produce full capacity at low RPMs. Once the RPMs climb, that additional capacity is wasted. So the first fix is to run a larger pulley on the compressor. That will reduce the HP loss by shifting the operating range up higher. Also, it may spawn a new breed of rotary compressors, that are much more efficient than the reciprocating ones. Finally, it could create a wholesale shift to electric compressors (like electric power steering pumps) that would operate at full capacity independent of engine RPM.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems to me that this would be a good opportunity to do some further development on electrically powered compressors for auto use rather than the current belt drive systems? I know that there was some work on this while the manufacturers were looking at changing to a higher voltage electrical system (40?) a few years ago. Marginally increasing the alternator's power requirements would cause less parasitic drag than adding an additioanal subsystem... though I will defer to any of the HVAC guys out there..

Z-man - "if you can stand the heat"

I think your lack of race experience is showing

The heat involved in even a 30 minute sprint race in July/August is beyond belief until you do try it. Even in bone stock 944's much less a closed Cup car. Strap on a suit an go race - and don't forgot at least 15 minutes of pre-grid time strapped in the car while the pit workers (and thanks to all of you who do that for us!) try to get the grid in correct order, plus a bog slow pace lap and you may re-think your position. And you wonder why even the fittest driver in the world (michael schumacher) in an open cockpit car has to roll up the cuffs of his gloves to get minimal cooling during a 90 minute race.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Marks
Z-man - "if you can stand the heat"

I think your lack of race experience is showing
I was just joking Matt - but yes, I don't have any track racing experience. But I have had some DE events where I'm out there for 30 minutes and it does get pretty hot in my '44 - but not enough to adversely effect me. Then again, I'm not wearing a suit, and I do have the option of either coming in, or flipping on my AC if I want to.

That said, isn't a cool suit or a FAST setup enough to keep the driver from over-exhuastion? Don't these devices rob less power from the drivetrain? Aren't most pro and semi-pro level drivers using such devices?

For reference, click here for a FAST / Cool shirt thread/discussion.

-Z.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Marks
I know that there was some work on this while the manufacturers were looking at changing to a higher voltage electrical system (40?) a few years ago.
There was (and still is) a look into changing to the 42 volt system, but the biggest problem was with the lights. The filaments were too thin, and they could not take the vibration and shock. I would think that now with the improvement in LED lighting they could overcome that problem.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z-man
What's next? A Nav system? Night vision? Cruise control?
I could see a Nav system (easily doable and not much overhead) and night vision being a big plus. I've never raced at night, but I did a night autocross (on a course I got to run 3x before nightfall) and I'll tell you, even that was very difficult. If the teams came up with nothing other than a way to increase the contrast between the track and grass/kittyliter that would be a big plus.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Geo:
While I was kidding around with Navi and CC, I agree that a night vision system would be helpful in a night time race, in terms of 'seeing' debris/animals/broken down cars on the track. I wonder if the Cadillacs that run LeMans and other 24-hour enduros have such a system in their racecars....

-Z
Old 12-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is awesome they are implementing a mandatory temp of some sort - that's totally kicka$$ and I look forward to how that trickles down to the customer in a couple of years tech-wise.

Originally Posted by Geo
I could see a Nav system (easily doable and not much overhead) and night vision being a big plus. I've never raced at night, but I did a night autocross (on a course I got to run 3x before nightfall) and I'll tell you, even that was very difficult. If the teams came up with nothing other than a way to increase the contrast between the track and grass/kittyliter that would be a big plus.
Eeek, I think the night vision scares me a bit. I have only done one night race and I know there was a LOT out there in the perifery I wasn't seeing at all. So don't get me wrong, I love the idea of greater field of vision. What scares me however is if the course workers or someone exiting their car were to ever get convinced that I can see them as well as I can during the day.

What is the value of a Navi in a race car? To tell someone pit-side where you are exactly (if you stop) or to plot other cars on track?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I had a friend who flew helicopters with the reserve after coming back from Nam. They would train in the dark for night missions and fly with night goggles. He said it was the scaries thing he did, flying with night goggles was very difficult due to a lack of depth perception.

I am sure the newer (this was 20 years ago at least) is better but I wonder if it could even be adapted for this type of use effectively. Maybe someone with recent experience could comment.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Z-man
Race Director

I suspect you wouldn't be able to use night vision goggles in a race. If a car spins out infront of you, wouldn't the headlights completely wash out the scene if wearing night vision goggles?

I would think a HUD type application, as in Cadillac's production cars would be more appropriate in a racecar.

-Z.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no way NVGs would work in a race car environment.

Greg A
Old 12-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I dunno about this...

OK, it's safer for the drivers, they aren't subject to heat exhaustion and what not but to me, that's part of the exitement (as a spectator), especially when it's 24 hour race.

And I think at least for some of the drivers, this (driver's condition) is one thing where you can be better than the next guy (i.e. Schumi who is very fit).
In a same way as lot of driver's don't like driver's aids (ABD, tracktion control etc.) because the thinking is it's easier to be good with the aides)

I mean, if we take it to the extreme, wouldn't it be better if we have three drivers, and limit the driving times to 1 hour per driver and then 6 hour rest (which means the car would have to stand in the pit for three hours). Run the 24 in 48 hours effectively.

And what about open cockpit drivers then? How do we cool them down in Malaysian heat?

I guess times back in the day when Nigel Mansell collapsed to the track or Piquet pretty much fainted at the podium, or when the "drinking system" was a bucket of water to your face are over.
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

What about the drivers whose feet are burned and blistered as a result of the heat radiated(in front engine cars) from the engine into the pedals? Should they be required to "tought it out"?

How do burned and blistered feet actually enhance the show for the fans?

Greg A
Old 12-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg A
What about the drivers whose feet are burned and blistered as a result of the heat radiated(in front engine cars) from the engine into the pedals? Should they be required to "tought it out"?

How do burned and blistered feet actually enhance the show for the fans?

Greg A
Yea, or what about the driver's who get killed when they chrash?
Let's get OSHA (those who don't know what OSHA is, see attached image showing what OSHA cowboy would look like) to check everything is perfectly safe in motor racing and limit the top speed to 25 mph and 10 mph for the turns then.

Let's be real here, someone's feet being blistered don't have much to do with a/c (proper heat insulation for the firewall would be the first thing to do), motor racing being though sport or good show for the fans.
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

And just for the record, I'm all for safety and don't ever want to see chrashes in motorsport but it's still a dangerous sport and IMO we can never make it 100% and driver's who choose to race, know it.

There could still be exiting racing even if the top speeds of F1 cars were limited to 150 mph but it just wouldn't be "right" IMO.

I believe there is and always will be danger in motorsports, otherwise it won't be called motorsports, as the quote from Hemingway says, if it was 100% safe, it would be merely a game...
Old 12-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

I guess GM and Pratt & Miller should have thought of properly insulating the firewall. I wonder why it was so hard for them to do that.

I bet a cooler cabin coupled with a better insulated firewall would make the driver's a lot happier. And I like the idea of slowing the cars down to 10mph in the corners then I'll be able to read all of the neat sponsor decals.

Greg A

Quick Reply: A/C at Le Mans