Sponsored by:

H&N restraints - need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H&N restraints - need opinions

Well, for my birthday, which is a week before Xmas, I've asked Mrs. Z if I could get a head and neck restraint device. She was a bit surprised that I would 'blow' my opportunity to get the typical electro-geeky-gadget-that-I-usually-request, but I've been wanting a H&N restraint system for a while now.

My current setup:
Redline Rollbar ( ), sport seats with pass-throughs, G-force 5-point harness, G-force hybrid (open face w/ chin guard) helmet.

Here are the options that I know of, along with the pros and cons:

Hans device
Pros: widely used, often considered 'the standard,' well tested, effective
Cons: a bit bulky, cannot be used without harnesses

Issac device
Pros: again, widely used,
Cons: A bit on the bulky side as well.

R3
Pros: doesn't require harnesses, attaches to body
Cons: Not as widely used

G-Force SRS
Pros: My G-Force helmet is already setup to accept the G-Force SRS system, attaches to body
Cons: Testing? Use? Real world application? Unknown to me. Not nearly as widely used as the other H&N systems.

Other?

My current helmet is an SA2000, so I have a couple of years before I upgrade. I don't want to restrict my choice based on helmet, so whatever I get I would like to be able to use with my next noggin protector. I am currently leaning towards the R3 or G-Force system - I like the fact that they attach to your body, instead of relying on your position in the seat.

Any suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks,
-Z.

Last edited by Z-man; 11-17-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:43 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm in the same boat but w/o the b-day...

by next season i'll be sporting a hans. why?- b/c it has become somewhat of a standard. is it for good reason? i don't know but i've seen it on the F1 grid and that means something. i'm also looking forward to getting rid of that silly neckbrace. half the time it feels too tight, half too loose, and if i skip shaving it starts "pulling" on my stubble- highly annoying

if you do a search about these devices, you'll come to a conclusion that if you lined up all the rennlist opinions end-to-end, you'll not reach a conclusion

there are proponents, as well as good arguments in every camp.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:46 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about anything other than ISAAC, but it is NOT bulky at all. In fact, I would put that in the pro column about the ISAAC. Apart from restraining your head movement a little, which ALL of them do, you do not notice the ISAAC because it does not rely on a shoulder "harness" that fits between you and the seat like the HANS and R3. Specifically, the only two points of contact between the ISAAC and the driver is the contact points on the helmet itself: Everything else remains exactly as it is now.

The ISAAC would be very easy to move to any student's car PROVIDED that the student has correct harnesses. It would not work with a stock 3 point belt -system, like the R3 could (note that HANS cannot either).

The only down side besides not being able to use in student cars with 3-points would be the fact that it is not certified, but there are reams of posts on whether that really matters or not.
Originally Posted by }{arlequin
i'm in the same boat but w/o the b-day...

by next season i'll be sporting a hans. why?- b/c it has become somewhat of a standard. is it for good reason? i don't know but i've seen it on the F1 grid and that means something. i'm also looking forward to getting rid of that silly neckbrace. half the time it feels too tight, half too loose, and if i skip shaving it starts "pulling" on my stubble- highly annoying

if you do a search about these devices, you'll come to a conclusion that if you lined up all the rennlist opinions end-to-end, you'll not reach a conclusion

there are proponents, as well as good arguments in every camp.
Get an ISAAC you loser.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:52 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

i don't know but i've seen it on the F1 grid and that means something.
I think that means alot. Alot more than any of the opinions on this board. I'm not disrespecting any other product but until I see widespread use in the top level, I have to stick to what is, HANS.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:58 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Mitch,
that's how i look at it

Todd,
what is the "correct harness" that other cars need to have? they need fancy loops or something right? seems unlikely i'll run into another car w/ those

w/ hans, you can get into any harness and cinch it down, even an isaac-friendly one
Old 11-17-2005, 01:04 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

... i don't know but i've seen it on the F1 grid and that means something.
... but I don't think it means much. F1 drivers face different situations than us. The have side rails so don't have as much concern for lateral head motion. They have custom form-fitting seats. They have obviously optimal harness placement. They aren't switching between cars so don't need portability. Lots of differences. I don't see Hans as a clear "winner" for us just cuz F1 uses them.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:15 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Todd,
what is the "correct harness" that other cars need to have? they need fancy loops or something right? seems unlikely i'll run into another car w/ those

w/ hans, you can get into any harness and cinch it down, even an isaac-friendly one
No, that is the point. With ISAAC, all you need is a basic harness setup with two straps coming over your shoulders, no special straps, no special placement, nothing. I think you have it backward with HANS, which I understand is MUCH more sensitive to harness setup. I don't think you can just take a HANS and jump into any car. For portability, the R3 is tops. The ISAAC comes in second, and the HANS comes in last.

I have seen you drive and you, my friend, are no F1 driver of course, neither am I
Old 11-17-2005, 01:51 PM
ryoji
Advanced

If you expect to go racing in few years, get Hans. If you expect to become a instructor and going DE next few years, get R3.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:57 PM
GhettoRacer
A Banned 'Haiku Victim'

could some one please post a link to R3? is that the brand? thanks. i bought an Issac for race use although i haven't had a chance to try it on track yet. but the portability issue for DE is a good point. now i'm considering getting one for DE use....
Old 11-17-2005, 02:09 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Who makes the 'R3' ?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:28 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Try www.lfttech.com
Old 11-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hans System:
Pics:

Issac System:
Pics:

R3 is made by LFT Technologies.
Pics of the unit:

Here's the G-force SRS system:
Pics:

Thanks for the input guys. Currently, I'm leaning towards the R3 system.

Keep the comments coming...
-Z
Old 11-17-2005, 02:52 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the ISAAC.

I Got my HANS in mail yesterday.

All I can say is that is seems as uncomfortable as all hell.

I got the HANS because I race and an looking at the day when a racers need an SFI 38.1 approved H&N device. The HANS does that for me. If did not need to worry about the SFI I would have gotten the ISAAC.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:04 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

All I can talk to is the HANS and I can say that the first time I wore the HANS it did seem uncomfortable. The second and future times I wore it I really liked it. I don't find it bulky at all, just restricting in head movement which takes some getting used to, but isn't that the point? I really like the feel of it now and don't have any problems with fitment or comfort - even in the 90 minute enduro.

I'm very happy I have the HANS and won't DE or Race without it. It can work under almost any harness setup - even if HANS is very specific and I'm sure it is better performing if the harness, seat, and all the angles are perfect, but it seems to me to be very beneficial.

Everyone has their own opinion, but I agree with others that this is the most widely used and therefore I feel more comfortable with a proven solution.

Good luck with your choice and let's all hope we don't have to test the performance of any of them.

-Skip
Old 11-17-2005, 03:07 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm guessing this will be just like a helmet, suit, gloves, etc...
when I first started out it all seem claustrophobic, now I don't even think about it.

Any comments on the R3 ??

looks like this is the only one for instrs. (works in all cars)

Quick Reply: H&N restraints - need opinions