Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H&N restraints - need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 03:55 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Z - one thing I think you should consider is time to put on/off. Since you typically are a steward at DE, you have to get in the car fast, or miss run time. My guess is that the Isaac or Hans are easier to get on/off vs. the R3. If it's a pain in the rear, you may not use it for some runs, which kinda defeats the purpose. Like many I will probably get the Hans, but only because I want a SFI approved product (in case PCA CR mandates it). I'd rather have the Isaacs, as I think it seems like a better overall product.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:57 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The light-hearted post:

Originally Posted by M758
Get the ISAAC.

I Got my HANS in mail yesterday.
I just spewed coffee all over my desk, Joe.

The serious post:

I recommend two things, and then I'll stay out of this:

1. Send a donation to these guys. Regardless of how our products stack up, we believe it is in everyone's best interest if information can be consolidated in one place.

2. Don't make any purchase decision for at least two weeks.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I've had my R3 for only one three day event, so these are initial thoughts. For the first run it drove me nuts, I kept trying to turn my head both left and right and for some strange reason it wouldn't move that far. This was exacerbated by the fact that it was the first time I had ever driven, or for that matter, been on the track and I was running solo. Buy the second run it was far less of a problem and by the end of the weekend was no problem at all.

The only time I had a problem with the restraint was when I overcooked turn 1 (VIR) and ended up well off track. When I turned back towards the track I could not see the flagger and I did not want to move the car any further so I unhooked the device form the helmet. This allowed me to see the flagger and enter the track while being able to make sure that no one was coming. Frankly, I would have felt uncomfortable coming back on track and not being able to turn and look down the track.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:20 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
Great... NOW you tell me!

Really that HANS does LOOK uncomfortable. I do believe it will be ok I actually get in the car and start driving. Heck just wearing a helment in the house is uncomfortable too.

You should have seen the look on my wife face as I walked around the house with my helmet and HANS on.

I do feel good in that once I get used to it this stupid thing just may save my life one day.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:33 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Thank you Tim!
I emailed the R3 co, and tried BSR site, but did not see a price at either place. Is the R3 in the 800 -1000 price range?
any other comments, like how long to put it on. take it off.

I'm thinking this is my best option.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Z - one thing I think you should consider is time to put on/off. Since you typically are a steward at DE, you have to get in the car fast, or miss run time. My guess is that the Isaac or Hans are easier to get on/off vs. the R3. If it's a pain in the rear, you may not use it for some runs, which kinda defeats the purpose. Like many I will probably get the Hans, but only because I want a SFI approved product (in case PCA CR mandates it). I'd rather have the Isaacs, as I think it seems like a better overall product.
Actually, for hopping into cars, which I just spent last weekend doing, the R3 works pretty well. You can get into the car with it on and then put your helmet on and clip it to the D rings or you can get in with the whole contraption on. That is what I found to be easiest. I leave the helmet clipped to the R3, and when I am ready, put on the helmet, and then put my arms through the belts (like putting on a vest). I climb into the car with the R3 front buckle loose, and the helmet chin strap undone. Once in the car, I buckle the R3, and then the belts. Lastly, I cinch up my chin strap. This does require that you have the passenger belts loosened in advance.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-17-2005, 04:45 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M758
...You should have seen the look on my wife face as I walked around the house with my helmet and HANS on.
Can't be as amusing as the guy I saw at the ARRC last weekend who was walking around the paddock with a HANS device and no helmet.

The absolute best is the driver who showed up at a kart track with a HANS device. When someone pointed out that karts have no belts he said, "Hey, it's better than nothing."

Sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I do feel good in that once I get used to it this stupid thing just may save my life one day.
Please be very careful with the belts. We want to keep you around so that one day you can upgrade.

Study this.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will do. Is there something on the horizon that you know....

38D: Good point about ease of exit from car - will keep that in mind.

Larry - my understanding was that the R3 unit works well when jumping from car to car, as you describe.

I am an instructor in our AX program, and there, I tend to keep my helmet on when I'm bouncing from car to car. Of course folks around me wonder WHY I'm running around with my helmet, but like I always say - let them wonder....

Thanks again for all the input - this is useful information.

-Z-man.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:53 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

The annual racing convention, the Performance Racing Industry show, will be held in Orlando the first weekend of December. Many companies use that as an opportunity to announce new products.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:10 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Please be very careful with the belts. We want to keep you around so that one day you can upgrade.

Study this.
On Monday or Tuesday I should have some in car pics of the set-up.

I do want some feed back on how all the angles look and such. I also have read that document and all my pre measurement seem to show I am ok.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:27 PM
brucegre
Banned

I've posted a few times on the R3, I have one and it works well. I have tested it, and my head and neck stood up much better than the car. It's less than a minute to put it on, and it's no hassle doing up the belts (which is critical with a HANS). I bought it because I race and instruct, so the HANS and Isaac were out for only that reason.

Bruce
Old 11-17-2005, 11:24 PM
4master
Advanced

Well, I'm a nobody but I do own an Isaac. I have used it at two events since I got it. Two 90 minute enduros and 4 sprint races. I love it. I got the link system, but will upgrade to the regular system sometime next year.

I was very comfortable with it in the first session I used it (no bull). After witnessing a serious accident during a club race in 2004, H&N restraints had been on my mind ever since. I bought my unit in August of this year. I feel much more relaxed and confident while wearing this device.

I'm not overly concerned with one device being mandated over another. If it happens (my gut says it won't) then I'll deal and get that unit. After looking at all the aforementioned devices, I liked the Issac the best. Which one is the "best"? I don't care. What's important is that a driver wear a H&N restraint.

Scott Foremaster/1985.5 I class 944/#909/ Partirdge Family Racing
Old 11-18-2005, 12:33 AM
camber799
Advanced

I chose the HANS for a lot of reasons.

1. Most corner workers know what it is and how it works. When it all goes wrong they can get you out. ISAAC is less well known and therefore may be a challenge to get out of the car - especially if the corner workers can't separate you from your harness. The hans is connected to you and therefore you can release your harness without worrying about any other connnections. You can get out of the car while still wearing the HANS without any extra steps. This could be important when your car is on fire.

2. There is not enough test results for nearly every other device. There are tests galore for the HANS as well as positive real-world results. I saw sled test video which was extremely convincing. Look for the NASCAR video. Also, HANS web site had some awesome video about how well the HANS did at preventing neck injury over the other units.

3. It is comfortable. I put mine on the first time and forgot about it in about 2 minutes. The harness concern isn't as big a deal as everyone indicates.

4. The R3 looks very promising but it looks really bulky and may be difficult to find a seat that it works with.

I am sure that most of these systems are good and are better than nothing. The above are the OPINIONS I developed after researching all of the systems mentioned. Choose and use at your own risk.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:24 AM
Benton
Drifting

The annual racing convention, the Performance Racing Industry show, will be held in Orlando the first weekend of December. Many companies use that as an opportunity to announce new products.
Possibly to showcase a new product from ISAAC? Hmm, hopefully this will be what I think it is, because I was set on an R3. If it isn't what I think it is, then I'll be purchasing an R3 sometime in the spring.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:03 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll quote myself from this thread;

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/236017-hahns-like-devices-and-de.html
Originally Posted by RedlineMan
H&N Performance - The HANS and Issac devices are the pinacle of H&N protection, both testing to a very high level of neck tension reduction. The R3 is significantly lower in this regard, but well within the range considered surviveable. The HANS device is the most demanding in terms of equipment setup to optimize it. The Isaac devices do not appear to require anything beyond a harness to make them work right. The R3 is the most versatile by far and probably would work to some degree even with a 3-point.

If you are an instructor wanting some protection no matter what car you get into, you will buy an R3.
The following offered by our resident guru;

That's probably the best summary I've ever read, John.
What is coming after PRI, we don't know, but it may be wise to excercise some patience, as Mr. Baker implies ever so subtlely.

Quick Reply: H&N restraints - need opinions