Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should racers pay for damage they cause during a race?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 05:06 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Unnecessary? Implied lack of courtesy? I'm sorry, but you have to be kidding. What is discourteous? As long as somone isn't touching me, nor are they making me move over to avoid contact by moving themselves towards me, it's all cool. I simply don't see where the problem is. This is racing. Maybe my perspective is a bit skewed from racing karts for 8 years where 1/2" is racing room, and this with open wheels.

IMHO if the other person is in control and I'm in control we can race pretty darned close. If we are driving in a straight line (such as braking before a corner), what's the big deal? I can drive straight and I think the other guy can with no problems. As for someone taking the inside line and preventing turn-in, that's racing. I just don't get the objection.
My post was related to the "scrape the paint of the door handle" comment made earlier. Yes, racing is close, and if both people are aware, then things turn out fine. However, I see no need to purposely try to inimidate a person so I can get by them. If there is room, I give it. If there is not, I don't. If I don't know the person in front of me, I may not decide to take a risky pass. Call me conservative, but my main goal is to always take my car home in one piece. Being on the podium is really pretty meaningless in club racing.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Being on the podium is really pretty meaningless in club racing.
Well yeah, now that they don't give out that $30 trophy anymore.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:39 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
My post was related to the "scrape the paint of the door handle" comment made earlier.
I am pretty sure that was meant as a cute way of saying that you should be close when you pass, rather than a car width or two apart. If you have ever been hit by someone who is clueless that you are passing them, then you understand the wisdom of this tactic.

Originally Posted by 38D
Being on the podium is really pretty meaningless in club racing.
While you may feel that way, others, including myself, certainly do not see it that way. How many here would feel that a podium at the SCCA Run-Offs is pretty meaningless? How many would feel it is pretty meaningless to podium in a field of 30 SRF's at a National race or even a Regional?

These represent very significant accomplishments and deserve (IMO) a lot more respect than your give them. You may personally feel it is meaningless but until you have really tried to acheive what you downplay, you have a pretty narrow view. Even at the lowest levels of club racing, it is an acheivment to win, place or show. Real racers put out 100% and that is why they race. If your goal is primarily to bring the car home in one piece, that is fine, but it is not full on racing when you hold that much back in reserve. Just IMO.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:44 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Some who don't would probably only say 'oh...that a$$hole !' if/when they found out.
There are some who DO that say that about you. That may even be most who know you. LOL

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Mr. Sunday Driver knows my antics up close, and we've even raced together, but just once, I think...that weird ALMS/Trans-Am/Nat'l weekend at Mid-O a few years ago ? I'll claim I beat him....he'll claim he beat me...real story is that neither of us were on the podium.
Yes, I can vouch for Herr Professors antics. It is my distinct pleasure to have attempted to teach him the difference between left and right. Not sure it worked.

While the exact order of our finish is debatable, we are in a consistent tie for podium position.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:41 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" However, I see no need to purposely try to inimidate a person so I can get by them. If there is room, I give it. If there is not, I don't. If I don't know the person in front of me, I may not decide to take a risky pass. Call me conservative, but my main goal is to always take my car home in one piece. Being on the podium is really pretty meaningless in club racing."

Collin,
T-1 racing in SCCA is at least 50% intimidation. In my limited racing experience I will say that sticking to someone's bumper for awhile will usually cause a mistake big enough to allow a pass - that's intimidation and sometimes the only way around them in a spec class where the equipment is close to even. I love club racing and can understand your goal to keep your car together, my primary goal is to win. Besides, I just got a really nice pen and calculator in a fancy wood box for winning a regional race.(Don't tell the IRS)
Hardly meaningless.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:19 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
You may personally feel it is meaningless but until you have really tried to acheive what you downplay, you have a pretty narrow view. Even at the lowest levels of club racing, it is an acheivment to win, place or show. Real racers put out 100% and that is why they race. If your goal is primarily to bring the car home in one piece, that is fine, but it is not full on racing when you hold that much back in reserve. Just IMO.
Well, I have achieved what I downplay. I was on the podium every race I did this year. My point is that being on the podium is not worth taking a stupid chance and wadding up your car. We're not trying to make a living doing this.

I'll give you an example of what I am talking about. Last year, I went up to Lime Rock to watch the SCCA regionals. In the qualifying for the SRF, there was one car that was way faster than everyone. He pulled the whole field, and had caught the back markers after about 6 laps. He caught one guy really badly down the hill and tried to pass on the inside. The other guy didn't see him, turned into him and both cars went into the wall hard. In my view, he should have waited and done the pass down the main straight where the other guy would have had a better chance to see him. Instead, neither guy got to race that weekend.

Originally Posted by seege
T-1 racing in SCCA is at least 50% intimidation. In my limited racing experience I will say that sticking to someone's bumper for awhile will usually cause a mistake big enough to allow a pass - that's intimidation and sometimes the only way around them in a spec class where the equipment is close to even. I love club racing and can understand your goal to keep your car together, my primary goal is to win. Besides, I just got a really nice pen and calculator in a fancy wood box for winning a regional race.(Don't tell the IRS)
Hardly meaningless.
I have a friend that does spec miata racing. He comes back from every race with a new series of dents and bumps. A fender for my car costs like $1200, so I'd rather not have to replace them because some idiot thinks he's in the race for the NEXTEL championship.

Btw, the 50% intimidation sounds exactly like some of the guys who would play in a basketball league I used to be in. Many of the guys were ex Div 1 players. Most were out to have fun, but a few would play like they thought a scout was gonna be there a sign them. It's not really necessary to throw an elbow in a friendly game just 'cause your flipping burgers instead of playing for the Knicks. (I am not implying you a a burger flipper). Btw, I don't consider following closely behind someone intimidation...that's just racing.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:57 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spec Miata is the same there too huh? Those guys sure have some fun though!

Quick Reply: Should racers pay for damage they cause during a race?