Shenandoah Circuit.....Awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 03:09 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 474 Posts
Default Shenandoah Circuit.....Awesome!

Just returned from two fabulous days at Shenandoah with Schattenbaum and wanted to post my thoughts.

I absolutley loved this track! After reading many posts I was reluctant to even attend this event fearing the track was not safe due to the jersey barrier and smaller run off areas.

I think that the track is very safe in that most spins occur at slow enough speed that you really don't risk heading far off the track if at all. In addition I think most spins are very tight causing the car to rotate almost in place. I think the track is a great place to learn throttle stear and am anxiuos to apply what I've learned there to other tracks.

I realise there are variuos configuations....Schattenbaum, having run and event there previuosley, used the other side of pit out as a straight which I understand is not always the case. In any event I am just so pumped to have another great track to run and the carousel is just a blast!

If anyone from Summit Pt. reads this...thanks for a great facility and a great track!

Jamie Ford

Last edited by jford; 10-18-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:46 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NNJR still has room on Oct 29-30 . . . send me an email if you are interested in a return trip!

Arlene
trackchair@nnjr-pca.com
Old 10-18-2005, 04:13 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the invite Arlene. I'm scheduled to run at Watkins Glen that weekend but am looking forward to running, for the first time, with NNJR at VIR in Novemeber.

If anyone here was reluctant to run this track I would urge you to get down there on the 29th, you won't regret it.

Jamie
Old 10-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jamie, thanks for the input! I am looking forward to our visit on the 29th and 30th, which will be my first.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:19 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Jamie. You will love it. Jamie, what run group were you?
Old 10-18-2005, 04:30 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

TD, I saw your video and post earlier. I was in black with a black 993 (blue racers tape on passengers side rear). How about you?

My brother had the red 951 with the Mike Tyson style graphics (think Iron Mike's tatoo on his face). He may be in touch with you as he had the same problem with the nock just after the fourth session on the second day. I told him of your post and the possible cause....he is now looking at his options as well. I think he is done for the season and we will have a winter project on our hands.

Jamie
Old 10-18-2005, 04:32 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob, you'll love the track our cars are perfect for it. If you're at VIR I'll track you down and say hello.

Jamie
Old 10-18-2005, 04:44 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by jford
TD, I saw your video and post earlier. I was in black with a black 993 (blue racers tape on passengers side rear). How about you?

My brother had the red 951 with the Mike Tyson style graphics (think Iron Mike's tatoo on his face). He may be in touch with you as he had the same problem with the nock just after the fourth session on the second day. I told him of your post and the possible cause....he is now looking at his options as well. I think he is done for the season and we will have a winter project on our hands.

Jamie
Hey Jamie, I thought so! I was running with you for a little while (if it is you I remember seeing your front wheel lift a little at that left-hander at the end of the back straight). I was the pesty little red 944 with white numbers (801). I think I did a fair job trying to keep up through the twisties, but I just didn't have enough ponies to keep up once we hit the longer straights. I have you on video (if you are who I think you are), so I might post it later.

Too bad about your brother's car. I may just have a winter project as well. I really want to go to VIR with NNJR (it will be my first year anniversary since I started doing DEs), but I don't know if I can pull it off.

Last edited by TD in DC; 10-18-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:00 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

TD,
I'm sorry I didn't meet you at the track. I'd love to see the video if you get the chance. Try to bring the 996 to VIR if the 951 is not ready for service. Not sure if you needed a push but I'm always ready with one...lol.

Jamie
Old 10-18-2005, 05:04 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by jford
TD,
I'm sorry I didn't meet you at the track. I'd love to see the video if you get the chance. Try to bring the 996 to VIR if the 951 is not ready for service. Not sure if you needed a push but I'm always ready with one...lol.

Jamie

Well, my little red track car is n/a, but thanks for the compliment. My buddies are trying to get me to take the 996, but I think I will pass on that. It has stock seats and three-point harnesses, and I just don't feel safe enough anymore at the speeds I can hit in that car. Sadly, it had been retired to daily driver status. I keep thinking about trading it for a Cayenne that I could use for a tow vehicle/daily driver. I like the Targa too much, so I probably will not.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:12 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

TD,
I think the video may not be me, I don't remember your car but would love to see any complete lap video from that track. In any event, I do understand your misgivings about tracking the 996 w/o the proper safety equipment.....you have 3 weeks to get it installed!

Jamie
Old 10-18-2005, 05:41 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go, Jamie. Shenandoah Lap
This is not the exact configuration you were running. We configured the track to use the Ram Site link in order to avoid the pit area. Most groups now seem to be running the pit area, which is no major issue. The rest of the track is as you ran it. There have been some changes - painted curbs, smoothing of the very bumpy transitions, etc., which server to make the track smoother since this video was shot in May this year.

I was racing on SP main over the weekend. Came over to Shenandoah a few times, to run with Marc in his new GT3 class 951, and to hang out with the guys. Seemed like everyone was getting the hang of the track and having a great time. TD's videos are much more exciting than mine.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:50 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tony. For some reason I can't get it to play, I'll keep at it.

I got a chance to head over to the main track Saturday and check out the scene. What a scene it was! Cars and stuff everywhere. Six race prepped Cobras lined up in a row....people, trailers and cars everywhere. I have to admit it was cool but a little crazy....lol.

As an aside I think I saw your Carrera at my first ever DE with Tracquest at the Glen in Oct. of 2003. I think I may have gotton a passenger seat ride with you.....are you British or maybe Australian? I had a newly purchased 964 cab (bone stock of course) and got hooked something fierce. I remember at the time thinking ..."how can these guys (the instructors) not be hitting the brakes when entering the carousel out of the bus stop". Thanks, I'm having a blast.

Oh, if it wasn't you...in the words of Rosanna Danna Danna (Gilda Radnor fron early SNL) "Never mind".

Jamie
Old 10-18-2005, 10:22 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jamie,
Your memory is right on the money! I remember you well, and both riding with you and having you in the right seat in the trusty Carrera. BTW, I'm Australian, and I'll ignore the suggested insult contained in the other option you mentioned. Great to see you have gone on to become a bona fide track rat.

Yes, the NASA race paddock is a trip. The Cobra replica racers are nice. The 944Cup field was there for our second to last race weekend. We are heading for the Glen this weekend for the last two races of the 2005 series. I'm in a fight to the death with another guy in the 944SuperCup class - my Turbo S vs his 968-powered 944S2. I need to win one of the two Glen races to defend my 2004 Series Championship.

There was a buzz of fear and loathing surrounding the Shenandoah circuit from about the point when people could see the [then unpaved] circuit and drive it in trucks. It got worse when they began to set the concrete barriers in place. AS you have seen, the reality is something entirely different. Its a terrific track, and one that calls for technique and timing rather than horsepower. It pays off handsomely when you get it right.

Not sure why you are having trouble playing the video? You Windows Media Player should be Version 10, or 9 at least. That clip has been posted since May without any problems reported. Maybe right click the link, then click Save As....
This saves a copy on your machine, which will help if you are having network problems.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:40 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tony,

I remember all the negative postings surrounding the track as it got closer to opening and just after it opened. I am even guilty of chiming in (relating to a percieved lack of run off room) on one such thread w/o having ever even seen or driven the track. In truth, I felt sort of bad for this and was anxiuos to give my thoughts after a great weekend. I'm sure it was a bit of a drag for the owners to put so much time and money into something like that and have so much negative feedback. Time to get opinion moving the other way as I see it.

Yes, a track rat indeed...even rented the Glen myself last Oct. in an ill fated attempt to throw my own event..I ran it through admin. posts here and was later bailed out a bit by my local PCA chapter. Next season I will be instructing with them and am loooking forward to giving a little back.

Congrats on your success in the cup series..it looks like a blast. I must make it to one of the races next season with my 951 driving brother (he had the supercharged red convertable mustang as the TQ event where we met). In the interim I'll look for you at a future DE...I'm at the Glen with TQ (now Chin Motorsports) at the end of the month then a first ever trip to VIR with NNJR in Nov.

Thanks again Tony and good luck this weekend. BTW, sorry about the slight...I spend a month or two in Bali each year (work/pleasure) and like the Aussies(sp.) very much.

Jamie

Quick Reply: Shenandoah Circuit.....Awesome!