Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video: Drifting "accident"

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 12:26 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sure he was killed, thorax took a direct rollover, pathetic.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

If someone was killed in a video Big-Boys.com won't post it.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Jon Schepps
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks to me as though at some point his throttle may have stuck, and he was doing donuts to avoid running into the crowd. Afterall, the car is still spinning even after he got out. And it appears that he started to wave his arm, as though calling for help, just before getting whacked by the door.
Not that this is an excuse for his actions, but maybe getting out of the car was more an act of desparation rather than shear stupidity...... but maybe not!

Jon.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:27 PM
JWERION
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have ever seen one of these competitions on TV you would know that the throttle sticking and the getting out of the car is part of the show. This is the particpants way of saying "Hey look at me see how cool and brave I am" and in this case how dumb. The car was moving slowly when it hit him and where I hope he is not seriously injured I hope he didn't walk away unscathed after a stupid stunt like that.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:05 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FixedWing
...Anyway, someone gets run over by a car and they likely get killed. Remember that while you're all laughing. And let's see how many people laugh when someone does something really dumb in a race car and gets their brains splattered as a result.

Stephen
Lighten up Frances. The video is hilarious in a *cringe* kind of way.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Jon Schepps
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jwerion- You mean people actually do this routinely as part of a competition? OK, then nevermind, I lost any sympathy I had for the guy.
Jon.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:17 PM
JWERION
Advanced

Jon, One of my employees is in to this sector of motorsports so my limited knowledge comes from him. They are called tuners or imports and an event may consist of drifting, drag racing, burn out contests, etc. This accident appeared to be at a freestyle drifting contest. I have watched one of these events on speed TV called NOPI tuners or some thing like that. The most rediculous contest is the burn out. They put the front tires in some sort blocks or modify the car so just the front brakes work and they burn the rear rubber in place until the tires explode or disintegrate. Hundreds of people stand around in the tire smoke yelling and screaming cheering the driver on. I have no idea how they determine the winnner. I don't get it but them again I don't get the fascination with NASCAR either.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:31 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the tyres are spinning fast enough and the rubber gets hot enough then the rubber just about melts and there would be almost no friction. It would be as if the car was on ice. Think of the drag racer's burn-out to warm up their tyres. So if he had some way of keeping the throttle open, he literally could get out of the car and swing the car around him. I'd guess that was what he was trying to do.

Stephen
Old 10-10-2005, 12:40 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jon Schepps
It looks to me as though at some point his throttle may have stuck, and he was doing donuts to avoid running into the crowd. Afterall, the car is still spinning even after he got out. And it appears that he started to wave his arm, as though calling for help, just before getting whacked by the door.
Not that this is an excuse for his actions, but maybe getting out of the car was more an act of desparation rather than shear stupidity...... but maybe not!

Jon.
You're giving these idiots too much benefit of the doubt. Up until he ran himself over (geez, think about that for a minute) he was doing exactly what he intended to do.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:49 AM
James-man
Race Car

People will try dangerous stunts, Evel Kneivel is a hero to some folks. Two mistakes that this guy made:

1) Failure to have a safety kill cord
2) He took his eyes off the car as he waved to the crowd

If he had only made one mistake, the stunt may have been successful. #2 is what nailed this guy.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:00 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Imagine for a moment the possibility if the car didn't use it's driver as a wheel chock.
What if the car had veered off into the crowd with it's pedal trapped to the floor. It would make those rally-car-goes-into-the-crowd clips look tame.
Let's hope Darwin got it right and this clown wasn't able to reproduce!
Old 10-10-2005, 12:52 PM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

What if the car had veered off into the crowd with it's pedal trapped to the floor. It would make those rally-car-goes-into-the-crowd clips look tame.
Let's hope Darwin got it right and this clown wasn't able to reproduce!
Exactly!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 02:44 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

reminds me of the saying...

your purpose in life may just be: a warning to others.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:35 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Can anyone find the original video?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:16 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

This seems to match the description from the earlier post

Quick Reply: Video: Drifting "accident"