Sponsored by:

LMP1 CRASH TURN ONE AT ROAD ATLANTA

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 01:22 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LMP1 CRASH TURN ONE AT ROAD ATLANTA

Quote Al Unser Jr. "I never think about gaining position on the start but not loosing position"

As a novice driver and never driven at road atlanta, who was at fault for the turn one crash????? After watching the replay, despite the poor angles, I think that Lehetto had he not forced the outside line would have left room for the middle car to track out as he was aligned with the inside car thru the corner.

What a devastating lapse in judgement for a 10 hour race. Lehetto was susposedly reved up all weekend. He may need to switch to decaf.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:24 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

i agree, a stupid mistake that took out all three top cars. patience, patience.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:38 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

I thought it looked more like Shimodo's fault, but agree that in a 10 hour race, what are you doing forcing things in the first turn of the race??
Old 10-03-2005, 01:47 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Turn 1, Lap 1 - What a bunch of asshats. Professional drivers, just like amateur drivers, are sometimes too stupid for words. Helmet squeezing brains out the earholes, apparently.

As a veteran of mucho endurance racing (two 24 hours, thirteen 10-13 hours, innumerable 3-6 hours, etc. etc. etc.), I've seen it happen all too often.

Witnessed my favorite one thru the windshield - T1 L1 of a 3 hour at Lime Rock - nine cars tangled up, 5 unable to continue. I was laughing pretty hard as our toughest competition rolled down pit lane after the 'black flag all'...no two tires were pointed in the same direction...car looked like a sandcrab. Har.

Big budgets + fast pro drivers DO NOT = smart driving.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fryd
I thought it looked more like Shimodo's fault, but agree that in a 10 hour race, what are you doing forcing things in the first turn of the race??
I agree on both counts, JJ was so much ahead of Shimodo that I can't blame him even though it's certainly grazy to push that hard on first turn on lap of 10 hour race, and that goes for all those three guys.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

a lotta 20/20 hindsight vision here.
The world changes, welcome to the 10 Hour sprint race.
I have spoken at length with the best Enduro team manager in the world about these sorts of situations. His attitude? '**** happens'. To him the most important thing is that his drivers go out and drive to their rhythm. For him, breaking that rhythm is the crime, not roughing up some of the other competitors. One of his contributions to his cars was making sure they could be driven a lap on two wheels. The real triumph is the speed at which the damaged car was able to go out and lap after being rebuilt

R+C

In this frst corner accident, there was a foolish newbie, go figure.

Quick Reply: LMP1 CRASH TURN ONE AT ROAD ATLANTA