Confessions of a Former (and potentially future) HP Junkie

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 03:11 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjanes
Hmm, I find that the 911 (the older cars at least) don't want to turn at all if you try the enter the corner on the throttle. For tighter corners, a little (or a lot) of trail braking is very useful in getting the car to rotate, but even in the faster corners, I don't complete the brake release until I'm starting to turn the wheel. This keeps some weight on the nose of the car to help it change direction. There are very few corners that I can think of where I'm fully off the brake and on the gas while still in a straight line. Now once the car has started to turn, the throttle is needed to settle the back end.
Sure, I should have been more precise. I didn't mean to dismiss the notion of braking to allow getting more weight on the nose to help the car turn. And certainly, in my track car, if I get too bold, too quickly with the throttle midcorner the car will push (although I think a lot of this can be tuned out in the end). Alternately, if I've overcooked something, had to freewheel through a corner mouthing whoa, whoa holy crap... (which thankfully doesn't happen that often anymore ) I find that the steering tends to be less precise and understeer is the primary tendency.

While there are a number of corners I trail brake, I do it more out of a desire to be smooth and speedy, rather than trying to get the car to turn in (which TB obviously aids in). Persumably for most corners one has already down some slowing down, which has caused weight transfer which facilitates rotation. I haven't particularly noticed in my 911 a tendency to be obstinate about turning in. (This might be down to the fact that I'm too slow, overbraking or simply a lummox of course) I was observing that I've not found the 996 wanting in either precision or responsivness if your doing something with the car, if your just coasting or on maintaince throttle, then indeed it's steering seems too be less satisfying than other cars I can think of (like a 944!).
Old 09-04-2005, 10:54 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Late the party, and on a strange computer to boot;

Todd; I see your "problem." Too much roll stiffness, and a basic "imbalance" in your spring rates. 300lb front springs are not much compared to a 30mm t-bar. Add in those M030 bars that are too big for a car that light, and that would make for a twitchy car.

The dirty little secret about sways is that they don't control it on track cars! They only control sway on soft street cars. On stiffer track cars they are relegated to balance tuning. Your bars are so stiff compared to the springs that they are effecting weight transfer too much; actually decreasing grip in transisition by taking load off the tires at the critical moment.

I use Weltmeister bars, and they are borderline too stiff at 28mm front. I have it at full soft and still have a bit too much roll stiffness. I have to be careful in trail braking because of that.

Joe - GET RID OF THE REAR TOE OUT. If you can control a toed-out car, you are either Senna or you are going SLOW. Toe out is diabolical. Itmust be absolutely EVEN side to side or it will bite you. It also makes braking a real adventure. It really is not the thing to do on that car.

You should go with factory 5/64 total toe in until you get more seat time and then work your way toward 0 toe, but only if you feel you need more rotation for turn in.

Reporting Live from Brockville, Ontario.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
GET RID OF THE REAR TOE OUT.
Bah! Toe out rear is more funnerer

Originally Posted by TD in DC
The good thing about starting with the 996 is that I am not afraid to go pretty fast into corners (although I am sure I can enter much, much faster). I am not sure that I would have felt as confident at speed if I has started from day one in a 20 year old car. I guess I will never really know
That's a very interesting comment. I kind of think it eventually becomes and act of frustration that you just continue to try get the car into the turn faster thinking thats the only way it can exit quicker. You might find at some point that certain turns leave you w/ that as your only option to gain exit speed and I think that's what helps you push the car a bit more on entry. Not saying the 996 doesn't play the role you suggest (I have zero frame of reference to agree or disagree), but I do find it very interesting.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:32 AM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Joe - GET RID OF THE REAR TOE OUT. If you can control a toed-out car, you are either Senna or you are going SLOW. Toe out is diabolical. Itmust be absolutely EVEN side to side or it will bite you. It also makes braking a real adventure. It really is not the thing to do on that car.
i know, i know, you've told me that before. problem is i live in a small town where nobody knows how to align the rear of a porsche, and my job prevents me from easily going to the city to get it done. but......i'm going to get the alignment tool so that the locals can learn how to do it.

i definitely appreciate your input, though. wish i had the same suspension knowledge you do
Old 09-04-2005, 11:39 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to worry Joe;

I GOT that knowledge by starting as clueless as you! I've got plenty of loner "t-shirts" if you are running low.

Quick Reply: Confessions of a Former (and potentially future) HP Junkie