Sponsored by:

Grandam vs World-Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 02:05 PM
stfiacre
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grandam vs World-Challenge

GT3 Cup cars race in both, but it seems that the cup cars have had more success at the WC than at GA, with the recent wins of Henzler, Liddell, and Aschenbach at Denver. Is it that cars at GA are not as evenly matched with weight/hp combo as they are at WC? It seems that some cars have a significant advantage to others in the GA - GT class. Anyone else have an opinion on this.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Glenn from Denver
Instructor

First of all, they aren't the same cars at all. The WC cars are modified Cup cars (engine, suspension, brakes, rear wings and other bodywork allowances). They run at different weights too.

The other thing that is quite different in between the two series is that the WC equalizes the CARS by giving them different base weights, tire sizes and air restrictions. They try to equalize the DRIVERS by giving the successful drivers REWARDS weight. If you win, you get penalized by getting temporary weight added until you are more equal to the other drivers. As your performance suffers, the weight is gradually reduced.

The WC regs make for exciting racing but do not show the potential performance of the driver/car combinations. The GT class regs also try to do similar things to equalize the cars but the concept of REWARDS weight doesn't exist.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:31 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It is all about the rules.

Speed GT GT3 Cups run more powerfull motors than a standard cup car. The details of the rules are adjusted quite frequently to ensire competitiveness

In grand am the GT cars run a rather stock GT3 cup. Plus the overall rules are different and I don't believe they make as many mid season rules updates.

In grand am cup the 911 are 996's not GT3's.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:23 AM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 448 Likes on 267 Posts

The WC GT cars and the Rolex Grand Am cars are much different...........WC cars are developed much more...

GMG
Speed GT #14 996 Cup GT

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 08-18-2005, 12:56 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by M758
It is all about the rules.

Speed GT GT3 Cups run more powerfull motors than a standard cup car. The details of the rules are adjusted quite frequently to ensire competitiveness

In grand am the GT cars run a rather stock GT3 cup. Plus the overall rules are different and I don't believe they make as many mid season rules updates.

In grand am cup the 911 are 996's not GT3's.
There is quite a bit of politics at play as well in GA. Don't forget who owns GA!!

I'm convinced that BMW has an unfair advantage that GA does nothing about because they don't want to have an all Porsche series like some other series.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget that GA has done just about everything possible short of banishment to prevent another 911 from claiming an outright victory at the Daytona 24.

Greg A
Old 08-18-2005, 01:32 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Grand-Am seems to have really put the GT3 Cups in Rolex and the 996/997's in Grand-Am Cup at a disadvantage. I suspect the Grand-Am orginazation was determined not to have Porsche dominate this year, particularly in the Cup division where they let the Mustang run with a full 400 plus hp race engine. Now the Rolex GTO has been allowed to run without the restrictor as well, giving it the edge in Rolex GT. Grand-Am has been increasing their market share, so as much as it stinks to artificially rig the rules against Porsche, the results seem to be a positive for them. I can't help but think many of the teams running Porsches will defect to other series if this continues though. Porsche has always been there for Grand-Am, and they should be more even-handed with the obvious mismatches they are sanctioning in their "rules".
Old 08-18-2005, 01:38 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at TRG. They have a sweatheart deal the Pontiac and I bet Buckler may move totally away from Porsche.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ha ha...when I first saw this thread title, I read it as....

"Grandma vs World-Challenge"

Huh?

Quick Reply: Grandam vs World-Challenge