Sponsored by:

Pros and Cons of the belt cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Question Pros and Cons of the belt cover

As I wonder around the paddock looking over race-prepped cars, I've noticed that many of the front engine water pumpers have removed their belt covers. I assume that this is so that they can be inspected and adjusted more easily. However, I would also think that there is a greater chance of debris getting in with the belts and causing wear. Since I'm in the process of doing my belts and rollers, now seems like a good time to ask this question, should I leave the cover or remove it?
Old 08-09-2005, 04:05 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have mine off on my race car only.

I have run my car at track events since 2000 and never once had any issues with debris in the belts. This includes a number of trips in the desert or grass. I do run the stock under tray however to prevent crap from going in there.

With belts off I check of tension or even a retighten is short job. Also this allows me to check for leaks faster and spot them faster. I never have to spend time pulling the covers if I hear noise either.

On street car you are not doing all those checks so it is better to leave it on.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:39 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks Joe. I'll likely leave the cover off and put the undertray back on.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:43 PM
moliver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too leave both covers off, and the undertray on. I like the ease of tensioning and also keeping track of leaks.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:33 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

I don't really see any con to the covers. If I'm worried about leaks, I should do better maintenance before I get to the track. What I'm worried about is crap getting in there, and some amazing junk can get in there. I run with the engine tray - of course - and I also have to covers on. I have modded my top cover, cutting the top part off so that I can do a visual/feel test whenever I want.

Knowing the crazy things that can happen, I feel better with my belts protected.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our covers are off on the track car too. I'm building a spare street engine and I'm debating about the covers... I'm leaning toward leaving them off simply because I like em off but that's just me and my car's only duty is about 3500 fun good weather miles a year.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:42 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Belt covers on, based only on the principle that $h!t happens, and reducing the opportunities is a good thing.

I dont have belly pans on my car simply because they did not come with the car. Maybe I should go get a set?
Old 08-13-2005, 08:16 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tony;

The car should run cooler with them on, and will be more aerodynamic. An 89 951 might be going fast enough to get a little aero benefit. They also keep a lot of crap out from under the hood. Like the piece of steel rebar a friend hit on the highway that pierced the tray but did not quite make it into the belt casing!!!
Old 08-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

I dunno, but I figure if highly-paid Porsche engineers put a cover on it, then I should leave it alone. Easy enough to pull a few 10mm bolts and check in there as needed.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:57 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No covers. I have seen too many close calls with even fairly new belts. Run with the belly pan, and there is not much that can happen. I do however have a friend who FAILED tech for a PCA DE because his front belt cover was off. Better check with the authority in your area before you pull them.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of the belt cover