Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First DE in the 944 and I Think I Did the Right Thing!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 02:21 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I missing something? I did not hear that the car at W.G was on fire
Old 08-04-2005, 02:24 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by kurt M
Am I missing something? I did not hear that the car at W.G was on fire
Nope. I think that they were responding to my statement that: "I would use a driving suit, but overheating seems to be a more tangible risk than fire at this point, and I would feel a little silly as a newbie white driver with a full driving suit. I am open to rethinking."

A driving suit is the one of the last safety items I can think of that I could potentially use. I just received notice that my ISAAC has been shipped. You don't use a driving suit. What are your thoughts on the issue?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:38 PM
John Brown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
... You don't use a driving suit. What are your thoughts on the issue?
Todd, serious question here. What risk are you addressing with the fire suit?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:41 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by John Brown
Todd, serious question here. What risk are you addressing with the fire suit?
Well, I am starting with the premise that there is more risk associated with using a firesuit in DEs than with wearing normal cotton clothing. Specifically, I am more worried about getting brain fade from getting too hot than I am about catching on fire. That is why I have never considered getting a suit. I am just trying to make sure that my reasoning is correct. There are a lot of things about tracks and safety that are not immediately obvious, at least not to me.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:07 PM
John Brown
Instructor

Nah. You got it right. My question was obtuse; a mistaken bumbling effort at the Socratic method. My fault.

Point being, since the fire suit is presumably for a percieved risk (of fire); can an elevated risk of same be identified. Specfically, a fire risk that would be addressed by the fire suit. Not just any old fire.

For example. Every now and again, because we push them hard, a motor compartment will catch on fire from oil (seal failure maybe) or fuel rail breaks. The response is to stop. Get out. Walk away. Fire suit utility in mitigating risk = zero.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:11 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by John Brown
Nah. You got it right. My question was obtuse; a mistaken bumbling effort at the Socratic method. My fault.

Point being, since the fire suit is presumably for a percieved risk (of fire); can an elevated risk of same be identified. Specfically, a fire risk that would be addressed by the fire suit. Not just any old fire.

For example. Every now and again, because we push them hard, a motor compartment will catch on fire from oil (seal failure maybe) or fuel rail breaks. The response is to stop. Get out. Walk away. Fire suit utility in mitigating risk = zero.
My new car also has a fire supression system that shoots foam both into the passenger and engine compartments, which should help out in that situation. Kurt threatened to pull the pin on it when I am not around so that he could replicate the old shaving cream commercials and laugh as I have to clean it out
Old 08-04-2005, 04:37 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I will admit that I did not use a fire suit unitil I was required to do so for racing. That said I wear the suit when ever I drive my 944-spec except for autocross. During autocross I am in the car a very short time and standing alot.

For me it has become habit and while it does get warm the suit does not seem to overheat me any. I do sweat profusely in it in warm conditions however.

That said I am young (31) and in decient shape. I feel it is worth it even if I am just doing a DE. While I have not seen a fire at a DE would not be comfortable in that car without a suit. (plus look cool in it )

I don't have any reason other than.... it might happen. As I think about however it does seem that a fire suit and head and neck device both expensive items that protect you in certain incidents, but not all. They can be a hinderance at times, but you can get used to them. Really with that logic there is no reason NOT to have a H&N device. The only thing that seprates them is there being no "requirement" in and club level racing org for one. Not yet anyway.

Interesting....
Old 08-05-2005, 03:47 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default learning in a Non PSM car

Hi TD, I think you made a smart move.

I also agree a fire suit will be another smart move. (anyone who has seen a fuel fire will agree). over time, you'll learn to deal with the heat, and sweat, and it will not be an issue. (just as most feel funny wearing a helmet... initially but later, never think about)

I wear mine all the time, on a hot track... gloves and shoes too. you just never know....

I think your comments on ease of learning on a non PSM car are right on... and follow some of the threads appearing lately.

the best part of the momenteum car, is it will make you really fast in the 996, and should give you the seat of the pants feel lacking in the PSM cars. I think you'll master the track much faster in the 944.

I wish more DE drivers shared your approach.

fwiw: the na 944 needs to get moved to ITA, with ballast added. as its not very competitive in ITS any more. (at least in SE div) The bad side of SCCA is there is no 13/13 rule, so theres a lot of door banging, so you're really better off in PCA. PBOC, and NASA events, as all use the 13/13 rule, so contact is much more limited.

lastly watch this and go buy a suit....

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/japancrash.html

as my dad use to said, 'God only gave you one ***, and damm it, its already got a hole in it'

-I'll be looking forward to hearing how you feel in the 996 after a year or two. pls share the lessons learned.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:18 AM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi, Todd,

Nice writeup... I'm sure you'll get even better as you get more seat time in the 944...

gb
Old 08-12-2005, 09:21 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by 944Ecology
Hi, Todd,

Nice writeup... I'm sure you'll get even better as you get more seat time in the 944...

gb
Thanks George! I am sure we will be seeing more of each other (and you will be seeing more of my credit card) now that I have joined the FEWC crowd I liked the gauge surround so that my speedo won't fall out again and I look forward to receiving the steering column so that I can replace the temporary repair of my needle bearing/column with a permanent one.

TD
Old 08-12-2005, 03:57 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
as my dad use to said, 'God only gave you one ***, and damm it, its already got a hole in it'
Bill - I'm going to be quoting you on that one!
P.S. Heading to Sebring w/ Chin Motorsports on the 28th - hope to see you there!
Old 08-12-2005, 04:17 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Hey Bill,

I just saw your post. Thanks for the comments. With respect to the 996, I have been having another crazy idea: I am considering selling it. This whole plunge into the track car/trailer/tow vehicle realm has been a little more costly than I predicted. I imagine it will only get worse when I start trying to race (who knows how soon that will be). I think I like driving on the track so much more than I like driving on the streets that I am wondering whether I should just sell the 996. I am resisting the thought because I really like it, but I wonder how much longer I can resist common sense.

TD in DC
Old 08-12-2005, 07:58 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Just think, with all the money you'll save, you'll be able to pick up a nice 951 and hot-rod it for the street driving! We'll get you yet, my pretty! You and your little car!!!
Old 08-13-2005, 04:39 PM
DrRon
Instructor

TD

Great to see you are having fun with the 44 - they are wonderfully forgiving track tools!

With respect to safety - was at a Belgian track yesterday, at something that is probably comparable to your DE, and there were a couple of 944's on the track - one caught fire in a bad way, but the driver (fully kitted out) was able to get out, and even assist in putting out the fire. I like to think that the full suit he was wearing, gave him more time to respond to the fire. Nobody in the pits ever thought he looked silly - we were driving what you would probably call an extremely slow car (like 110 bhp), and were not wearing suits because I guess we did not think anything would happen in such a slow car (compared to our regular 350 bhp car) - guess who was in the pits feeling *very* silly. Having seen this from very closeby, I don't think we will ever compromise safety again. Get the suit!
Old 08-14-2005, 01:16 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey TD, selling the 996 may not be a bad financial decision.
-Thats up to you, But not my point.

Once you get a few years in the 944, you should be so much faster as you wont be using the brakes in the 996. And I think you'll have the seat of the pants car control missing in the newer PSM cars.

Before you get too carried away, think about what your goals are. do you really want to win a championship, or just learn and have fun. remember its all about a $20 bowling trophy...

But if you're like me, after a few years, you'll be buying new hoosiers every weekend, cause thats what the front runners do, and $6K for triple adjustable shocks dont seem so expensive, when that guy who just put them on, picked up half a second a lap.
try to set a goal now, and follow thru.

good news, is the car is safer than the 996, and if you roll it up in a ball, cheap to replace, as all the expensive parts should move over to the new roller.

-lastly, if you drive it to the track, wear the harness, and make sure you have good padding anywhere you head & body could hit the bars. otherwise is more dangerous.

I will look forward to your posts as time passes... you could set an example many others may learn from.

best of luck!

Quick Reply: First DE in the 944 and I Think I Did the Right Thing!